• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP Steamworld Heist: Leave no swag behind

DrArchon

So just last night I completed my first playthrough of Steamworld Heist. For context, I played the PC version of the game because I like to play on a screen that's bigger than the 3DS screen if possible, though I was considering breaking down and just getting on the 3DS for a while. I'm also not a huge fan of turn-based strategy games, having only dabbled in the Fire Emblem series and played a bit of X-Com: Enemy Unknown.

Anyway, after beating every mission in the game (and all the DLC missions) on the regular difficulty, I feel like I have a duty to recommend this game to other people out there, because this was easily some of the most fun I've had this year playing a game. Probably the best thing in the game for me at least was the fact that you're able to aim your shots. I hate relying on RNG in games, which is one of the reasons I'm not a huge fan of games like X-Com, so being able to have 100% control on whether or not I landed my attacks made Steamworld Heist much more fun for me. Plus, it still led to a lot of tense moments of trying to predict where my shots would land, as well as a lot of hype when shots would ricochet off of walls and land headshots that I wasn't expecting. The tension of trying to reach the escape pod to finish a mission while avoiding increasing spawning enemies and still trying to pick up all of the loot in a level is exhilarating, especially late in the game when the difficulty ramps up and you see the really tough enemies. It's certainly a lot more tense than I was expecting from a turn-based game. Most levels have a timer, though when it counts down it doesn't lead to a fail state, which is really nice. The timer just leads to increasing levels of enemies spawning, as well as turrets activating.

All of the aesthetics of the game really appealed to me as well. The whole "Outer Space is the next Wild West" thing is a common theme, but it's still really well executed here as you travel from one shady locale to another, picking up various rogues and adventures to fill out your team and buying an assortment of weapons for shifty dealers. The music is great, though I wish there was more variety during the actual missions. When you go to bars though, you'll get unique music (with appropriate lyrics even) thanks to the presence of a live band in each bar. All of the characters are quirky and likable, though outside of some short conversations you can have on the ship between missions they never interact with you that much. At least all of the characters are unique enough from a viusual and gameplay perspective that they still left an impact on me.

The Outsider DLC was also completely worth the price at $5. It only comes with one character, but this character is easily one of the most unique in your roster, and they instantly became a near-permanent addition on my team. In addition, the DLC comes with a number of challenging missions which reward you with some of the more unique weapons in the game. For $5 I really couldn't ask for or expect more.

Probably the only things I was disappointed in in Steamworld Heist were that the level of customization for characters was lacking. All characters level linearly in terms of skills. You don't get to choose which abilities characters get at which levels, it's all set out for you. I specializing my characters in these kinds of games, and while each character is unique in terms of what they provide to the team, I feel that being able to pick skills really adds to a sense of ownership of the game, in that "This is my team and no one else has one like it". The only real customization comes in the form of hats that characters can wear, which isn't terrible as you primarily get them from shooting them off of enemies, which feels great, but I wouldn't have minded some deeper customization. Perhaps allowing players to customize character colors or something.

So yeah, I thoroughly enjoyed my first playthrough of Steamworld Heist, and I'm fully expecting to go back to it for New Game+ once I have some free time in my schedule. I'm also excited to see what the devs make next. Going from Steamworld Dig (a game I'm only tangentially familiar with) to Steamworld Heist is a huge shift, so I'm curious if they do another of such shifts or if they'll just make a sequel.

If you're a fan of strategy games of any kind, I highly recommend picking this up on the system of your choice.
SteamWorld-Heist-Out-on-Steam-PS4-PS-Vita-Nintendo-3DS.png

Did this thread really only get two replies? Playing Heist right now on the 3DS and digging it, just got to the second map. I agree that the tension of evacuating with all teammates alive is through the roof. Really simple concept that has me hooked. I usually don't take to tactic games, but I find this one breezy enough to stay with for the duration. And it was only $1 in a recent Humble Bundle! More folks should be talking about this one.

Did this thread really only get two replies? Playing Heist right now on the 3DS and digging it, just got to the second map. I agree that the tension of evacuating with all teammates alive is through the roof. Really simple concept that has me hooked. I usually don't take to tactic games, but I find this one breezy enough to stay with for the duration. And it was only $1 in a recent Humble Bundle! More folks should be talking about this one.

I -just- beat this a few days ago and REALLY loved it. Keep playing - it gets even better. The game expands on the mechanics with really cool characters and enemy types, and the missions are always a blast.

Axass

BTW my opinion right after completing it:

The game starts slow and without many strategic options, it also takes a while to really take off, since the first part lasts way too much, becoming pretty monotone, recycling enemies and settings constantly. Another annoying obstacle to one's enjoyment of the adventure is the inventory box system: you can only keep so many items and weapons at once, and you have to sell the rest for money, until you slowly find the means to upgrade the inventory itself; that, paired with the steady arrival of new recruits to your team, makes it so you always feel you don't have enough choice of equipment for your crew. The story is serviceable, the characters are unique both in personality and skills, so that you'll want to use them all and the soundtrack is top notch; but what really shines is the tactical gameplay: it works flawlessly and you can't stop playing, wishing for one more level after the other.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I just got this on 3DS due to Steamworld Dig 2 coming out soon and wanting to get into the world.

Holy shit, I can't believe I missed this game. Only on the second world, and it's hard as nails. (I am too stubborn to tone down the difficulty) Love it though.

Jhoan

I've been playing it lately again because my old saved data was in my 3DS; I got a N3DS and had to start all over. I bought way back when it first came out and it was good. I agree with all of the OP's points including the DLC character becoming an essential party member. I'm in the second half of the game I'm almost up to where I was before my 3DS got damaged.

I imagine that the game is much more enjoyable on a larger screen as opposed to the N3DS' screen but I'll take playing it in bed over it. I find the game to be quite balanced at Veteran so I've yet to attempt to try a mission on Elite unless it's a solo mission to start. Piper is also an essential party member in any mission.

I do wish there was more mission/map variety but I appreciate the fact that each mission has a preset amount of EXP that increases with difficulty. Image & Form nailed down the Firefly with robots set in the wild west well. I look forward to seeing how they expand the SteamWorld universe with SteamWorld Dig 2.

oni-link

Loved this game, really hope they get around to Heist 2 at some point

My only criticism was the fantastic music is underused in the game

Spent such a long time just standing in the bars so I could hear more than the opening seconds of the great songs

Top Bottom