• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed: An amazing couch "co-op" game

Armaly

Absolutely love this game. I did notice that C, B, and A class have speed caps on you when I played with my cousins once. This prevented me from lapping the AI. On expert the caps come off and you're free to do whatever.

SASRT was the GOAT even if they eventually turned into SONIC & LITERALLY ANYONE WE COULD AFFORD RACING after a while with youtube stars getting into the mix. Fuck that yogcast guy has the absolute worst voice pack.

The guy literally just SCREAMS when he gets shot or gets items, the fuck.

I get it was for charity but ffs, that voice pack.
Yeah i'm glad I avoided buying this dlc. Everyone I know that has it complains about the voice.

Also, don't forget that you can have ranked private lobbies.

RK128

Considering this year is Sonic's 25th Anniversary, I would love for Sumo Digital to put out a remaster of this on PS4/X1 that has 1080p/60FPS, all the PC character DLC (Ryo) and exclusive PC Franchise characters and the Outrun DLC stage.

Would be a great way to kick off the year and a nice way for people who love racers to celebrate the anniversary :).

studyguy

Sumo absolutely needs to make another Kart Racer title. I don't care what franchise it is, they clearly know their shit.

PSqueak

Banned
After the slick 60fps presentation of Mario Kart 8, S&ASRT feels a bit like you're going in slow motion, but it's definitely still playable.

A small price for the benefit of being able to play absolutely every single mode in the game 5 players local vs and co-op, including having those 5 players go online.

RK128

Sumo absolutely needs to make another Kart Racer title. I don't care what franchise it is, they clearly know their shit.

I wouldn't be surprised if after work on supporting LBP3 wraps up, they will either migrate into making a Crash Kart Racer (assuming Sony owns the IP this year or they are in some deal for it) or another Sonic Kart Racer (maybe for 2017?)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
It's a fantastic game. I love it to death, one of the best arcade racers I've ever played, maybe THE best.

Ryo and Vyse are my favorite racers. Steam version is awesome.

Kinsei

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if after work on supporting LBP3 wraps up, they will either migrate into making a Crash Kart Racer (assuming Sony owns the IP this year or they are in some deal for it) or another Sonic Kart Racer (maybe for 2017?)

Here's hoping. Sumo is the best arcade/kart racing dev studio around IMO

They've said in the past that they'd like to do a Mario and Sonic racer. I know it'll never happen, but I stll hold on to hope.

Tealmann

A third SEGA Allstars Racing game can't come soon enough.
I almost want someone to pay for console exclusivity so we can have console and PC crossplay like Rocket League or Killer Instinct.

The Mario Kart similarities are little more than surface-deep. Actual racing mechanics make it feel so much more satisfying in moment-to-moment gameplay, that referring to it as a "kart racer" feels pretty disingenuous.

i don't disagree, but i think you'll admit there are obvious reasons why this gets thrown up against Mario Kart as a comparison (beyond my own anecdotal reasons). it is really a shame though, because the sense of speed and super drifty controls really do put it more in league with games like Blur, F-Zero and Wipeout.

bman94

Me and my friend played this for hours when I first got it for Wii U. I've never beaten the career mode since it just gets outright brutal towards the end.

edit:
A third SEGA Allstars Racing game can't come soon enough.
I almost want someone to pay for console exclusivity so we can have console and PC crossplay like Rocket League or Killer Instinct.

Nintendo needs to play captain "save a franchise" again and get this as an exclusive. It'll probably sell better on a Nintendo platform anyway.

Brizzo24

That's one game that would benifit a lot from an HD remaster.
That game @60fps / 1080p would be absolutely amazing and probably super impressive visually.

I bought it cheap for the WiiU but after playing Mario Kart 8 for countless hours, the framerate (peaks at 30) kept me from really enjoying it. Had I not been coming from MK8 I would've liked it a lot more :/

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
It's much better now than it was at launch though, at least the Wii U version.
This glitch was pretty hilarious, though.

Yep, distinctly remember that exact glitch happening to me.

Just found this old post on another message board:

R09DohEl.jpg

One of these days I'm gonna have to go back and unlock all of the mods....and try to tackle some of those time trials.

Nyx

It was one of my fav 360 games and definitely a contender for best kart racer ever.

Would buy a current gen Sumo kart racer day one.

Tealmann

Nintendo needs to play captain "save a franchise" again and get this as an exclusive. It'll probably sell better on a Nintendo platform anyway.

