• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LttP: The Wolf Among Us (spoilers)

Forkball

UNMARKED SPOILERS RUN NOW

the-wolf-among-us-poster.jpg

I went into this game pretty blind. I knew it was based off Fables, a comic I've never read, and that someone, possibly you, were a wolf among other people. After Walking Dead, Telltale's stock was pretty high, and I thought it was a bit strange that they would follow up their biggest success with something fairly obscure. I basically ignored this game until the last Steam sale, where I bought it for six bucks.

I have to say that I am pleasantly surprised, and I think this game is better than Walking Dead S1 in many ways. Partly because my save didn't get corrupted!

The game is a carbon copy of TWD's format in many ways. You have the same "so and so will remember that" pop ups that mean nothing (Telltale basically admits this with a few joke ones), dialogue choices, cel-shaded art style, QTEs, and baby's first point and click adventuring. There are some noticeable changes. For one, the action scenes are far more elaborate. The action consists of fight scenes where you pummel your enemy with everything in the room, and Shenmue-esque running sequences. They are not very difficult, but certainly more VISCERAL than the zombie-choppin' in TWD. The "click on stuff" sections are even more streamlined, which may disappoint pixel hunters.

But no one plays Telltale's episode adventures for the "gameplay." It's all about the story and presentation, which The Wolf Among Us pulls off perfectly. It's a modern noir tale with a Jack Kirby color palette. The game manages a nice balance between bland environments and then cranking up the surreal dial to give us some striking locals and scenery. The electronic ambiance music is memorable and helps establish the setting (I assume this game takes place in the 80s?).

07C49F3CACD4931C3272F09185FCDD3052E2BD6A

The story is fairly simple at first. It's a murder mystery with a fantasy twist. All the characters are from fairy tales, but now live depressing lives. Kings and queens are broke and live in crummy apartments. I thought part of the fun was trying to figure out who some of them were. Yeah, Beauty and Beast are pretty obvious, but I had no idea who Gren was supposed to be until you had the choice to rip off his arm, WHICH I DID.

You are the cleverly named BIGBY WOLF, AKA the big bad wolf. Everyone hates you due to your history, but really was the wolf so terrible? Yeah he ate two pigs, tried to eat Red Riding Hood, and I guess he ate that boy who cried wolf but he was starting shit. I dunno, I felt like everyone gave Wolf such a hard time when other characters had a far worse rap sheet. Hell Bluebeard MURDERED HIS WIVES (I love that Lee's VA was this character). It's hard to top Lee as a protagonist, but I felt they did a good job making Bigby interesting and complex. He is your prototypical noir detective, haggard as hell, down on his luck, and head over heels for a girl he can never get. I played him as a nice guy most of the time, but I did throw my wolf weight around every now and then.

The game had interesting characters and a good murder mystery story. There were a lot of elements and "rules" to the universe that kept coming into play. I kinda felt the big reveal about who actually did it and why was somewhat underwhelming after they hyped up "THIS IS BIGGER THAN FABLETOWN", but I think the overarching story about how neglected many people in this community feel was very well done. The game is less of a whodunnit and more of a look at how corruption and negligence can have a negative effect on real people, and how others take advantage of it. In the end, you have a feeling that things are better by default, but you can still see rampant problems and issues that need to be handled.

I felt the decisions had a bit more weight than in TWD and were much more grey. When you rip Grendel's arm off, you see the evidence throughout the entire game. If you save Lawrence, he does appear several more times even though his role is fairly minor. In the final chapter, which is a similar "This is Your Life" spiel about all your choices, I felt the trial was a far more interesting way to showcase your actions than how TWD handled it. Even though you probably can't lose the trial, there was a real sense that maybe Crooked Man could get away. I also kind of wondered if you could just kill the Crooked Man in the Metal Works factory. Recently I also played 80 Days, a title where you can see major consequences of your actions. Telltale's choices are pedestrian by comparison, certainly due to the effort it would take to make really different branching stories. TWAU made them more apparent, but I feel like they could take it even further.

Overall, I really enjoyed this game and I am clamoring for a second season. I'm also interested in reading the comic now. Does it follow Bigby? I want more Bigby.

