• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: The Shining (in a post-Internet age). Bonus: Room 237

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So, I'm 27, and I finally got around to watching The Shining. Yeah, I know, it should've been a film I watched long ago but I just never got around to it. Part of the reason I decided to watch it was all the IT hype had me wanting to check out the most famous adaptation of a Steven King novel, besides Stand By Me which I adore, and, yes, I'm aware the film is almost a standalone product rather than a faithful adaptation.

The Shining though is one of those movies I feel like everyone has seen, even if they haven't actually seen the film---so many elements of it have been referenced, parodied, and homaged over the years especially the twins, river of blood, and "HERE'S JOHNNY!". Casablanca is another film of this kind, one I've never actually seen but I could probably piece together the basis of the plot due to pop-culture referencing it.

Anyway, as a kid I remember Shining jokes popping up a lot in cartoons, and I instinctively knew "oh, it's a joke on The Shining!", even though I don't even recall where I learned that The Shining was a thing since I was born way after it was released. Perhaps I have the Shining? The only moment of the film that truly shook me as a "WHAT THE FUCK?" moment was the old lady scene, because that's the one big moment of the film I don't think is ever homaged---for obvious reasons, really. I knew what to expect for the most part from the film, but that totally blindsided me. Everything else was enjoyable of course, and though I'm not a huge film buff I could appreciate the various techniques involved with staging and music choices, but it almost felt like a "Greatest Hits" album for me of all the Shining plot points I had picked up over time. The typewriter scene, REDRUM, the twins and the bike scene, Jack at the bar, the hedge maze, and the photo, oh, and the BJ Dog.

But, um, I know I didn't really provide a deep analysis of the film but I'm interested in how recent viewers of the film took it after so many elements of it have been spoiled over the years by television and especially the Internet. I don't just mean the plot being spoiled, but just the "feeling" of the film being almost comical due to how often it's been referenced and mocked. Here's Johnny! was probably terrifying when it first premiered, but nowadays that scene has popped up in everything that instead of being scared by it you're just waiting for that "oh, THERE IT IS!" moment when you finally see the original all the memes were based on.

After watching the Shining I checked out the Room 237 documentary. I was surprised to go back and read the thread on NeoGAF about it and how...nasty people were about it? I mean I'm not trying to legitimize everything the documentary talked about, but it kind of reminded me of discussions of novels in High School where you'd always have kids get really, really upset when people tried to digest a novel beyond the surface level, or in more modern terms when people freak out over "politics" in video games and the idea that a game may have something to say beyond the surface level. "YOU'RE LOOKING TOO FAR INTO IT!" I mean, yeah, some of the people in the video felt a bit off, mainly the Apollo dude and the guy who at the end talked about isolating himself with his kid and living out the Shining which, uh, was kind of worrisome but it wasn't a parade of maniacs like the posters made it out to be.

The Native American motif was what I found fascinating, as was the connected idea of it referencing Nazism as well, though less directly---the idea that the film isn't just representative of the horrors of the hotel repeating themselves, but history as well, is something I think is a viable theme. And the idea of just looking the other way definitely comes into play when you consider that Wendy more or less is in a battered relationship---or that's the impression Duval gives off at the beginning when she's shaking while smoking and casually lets the therapist know her husband seriously injured their son in a drunken fit. Also I don't think the documentary pointed it out, but with the Native American motif in mind I feel like the part where Danny's playing with his cars and lining them up in a circle reminded me of one of those "wagon barriers" settlers would form to protect themselves from Indians or, in this case, the "ghost" of the hotel which penetrates the barrier via the ball. I'd like to point out that this image is foreshadowed at the beginning with Jack describing the Donner Party as "settlers during covered-wagon times".

The stuff about the "impossibilities" of the hotel is one I was familiar with, and I'm not well-versed in how designing a set works to comment on it---but I do like the idea that Kubrick subtly moving props around in the background, which as the documentary points out almost mocks the silly moving furniture trope in horror, to make you uncomfortable. I didn't go into the film looking for it but some of the example pointed out are interesting, even if they were mistakes.

The Apollo conspiracy is another thing I've read up about before, AND I'll say while it doesn't make sense for why the U.S. Government would bother doing it, especially since even the commentator seems half-hearted in his belief of it by admitting they DID go to the moon, they just didn't show us the real deal?, it was pretty interesting to the point I raised an eyebrow. Of course the commentator in the video has the benefit of no one fact checking him live, not sure if the pattern on the rug lines up with the launch base or the "237,000,000 miles to the moon!" bit is true, but the way he crafts his argument at least made me consider the possibility instead of dismissing him right off. And, ultimately, I think it's a harmless theory to hold all things considered.

