• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Rune Factory 4 (3DS) - Neverland's swan song

CfM3Unw.jpg

I just bought Rune Factory 4 FINALLY during the recent eShop sale for only $19.99 CDN, and I must say, I'm loving it so far! :D

I've already done a few requests, did some farming, mostly prologue stuff, but so far it's been giving a great early impression!

neverlandlogoeio9i.jpg

This was the last game officially by Neverland (bar a tiny mobile game from what I could tell). Some key members worked with Marvelous after the bankruptcy on Lord of Magna for 3DS, but there's no indication that the team remained there, and there's still no sign of Rune Factory 5. Hopefully Marvelous will get the Lord of Magna team on Rune Factory 5 for Switch (likely with some assistance, maybe from the Story of Seasons team).

I actually played Rune Factory Frontier on Wii prior, so it's not my first RF or Neverland game. I remember loving Frontier, and was initially sad when 4 went more like the DS predecessors. But honestly, it works beautifully this way.

The game runs beautifully well. It runs in 60fps (haven't tested 3D yet), the backgrounds are nicely pre-rendered, and the models look pretty good (aside from the 3DS menu, they look a bit iffy there). It's actually a pretty looking game. You got lots of little details like birds flying around, weather effects, etc. Adds a nice amount of style and grace, but not enough funny faces...

I really like the system they have here with the request system, giving orders to upgrade and organize festivals (reminds me of Little King Story in fact), the farming is cool, and I haven't even gotten to the monster stuff yet in the game!

The character interactions have a lot of personality, very impressed so far with this!

My concern though is how it handles breakable objects. I accidentally hit my shipment box with my axe, and after saving it, I tested, and it showed you can break it after hitting it like 12 times or so.

1. You CAN regain important items you break... right?
2. If you hit something, does it heal as long as you don't break it?

So far, an easy 8/10 from me. Miss you lots Neverland. :(

Screenshots:

page_11_screenshot_3tsrcd.png
scr_496_top_rightbfqd5.png

page_13_screenshotavogl.png

Ventara

One of my favourite 3DS games. It's a real shame Neverland shut down. The main Harvest Moon games can barely hold a candle to Rune Factory 3/4.

Regarding your questions, yes you can buy important items again that have been broken. Not sure about your second question.

Top Bottom