Major choices:
Went to Lawrence's apartment first
Didn't kill one of the Tweedles (trust me, I wanted to)
Ended Georgie's suffering
Threw Crooked Man's ass down the Witching Well
Burned that tree (somewhat regret it)
Went to the bar then the pawn shop, didn't get to go to Crane's apartment
Gave Toad money for the glamor (which did nothing)
Ripped off Gren's arm (awesome)
[Smoke]

Also... what's up with the ending? Is it implying that Nerissa was glamored as Faith at the very beginning? Or was Faith glamored as Nerissa the whole time and Nerissa was really the one who died? I WENT AFTER HER BUT IT ENDED.

I feel the same way as you. It really was a surprise to me. I enjoyed it much more than I did the Walking Dead game, which says quite a lot. Bigby and that world are just so damn interesting.

gdt

Yep as a big fan of the comic I loved it so much.

And yes there's more Bigby in the comic....but there isn't the singular focus as in the game. But he's obviously a big part of it.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Just finished this 2 days ago and I loved it.
Also... what's up with the ending? Is it implying that Nerissa was glamored as Faith at the very beginning? Or was Faith glamored as Nerissa the whole time and Nerissa was really the one who died? I WENT AFTER HER BUT IT ENDED.
Yes it was Narissa glamored as Faith to start the whole thing up. If it was the other way around, the magic would wear down after her death and reveal her identity.

Loved the game's world so much I bought the first volume of Fables. I am now hooked on them and up to volume 15. There is 'so' much more to this world that I really hope that Telltale continue this series.

Read the comics you wont be disappointed.

andreyblade

Neo Member
If you want more Bigby, read the Fables comics. They're really good and keep a Game of Thrones-like visceralness in terms of bad things happening to everyone. The villain in the comics is also very well done

*Spoilers*

The first damn episode was raw. It was the best TellTale episode ever and set up so much for the series, but then the 2nd episode came and suddenly Snow was back. Waht. She just kinda, came back, and Bigby was like "Oh hey Snow. Now back to interrogating tweedledum" This is my theory. The first episode of TWAU came out on October 11th and then there was this GIGANTIC lull between episodes. The 2nd episode came out on February 4th, 5 months after the first episode. Something had to have happened because usually with TT it's only a month in between. No there was a lot of backlash with Snow's death and I mean a lot.
"Aw man she was the best character! Fuck you TT"
"She's my waifu"

The way she came back was absurd and I feel like it shouldn't have happened and I feel like it's not what TellTale wanted. This choice made the game, for me, feel underbaked. They had to explain how she "died" and it made things a bit more confusing. Also, the game had a ton of plot holes...

Trust me guys. I wanted to love this damn game. It had so much potential...

Edit: Oh yeah. I am definitley getting the comics. I read the first one and wow. On to the 2nd volume and BEYOND!!!

Picked this up over Christmas since it was just over £10 on a sale on PSN and absolutely love it!

Had only played Season 1 of The Walking Dead and Episode 1 of Game of Thrones from this style of Telltale game and it might very well edge past TWD for me and I truly loved that.

Its not as emotional as TWD was but there are some genuinely sad moments and overall it is very gripping, intriguing story . For me, I think the best moment was when Bigby goes full Wolf! It was a shock because I had assumed that we had already seen his true form but when you see his sheer size it was a great moment.

I really cant wait for them to do Season 2 although reading that it wont be out till 2016 was a real disappointment but I have decided to start picking up the comics as I really enjoyed the story and the characters.

It also spurred me to pick up Season 2 of TWD and double dip on the PS4 version of Season 2 so I can continue directly instead of starting blank.

Forkball

*Spoilers*

The first damn episode was raw. It was the best TellTale episode ever and set up so much for the series, but then the 2nd episode came and suddenly Snow was back. Waht. She just kinda, came back, and Bigby was like "Oh hey Snow. Now back to interrogating tweedledum" This is my theory. The first episode of TWAU came out on October 11th and then there was this GIGANTIC lull between episodes. The 2nd episode came out on February 4th, 5 months after the first episode. Something had to have happened because usually with TT it's only a month in between. No there was a lot of backlash with Snow's death and I mean a lot.
"She's my waifu"

The way she came back was absurd and I feel like it shouldn't have happened and I feel like it's not what TellTale wanted. This choice made the game, for me, feel underbaked. They had to explain how she "died" and it made things a bit more confusing. Also, the game had a ton of plot holes...

