• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP - the Wii U. What do I need to know about it?

yyr

Lots of people have covered the bases really well but I'll throw in a bit of advice re: Virtual Console.

SNES games in particular have a bit of noticeable input lag. They perform much better on either Wii or New 3DS. The other platforms (NES, etc.) run fine, in my experience.

DS games run well, but you have two options for handling the dual screens:
1) Smush both screens onto the Wii U GamePad screen, in which case they're ugly and tiny.
2) Use the TV as the top screen and the GamePad as the bottom screen. It works better, but some people will hate it.

To be honest, if you're seriously interested in DS games, you'd be better served heading to the Nintendo Refurbished Store, grabbing a $60 2DS, and then tracking down some cheap used copies. But if you're still down for DS VC on Wii U, definitely try Kirby Canvas Curse. What an amazing game =)

However, you can shift into Wii mode and get VC games from there. NES games are way better that way, and you've got options for games not available in Wii U mode.

I recommend against this. If you have your Wii U connected to a widescreen TV (likely), VC games in Wii mode will be stretched. You may be able to play with the settings on your TV to fix this, but you'll have to do it each time (and then change them back).

orborborb

the best reason to have a Wii U is for:

Nintendoland - The best couch multiplayer for a mix of casual+hardcore gamers of different ages (not for total non-gamers like jackbox etc), can only work with Gamepad

Super Mario Maker - The most fun level editor and social ecosystem for level editing, and it can only work on a screen with both an accurate stylus and great D-pad, which only the Gamepad has.

Star Fox Zero - A great arcade shooter that could only work with the Gamepad. Some people never enjoy swapping back and forth between screens though.

Everything else great (like the best 2D platformer Luigi U) will probably come to other platforms and be even better when it does.

However, if you don't plan on getting a Switch anytime soon, there's a TON of other great games from all past systems. Only thing I would caution against are NES games which can be played better lots of other places.

HotHamBoy

Thanks everyone. Looks like I need to buy a decent memory stick and after some consideration the following have been upgraded from 'Maybes' to 'Alright you bastards you've peer pressured me into buying these':

Donkey Kong: TF
Pikmin 3
Splatoon
Maybe Mario Maker if I can find it at a decent price

Drop Windwaker and TP HD, especially the latter.

Get Bayonetta and the games you listed above.

Captain Toad is also fucking great.

HotHamBoy

only reason to have a Wii U is for:

Nintendoland - The best couch party multiplayer for a mix of casual+hardcore gamers of different ages (not for total non-gamers like jackbox etc), can only work with Gamepad

Super Mario Maker - The most fun level editor and social ecosystem for level editing, and it can only work on a screen with both an accurate stylus and great D-pad, which only the Gamepad has.

Star Fox Zero - A great arcade shooter that could only work with the Gamepad. Some people never enjoy swapping back and forth between screens though.

Everything else great (like the best 2D platformer Luigi U) will probably come to other platforms and be even better when it does.

What the fuck?

Most of the better Wii U games are surely not coming to Switch and the dude already has the system to play it.

Also, Nintendo Land and SFZ blow.

Look, THESE are the *essential* Wii U games:

New Super Mario Bros Wii U/Luigi U
Mario 3D World
Mario Maker
Captain Toad
Pikmin 3
Splatoon
MK8
Smash Bros 4
Zelda BotW
Bayonetta 1/2
Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE
DKC Tropical Freeze
Pushmo World
Affordable Space Adventures

Everything else is negotiable but there's still a lot of great games not on that list.

kc44135

What the fuck?

Most of the better Wii U games are surely not coming to Switch and the dude already has the system to play it.

Also, Nintendo Land and SFZ blow.

Look, THESE are the *essential* Wii U games:

New Super Mario Bros Wii U/Luigi U
Mario 3D World
Mario Maker
Captain Toad
Pikmin 3
Splatoon
MK8
Smash Bros 4
Zelda BotW
Bayonetta 1/2
Tokyo Mirage #FE
DKC Tropical Freeze
Pushmo World
Affordable Space Adventures

Everything else is negotiable but there's still a lot of great games not on that list.

Why not? I would say it's very likely.

AzaK

Apparently BoTW performance is subpar with quite a few framerate dips and 720p vs 900p on Switch.

Having said that, if you don't have a Switch and that stuff doesn't bother you... Definitely get it. Top 10 game of all time for me and many others, truly amazing experience.

BotW is fine on Wii U. I've been playing it Sure Switch would be a bit better but I don't think he has one and it's not worth missing out on the game for a few more lines and slightly fewer framedips.

Thanks everyone. Looks like I need to buy a decent memory stick and after some consideration the following have been upgraded from 'Maybes' to 'Alright you bastards you've peer pressured me into buying these':

Donkey Kong: TF
Pikmin 3
Splatoon
Maybe Mario Maker if I can find it at a decent price
I'd say the top 10 must own Wii U games are:

1. BotW- I own it on Wii U. There are some minor technical issues that pop up every now and then but it is amazing. One of the best games I've played.