The only point in the video that REALLY lost me was that weird "kid's story" (shit that didn't happen) with the head splitting open, because I had no clue what she meant by that and it was obvious that it was her trying to mimic how a child would make up a story, just really fake "my child is so special!" junk. If it was legit, though, the "chaos bolt" made me think of that attack Shadow uses in Sonic Adventure 2's multiplayer mode and if the kid made up some bizarre Sonic-inspired fanfiction that his mom decided to toss into a documentary on the Shining. At the very least I could kind of see the skier = minotaur connection, though I thought that was supposed to be some sort of horror movie poster when I saw it---it reminded me of "The Thing" poster with the shadowy figure and the light coming from the back, fitting since that film has a similar theme of isolation and paranoia, though I realize checking the dates that's impossible since it wasn't released till two years after The Shining.

Um, yeah, I'm interested in some more crazy, not-so-crazy videos about the Shining. There's that one by the Ager guy I saw suggested in an older thread I'm gonna check out.

Gnomepowered

Neo Member
I can't decide how serious Room 237 is supposed to be. Didn't the director also have a doc about people afraid of the old Screen Gems "S" logo? "The S from Hell" I think it was called. I remember not being totally sure if that was a doc or mockumentary, either. Both are still very interesting movies but I feel like they are on the border between fiction and non-.

Watch Da Birdie

I went into Room 237 only knowing it talked about the Apollo conspiracy---didn't realize it covered more than that, nor did I have any clue as to what it "was or was not" supposed to be since some claim it's a mockumentary (it felt legit serious to me), others claim it's a serious documentary but the focus is more on obsession than actually The Shining, which I didn't get either.

Room 237 is an interesting concept of which I would take far more seriously if the production quality wasn't pure shit.
They could have also screened some the theories as well, because a lot of them seemed like coked out observations.

Shadybiz

Room 237 is an interesting concept of which I would take far more seriously if the production quality wasn't pure shit.
They could have also screened some the theories as well, because a lot of them seemed like coked out observations.

Heh, I commented to my wife that it seemed like a couple of the people on there must have been tripping on acid when they came up with their theories.

Poppy

room 237 is good for a laugh because all the people on it are nutters, but it is pretty dull and repetitive

Watch Da Birdie

Only the dude who screened the film super-imposed (that was pretty cool) sounded like he was on drugs to me.

Oh, I've never seen Eyes Wide Shut so at the beginning I thought Tom Cruise was for some reason playing the role of the narrator in a re-enactment---yeah, I'll agree some of the video choices for that documentary were sort of confusing.

hobozero

As a companion piece, check out one of the documentaries/videos online talking about the Overlook as an architectural set - you can get so engrossed on viewing the movie, that you miss the fact that the interiors, as shot, do not fit together at all and can't actually exist in the real world. I think your brain does pick up on all the spatial inconsistencies subconsciously as you watch, especially with all the moving shots, and it adds to the sense of unrealness the hotel has.

I'm not able to find a link to the video I had in mind, unfortunately.

Fuchsdh

That was my problem with it too. It really just was a sounding board for kooks, instead of interrogating their beliefs or trying to explain why people latched on to them.

For me Room 237 is a great documentary about crazy people. I can see why someone would be disappointed if they actually wanted plausible fan theories about The Shining, but if you going into knowing these people are really off their rockers it's a fun watch. It's not a documentary about The Shining, it's a documentary about people who've watched The Shining so many times they've lost their minds.

I also love how everyone in Room 237 is convinced that they were the ones to finally crack the code. "It's DEFINITELY about the fake moon landing", then cut to another person saying "it's DEFINITELY about native american genocide" and then another person comes in saying "it's DEFINITELY about the holocaust".

And the lady that thinks the ski poster is a Minotaur? I burst out laughing at that part.

Oh, I've never seen Eyes Wide Shut so at the beginning I thought Tom Cruise was for some reason playing the role of the narrator in a re-enactment---yeah, I'll agree some of the video choices for that documentary were sort of confusing.

I will not deny that there were a couple observations that were interesting theories, but yeah. Not much else beside the woman talking about the Native American motifs.

Did Room 237 touch on Kubrick's obsession with the gold standard? I saw a video on Youtube that discussed that angle and found it to be pretty interesting, in a conspiracy theory sort of way.

Watch Da Birdie

Did Room 237 touch on Kubrick's obsession with the gold standard? I saw a video on Youtube that discussed that angle and found it to be pretty interesting, in a conspiracy theory sort of way.

I just watched that too, Rob Ager's video. The analysis of the photo at the end was pretty interesting.

Top Bottom