Edit: Oh yeah. I am definitley getting the comics. I read the first one and wow. On to the 2nd volume and BEYOND!!!

I admit I said "NO" out loud at the twist of episode one, but I doubt they wanted to kill off Snow permanently and then went back on it. It was clearly a way to set up the whole glamor aspect of the story, which is a major story element all the way to the end. I do think the way she just came back was very anticlimatic.

Its not as emotional as TWD was but there are some genuinely sad moments and overall it is very gripping, intriguing story . For me, I think the best moment was when Bigby goes full Wolf! It was a shock because I had assumed that we had already seen his true form but when you see his sheer size it was a great moment.

I agree the the story lacked the emotional resonance provided by Lee and Clementine from TWD, but they are very different stories with completely different themes. Both accomplish what they set out to do. I also loved the SSJ3 wolf scene. I was waiting for him to turn into a wolf the entire damn game. The first time he's just kinda hairy which is a disappointment, but then he turns into the wolfman? LAME. I was thrilled to see him turn into a giant actual wolf at the very end.

I admit I said "NO" out loud at the twist of episode one, but I doubt they wanted to kill off Snow permanently and then went back on it. It was clearly a way to set up the whole glamor aspect of the story, which is a major story element all the way to the end. I do think the way she just came back was very anticlimatic.

I can get behind this. I thought snow, aside from the abrupt comeback, was a fantastic character. Bigby will go down as one of my favorite protagonists ever. I'm not saying it wasn't gooood because I liked it so so much but I just thought it could've been a bit...better?

Beat it a couple of days ago. Something I didn't like is Crane's obsesision with Snow arc. At the end Crane's involvement with The Croked Man is eslightly elaborated, leaving that he's just negligent (maybe in the original source Crane's character is just negligent, not bad. Haven't read Fables). I think the purpose of that arc is just to give a shock moment at the end of the first episode. Doesn't mean the arc is not properly integrated but it feels artificial.

Wabba

This is the best game that they have made, i loved The Walking Dead but in my opinion the game is a little overrated. Wolf Among Us hits all the right spots for me, i hope they release a new game in the same universe.

I liked the series a ton. Already being a fan of the comics helped a lot, as did being patient and waiting for the entire thing to be out before starting it (I can only imagine the disappointment after a long wait for an hour long episode). It has a fantastic look, great use of the source material, and a pretty interesting story even if it stalls a bit at points. I'm excited to see where they go with a second season.

*Spoilers*

"She's my waifu"

Snow's a major character in the comics from the very first issue and TWAU takes place before the comics, her death being a fake out was absolutely planned.

I love it but have some issues as a reader of the comics. Mainly that in this game, if you play your cards right, you can have a pretty decently big romantic interest in Snow. And at the beginning of the comic
Snow and Bigby continuously state that they are no more than coworkers, can't stand each other, and that prior to the comic that Snow never had interest in Bigby
which kind of contradicts all of the sexual tension between the two in the game.

Outside of that though this was a dream game for me.

As to your ending question, it's a bit of a Keyser Soze moment. Yes, the implication is that either one was glamoured as the other from the beginning or did so near the end. All we know is that Bigby was putting it all together at the end but we have no way of knowing if she approached Bigby at the beginning of the game as what's her face, or if she only changed after the other one was murdered.

I agree the the story lacked the emotional resonance provided by Lee and Clementine from TWD, but they are very different stories with completely different themes. Both accomplish what they set out to do. I also loved the SSJ3 wolf scene. I was waiting for him to turn into a wolf the entire damn game. The first time he's just kinda hairy which is a disappointment, but then he turns into the wolfman? LAME. I was thrilled to see him turn into a giant actual wolf at the very end.
Oh don’t get me wrong I see and agree with that, its just for me the way season 1 of TWD ended, having such an emotional punch with the ending it really affected me hen playing. TWAU never had that sort of punch for me in the same way but it was still just as good.

However, the ending of episode 1 with the reveal of the head was fantastic and made me and my wife both be like ‘holy shit!’.

Want to add to the Bigby love, such a great character and could easily be one of my favourites.

On a side note, can you actually stop Toad from going to the Farm? I was desperate to as I really liked him. I had the opportunity to give him money at one point but didn’t have any on me, later (after raiding Cranes pockets) I did have some and was hopeful I could give it to Toad for Glamour but never got the choice.