2. Splatoon- Fun, addicting multiplayer that is unique. This game is tailor made for Wii U.

3. Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze- best 2D platformer, I've played in a long time. Soundtrack and level design is amazing. I never thought I'd describe 2D platformer levels as epic but there are a number id call epic.

4. Super Mario 3D World- Fun, inventive platformer with 4 player multiplayer.

5. Super Smash Bros. 4- the ultimate Smash Bros game

6. Pikmin 3- well designed single player campaign offering something different than usual.

7. Mario Kart 8

8. Mario Maker

9. Bayonetta 2

10. Captain Toad

Mathieran

Banned
Get Pikmin 3 and The Wonderful 101, those are my two favorite Wii U games.

And for BC Wii games, get Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, Xenoblade Chronicles, RE4, and Kirby's Epic Yarn.

Those games make it worth having the Wii U alone.

Smasher89

Tropical freeze was already mentioned, a thing if you concider getting Xenoblade Chronicles X(The first xenoblade chronicles is on the eshop too, with a significantly better story).

Do note it takes the most space of any games on the platform if you want the game to run optimally, so you might want to concider that quite early before you have games taking up the space (the data packs arent neccesery but does improve the game).

Splatoon is kinda skippable imo, since the main feature of it is online play, and apparently there is cheaters online nowadays (no idea how common).

Mario 3D world if you played and enjoyed games like mario galaxy 2 (which since the wii u is wii game compatible, also a decent recomendation).

A few random thoughts:

Be very careful when buying a pro controller. There were and probably still are tons of nearly identical looking counterfeit controllers out there. I don't know if they're good or bad, but they're certainly not worth $50.

I would advise against investing in digital games, as the account system sucks and purchases are tied to the console (though they can be reassigned through phoning customer service). Mario Kart DLC is worth it though.

Xenoblade Chronicles X is deeply flawed but still awesome and unforgettable. Play Xenoblade Chronicles first (Wii backwards compatibility) and then try XCX.

RuhRo

Is Color Splash worth playing if one loved Paper Mario and Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door?

I liked those games mainly for the exploration, wonderful writing, and RPG character building.

Get Wonderful 101 for sure, one of my favorite games of all time. Constantly creative, fun, crazy, innovative...if you have any affection for super sentai/tokusatsu and Japanese sci-fi, you'll absolutely love it. Tropical Freeze is also probably a must-buy...I think it's an amazing game but I don't personally love it because it's just too damn hard for me and I'm generally not into platformers these days. My gf 100%ed the game and she swears it's an all-time GOAT platformer, rivaling even Mario 3. I think a lot of folks share that opinion.

BOTW...yes, it's absolutely worth it on Wii U. I held off for a bit for the same reasons - what if it's just too underpowered and I get a shitty experience? A friend convinced me that it was completely great and worth it, so I decided to bite (to the total tune of 90 CAD, yeesh). Best gaming money I've spent in a long time. One of the best games I've ever played. It looks and plays great. Stunning in every way. Very slight hiccups once in a
red
blue moon. Otherwise, I can't complain at all. Beautiful, charming, often jaw-dropping game. Get it.

EDIT: Also, if you want to mess with some Virtual Console stuff. the Game Boy Advance games on Wii U run so well. I love using the gamepad as a giant GBA, it's just awesome. Got a bunch of GBA games on there like Advance Wars, Metroid, etc.

SECOND EDIT: Against all odds, there are still random Virtual Console games being released for Wii U. Apparently the Turbografx games Final Soldier and Soldier Blade just came out today?? Gives me hope of seeing Mischief Makers and Astro Boy: Omega Factor at some point in the future.

rudger

Get an external drive if buying anything digital. You will need a Y cable or external power. You can also make as many backups as you want, which is a nice safety mechanism(though if the system itself dies you're SOL).

Avoid NES and N64 VC games on Wii U. They are better in Wii mode. Wii mode generally has more VC options but you can't control it with the gamepad, so kind of depends on your setup and controller options if you want to bother. I like to keep the gamepad by my computer monitor and play VC games when I want a break. It's great. Like a mini retro console on my desk.

If you download Wii retail games through the Wii U eShop, be aware that it's mimicking the Wii and isn't a full VC mode. So it won't create save states like the VC mode of any other consoles.

Hack the Wii mode and get a GameCube controller adapter if you're into that.

Shovel Knight is great with some Wii U specific features.

Nintendoland is far more robust then it lets on and great if you have friends to play with.

Affordable Space Adventures is also great with friends...but only once.

If you buy a lot digitally and Pikmin 3 or Mario Kart, make sure to also get the DLC through MyNintendo rewards.

I love my Wii U and am still going through some games on it. Lots of good recommendations in the thread so enjoy!

Sidenote: The browser is also pretty nifty. Make sure to watch a video while browsing. And if you're bored you can entertain yourself with a buggy prototype I once made teaching myself to code. :p

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Oh, OP, buy Earthbound.

Why get it for Wii U when you can get it with a pre-order of a SNES Mini?

7JY11fY.png

Top Bottom