That's not what I meant, I want a bigger online pool, not a smaller one.
Also Nintendo exclusive means no 1440p 60fps

Amen OP - my wife and I had a blast on the PS3 version, and I love the game so much, I've since played it on both Vita and PC to varying degrees. Truly my favorite Kart racer of all time (I certainly prefer it to MK given I love old school Sega so much, though I don't know if definitely I'd say it's the better game - they're actually very different beasts).

Daingurse

It's amazing on the PC. Everyone should buy it.

Yep, it's incredible on PC, easily my favorite kart racer ever. Admittedly I have still not played MK8, but I frankly have a hard time believing it could top Transformed PC for me. SEGA nostalgia simply has way more pull with me, it's what I grew up on.

One of the best Steam pickups ever. I always have this installed for just jumping into a race whenever. It's so smoooooooooooth.

This game has been on my to buy list for a while. Ugh. I'm on a game buying ban for a little while. Well, I'm sure I'll find it when I'm buying again.

jcjimher

I second your opinion that a PS4/Xbone "definitive edition" port at 1080p/60fps with the PC DLC (Ryo, Metal Sonic, and the Outrun 2 track) seems like a no brainer decision for Sega.

It must be an easy port, and with the word-of-mouth slow success of the Steam version, and no competition on the genre on those platforms, I wouldn't be surprised if it had more success than even on the PS3/360 original release.

Unless they were preparing a third installment...

If you've not played it I'd definitely recommend getting the first game, although I played the PS3 version so I'm not too familiar with how it played on other platforms.

It had a bigger focus on single-payer however, and included missions similar to the Mario Kart Wii events they used to have, which were fun. It also had a better roster in my opinion, although there was a lot of Sonic (Heroes) stuff in the game, and I preferred the more traditional nature of it.

Transformed had a few tracks from the original, which are the ones that didn't have transform sections. If you enjoyed those as much as the rest of the tracks you'll enjoy the original game.
I wouldn't recommend playing the first game. I tried it well before Transformed and loathed it to the point of almost not giving its sequel a chance. Felt slow and controlled sluggishly, uninspired track design and the overall balance was completely out of whack. Aged much worse post-Transformed and it has a crummy PC port to boot.

That said, I do agree that some of the single player content was executed better in the original and that it chose better, more varied characters for its roster. Far less grating of an announcer, too.

Good game, but the original version is even better. Better weapons, controls, and racing.
I disagree with every bit of this.

So I finally picked this up for the Wii U, taking advantage of that BB GCU discount but noticed that my copy is no longer the Bonus Edition, does this mean I am SOL and should return it and hunt for a bonus edition copy, or did they maybe just patch it to include everything, or is it possible to purchase dlc for it?

So I finally picked this up for the Wii U, taking advantage of that BB GCU discount but noticed that my copy is no longer the Bonus Edition, does this mean I am SOL and should return it and hunt for a bonus edition copy, or did they maybe just patch it to include everything, or is it possible to purchase dlc for it?

Pretty sure the bonus edition content is exclusive to the bonus edition, but it's nothing amazing. Metal Sonic, an Outrun track (one of my least favourite tracks, so I don't care much for it) and a few stickers for your profile card.

Love this game. Still hoping they'll announce a sequel for PS4, but even a remaster would make me happy. There are not many games like it for non-WiiU consoles...

Nights87

I had it on PS3.

It was amazing, until it corrupted my save file. Was a good way through expert mode. Hours and hours of repeating challenges lost.

BEWARE. Backup your ps3 save file if you play this game. Game sometimes crashes and it has a chance of corrupting the save file if youre playing world tour co-op.

So yeah great game, but having a game that corrupts save files is inexcusable. I can tolerate pretty much any glitch but save file corruption is not on.

Baleoce

I really hope they make a new one. There's definitely demand for it. This gen needs a good multi-platform kart game.

Neifirst

Unfortunately, I kind of doubt a new installment or remaster is coming since Sumo Digital is part of the Disney Infinity 3.0 group of developers. They made the kart racing pack expansion for the game that came out this past holiday.

Considering this year is Sonic's 25th Anniversary, I would love for Sumo Digital to put out a remaster of this on PS4/X1 that has 1080p/60FPS, all the PC character DLC (Ryo) and exclusive PC Franchise characters and the Outrun DLC stage.

Would be a great way to kick off the year and a nice way for people who love racers to celebrate the anniversary :).

Christ, it's 2016 and the best some people can hope for to celebrate an anniversary is a remaster.

How about you hope they've been making an actual sequel instead?

Klart

I hope that Sega considers porting this to PS4/X1 in the future

I hope that Sega considers porting any classic to PS4/X1 in the future.

I mean really, how is it possible that we still can't play any SEGA classic on current gen?

Top Bottom