Waveset

Yep, much preferred this to TWD. Big fan of the comics so was lovely to have some interactive storyline and I loved the artsyle though I must be in a minority but I really didn't get on with the music.

Terra_Ex

Best game Telltale have made, it really surprised me how much I liked this despite it being my first contact with Fables, ultimately I found it to be much more interesting than TWD. Needs a second season.

I'm gonna have to re dl this game when I get home. That ending completely threw me off and blew my mind so much that I was confused.

Tizoc

Ya it's prob. my fav. Telltale game too, glad I got it on PC, but holy hell is the PS3 ver. shit...

Dat Nerissa
SAM_Nerissa_Back_Room.png

Acosta

*Spoilers*

"She's my waifu"

They can't kill Snow, not only because it´s a presequel and they can't kill a major character of the comics but because she's pretty much immortal. Fables are as durable as their tale is.

I don't know why they went for that cliffhanger when it was pretty obvious it wasn't her (or maybe they thought a big part of the persons playing wouldn't be familiar with the comic).

This game was the first and last season pass I'll buy from TT but I liked the game.

The reason it was my first season pass was TWD which I played as a block and loved so I thought I'd get on the episodic train too so I wouldn't have to skip so many bits of my favourite podcasts week after week. Then then episodic train came off the rails and the episodes were delivered intermittently over almost a year with a 5 month gap between 1 and 2. That's not episodic and it completely ruined the tension built up by episode 1 and frequently left me having to check the built in character reference as I'd forget who and what happened while allowing the bad taste of some episodes linger longer than was good for the game.

The reason it will be my last is the start of episode 2 and 'glamours', magic is a dangerous tool in the hands of a writer and it's clear TT can't be trusted with it. The ability of glamours to perfectly hide the appearance of a person was abused twice in this season alone, once for the SW death and again for the sequence with the witch and the tree where Bigby & SW apparently forget about glamours and are surprised by 'the child'. Killing SW and then going 'surprise' was a really bad move as it meant I found it impossible to take any other deaths or shock happenings seriously because the writers now have an instant get out, 'it was magic!'.

I enjoyed the game but I'll wait for subsequent seasons to complete before jumping in again, it was doubly insulting to see the season pass discounted by episode 2 FFS TT at least pretend to offer an advantage to suckers like me who bought the pass on day 1.

They can't kill Snow, not only because it´s a presequel and they can't kill a major character of the comics but because she's pretty much immortal. Fables are as durable as their tale is.

I don't know why they went for that cliffhanger when it was pretty obvious it wasn't her (or maybe they thought a big part of the persons playing wouldn't be familiar with the comic).

I understand the in universe reasons for why she couldn't stay dead but then they needed to build a relationship in Ep 1 with someone they could kill. I had no foreknowledge of the Fables universe and for then to do a bait and switch like that just seemed too cheap, was so disappointed when Ep2 came out.

ThankeeSai

However, the ending of episode 1 with the reveal of the head was fantastic and made me and my wife both be like ‘holy shit!’

Same when me and my wife played this over Xmas, we were both like "Shiiiiiit NO!".

Never really given these types of games a chance before tbh, but picked up TWAU and TWD Season 1 and 2 along with the first episode of Tales from the Borderlands over Xmas as I wanted to try something different.

So glad I did. Thoroughly enjoyed TWAU and finished it over 2 days. Great characters, voice acting and story.

Near the end of Season 1 of TWD now and also finished the first episode of Borderlands which was brilliant.

Might wait for the whole of Borderlands to be available before I play again. Waiting between episodes is a pain :(

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
[Smoke] was the best choice in the game. Laughed at that. Felt so in character. Like it far more than The Walking Dead.

Ullus

Man, I loved playing through this, I just wish there were more focus on actual detective stuff rather than fights. The last fight with Mary was way too extreme in my opinion.

Kinyou

*Spoilers*

"She's my waifu"

As others have already said, Snow coming back must have always been part of the plot since she's alive in the comics. I suppose for people who read the comic the twist fell a little more flat.

However, what I do agree on is that something major happened to the plot mid development when they had that huge break between episode 1 and 2. Most notable was that they actually changed the preview pics for the episodes at one point. Originally this was the preview pic for episode 3:
ep319hutk.jpg

But after some time (I think when episode 2 released) it became this:
the-wolf-among-us-epieuu4j.jpg

It's clear that the detective from the police station who was investigating Snow's murder was supposed to play a bigger role in the story.

I just finished this about 30 minutes ago. Really enjoyed it. Character interactions managed to feel genuinely meaningful and, while I'm not sure what the opposite choices result in, it did feel like the decisions I made mattered and shaped parts of the story as opposed to just choosing between two or three paths that end up at the same destination anyway.

As far as the ending, I'm pretty convinced that Nerissa was glamoured as Faith in the beginning as a way to have Bigby at least somewhat care that her severed head showed up on his doorstep. That's just how I interpreted it anyway. Pretty awesome way to wrap things up too in my opinion, although I'm bummed that I couldn't keep Toad off the Farm. As much as I wanted to help him it seemed like all I could do was make life harder on him.

Valkrai

I just finished this about 30 minutes ago. Really enjoyed it. Character interactions managed to feel genuinely meaningful and, while I'm not sure what the opposite choices result in, it did feel like the decisions I made mattered and shaped parts of the story as opposed to just choosing between two or three paths that end up at the same destination anyway.

As far as the ending, I'm pretty convinced that Nerissa was glamoured as Faith in the beginning as a way to have Bigby at least somewhat care that her severed head showed up on his doorstep. That's just how I interpreted it anyway. Pretty awesome way to wrap things up too in my opinion, although I'm bummed that I couldn't keep Toad off the Farm. As much as I wanted to help him it seemed like all I could do was make life harder on him.

Yeah I wanted that at first but it seemed like he was deliberately being a cunt to Bigby despite his good intentions. I was also wondering if we pocket the cash from Dee's interrogation, is it possible we could give it to Toad?

I didn't love The Wolf Among Us, but it was a good game nonetheless. I'm contemplating giving it a second play through, though.

Arkanius

The whole story was changed. And the gameplay format as well.

The original story involved the Boy who Cried Wolf, which appears multiple times in Episode 1. According to Telltale developers, he would be Bigsby Deputy in helping find the truth about Snow.

The Mundy policewoman from Episode 2 would be chasing Bigsby since he would be the prime suspect in killing Snow.
It was all dropped for reasons unknown, and the whole investigation angle was also dropped and turned the game into another Telltale interactive movie.

But still, it was my favorite Telltale game, love the setting and the characters.

Also my take on the ending:

It was Faith. Faith never died, it was Nerissa that originally.
The whole concept of the Donkeyskin story is that she survives by hiding in plain sight or taking something else identity. The fact that when you ask the Mirror to show Faith, he just says "My lips are sealed", if she was truly dead and unbound by magic, he would show her, like he showed her dead father.

Another dead ring was the fact that the doctor never finished the analysis to "Faith's" head, and when Bigsby tried to ask Nerissas story, she didn't want to talk about her, because Faith didn't know much about it.

Really enjoyed this. It didn't reach the handful of major highs in TWDs1 but I found the overall experience more enjoyable. More than anything else I loved spending time with all the characters, great cast.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Best game Telltale have made, it really surprised me how much I liked this despite it being my first contact with Fables, ultimately I found it to be much more interesting than TWD. Needs a second season.

Same here, while I'm tired of my choice meaning nothing everything about TWAU sucked me in. The world, the music, the characters, Bigby's voice acting are all just perfect. And, jesus Mary of CHRIST, when
Bigby shows off his full form
was one of best gaming moments that year for me. I do think the whole Crooked Man angle was super underdeveloped, but that said I REALLY want a sequel to this game. After, playing Wolf and then going on to play TWD S2 I was disappointed to say the least.

Just finished this 2 days ago and I loved it.

Yes it was Narissa glamored as Faith to start the whole thing up. If it was the other way around, the magic would wear down after her death and reveal her identity.

If I recall, doesn't Snow mention that Swineheart never got back about the autopsy?

Weird that this thread came up. I practically steam rolled through the game since yesterday and just now checked gaf after finishing it.

While I liked the game and the world I can't help but be mildly disappointed that the game didn't let the murder plot simmer even a little bit. Felt like that was the direction it was going in initially then every episode afterwards was an hour long sprint to the finish line. Hopefully the next season let's the plot breathe.

Top Bottom