• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Yoshi's Story (1998). This artstyle has to be one of the inspirations behind LittleBigPlanet, right?

Bragr

Banned
pZZ0p4D.jpg

yoshis-story-06.png

There is no way Media Molecule didn't play this, they must have been inspired by this somehow. I was surprised when I started this up, surprised at just how good this art still looks for a '90s game.

I had a Nintendo 64 as a kid, but I remember reading in my cool Nintendo 64 magazine that this game sucked.

20 years later or whatever, and the game is on the Switch subscription service.

There was still some curiosity in me to find out how this game works, and to my surprise, it's solid. It turns out that the reviews were bad because of the length, not the gameplay. However, it's clearly made for kids, it's a game made for ages 8 to 14 or so, and you feel awkward playing it as an adult. It's comically easy.

You just go through a bunch of stages, eat all the fruit, and before you know it, the game is over in about 1 and a half hours. The entire game is 90 minutes long. Hence the bad reviews.

But I don't give a shit about that now, I'm not buying it, 90 minutes is perfect for a simple curiosity play. Yoshi's Story is cool, I wish I got it as a kid.

yoshis-story-big-fish.gif

rfvP2NS.jpg

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
pZZ0p4D.jpg

yoshis-story-06.png

There is no way Media Molecule didn't play this, they must have been inspired by this somehow. I was surprised when I started this up, surprised at just how good this art still looks for a '90s game.

I had a Nintendo 64 as a kid, but I remember reading in my cool Nintendo 64 magazine that this game sucked.

There was still some curiosity in me to find out how this game works, and to my surprise, it's solid. It turns out that the reviews were bad because of the length, not the gameplay. However, it's clearly made for kids, it's a game made for ages 8 to 14 or so, and you feel awkward playing it as an adult. It's comically easy.

You just go through a bunch of stages, eat all the fruit, and before you know it, the game is over in about 1 and a half hours. The entire game is 90 minutes long. Hence the bad reviews.

But I don't give a shit about that now, I'm not buying it, 90 minutes is perfect for a simple curiosity play. Yoshi's Story is cool, I wish I got it as a kid.

rfvP2NS.jpg
stranger-things-fire.gif

Destroy it with FIRE!!!! :lollipop_fire::lollipop_fire::messenger_fire:🔥🔥🔥🔥.

Ugghhh

Never in my life has a Nintendo game disappointed me as much as Yoshi Story.

There are too many things I hate about this garbage (Yoshi story).

First disappointment, it was supposed to be the sequel to the surprising Yoshi Island.

Everything that happens with Yoshi Story, I hate it.

The scenarios, the short duration of the game, it's too simple, the fake 3D graphics that are 2D pixelated, there are no bosses or battles that make you remember.

TOO CHILDISH AND Like a style of mental retardation.

To top it off, the health restoration is too simple, it's almost impossible to lose lives in the game, because of the lucky fruit and that shit...

There is no score, it recovers the same scenario in the form of a Loop, until collecting the fruits, the frame they put is horrible.

This game even gave me a headache from seeing the cover and playing it.

Last edited:

Heimdall_Xtreme

pZZ0p4D.jpg

yoshis-story-06.png

I think I'll say it, but Little Big Planet is so cool, it's a sin to compare it with such hot crap as Yoshi story.

The best thing about LBP was the stuffed version of Kat

:lollipop_smiling_face_eyes::lollipop_smiling_face_eyes::lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:

Bragr

Banned
stranger-things-fire.gif

Ugghhh

First disappointment, it was supposed to be the sequel to the surprising Yoshi Island.

The scenarios, the short duration of the game, it's too simple, the fake 3D graphics that are 2D pixelated, there are no bosses or battles that make you remember.

To top it off, the life restoration is too simple, it's almost impossible to lose lives in the game, because of the lucky fruit and that shit...

There is no score, it recovers the same scenario in the form of a Loop, until collecting the fruits, the frame they put is horrible.

Jesus lol, did Yoshi steal your wife or something.

Vandole

I love this game. Yes, it's easy as hell (most of it) But not every game needs to be a challenge. Plus the game does reward you for putting in more effort and taking on a little more challenge. And in return you do get access to harder levels.

The end result is a game that lets you play at whatever level you want, and that's a nice thing.

Handcrafted styles are not uncommon.

Dont get me wrong, if thats your plan then you play/experience as much as you can that has come before your project, so odds are they we inspired somewhat or referenced it, but its very plausible that they didnt. Its also quite possible they looked at it to avoid making their stuff look plagiarized etc.

Soltype

stranger-things-fire.gif

Ugghhh

To top it off, the health restoration is too simple, it's almost impossible to lose lives in the game, because of the lucky fruit and that shit...

Pretty sure the game was designed for kids.

E-Cat

pZZ0p4D.jpg

yoshis-story-06.png

rfvP2NS.jpg
I was devastated as a kid bc I was expecting an epic sequel to YI that would expand on it in every way possible.

Come to think of it, this was the first time I was ever disappointed in a Nintendo game. Mario Sunshine was the next time.

Last edited:

SCB3

Bit of a hot take, I think the Yoshi games are really boring to play despite all having great artstyle

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
stranger-things-fire.gif

Ugghhh

diffusionx

Gold Member
Coming off Yoshi's Island, this was one of the bigger gaming disappointments I can remember. The game is not horrible. It's just painfully boring and the art style was a huge step down from Yoshi's Island.
This, YI is one of the best 2D games ever made, N64 was starved for a game like that, and this is an inconsequential kids' game.

Heimdall_Xtreme

I meant around 6 to 7 year olds, 12 years old is too grown for this game especially if you grew up back then playing games.
There was no internet or youtube in those days, Yoshi island was a good game for boys from 10 to 13 years old. Besides, I was a boy, I had no idea that Yoshi story was going to be like that.

12 years old is still a kid.

Soltype

There was no internet or youtube in those days, Yoshi island was a good game for boys from 10 to 13 years old. Besides, I was a boy, I had no idea that Yoshi story was going to be like that.

12 years old is still a kid.
I see what you're saying, you felt Hoodwinked. I only rented it back when it came out so I wasn't that mad about it, plus my little sister really enjoyed it.12 is still a kid, but there's games a 12 year old could play in wouldn't recommend to a 7 year old.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
This, YI is one of the best 2D games ever made, N64 was starved for a game like that, and this is an inconsequential kids' game.
It’s like Nintendo really thought YI was just a spinoff and genuinely didn’t understand what a masterpiece of a game they’d made.
It’s the only explanation to why they followed up with YS.

nkarafo

It was OK but a huge regression from Yoshi's Island.

I also hate how it replaced Island's cool sound FX with the childish Yoshi voices that became standard later.

Vandole

The enjoyment you got out of this game I think was relative to your expectations.

The first time I saw the game I was at a friend's house and his little sister showed me the game. She played and all I can figure out was Yoshi was supposed to eat fruit, but that's all I got out of it, so I asked her what's the point of the game and eating the fruit. She told me "to be happy."

Technically that is how you play it. You eat the type of fruit that each Yoshi likes in order to increase its happiness. I took her explanation in different way though, and just played it and enjoyed it for what it was.

I get why people who are expecting a follow up the Yoshi's Island were completely disappointed. But give it another chance if you just want to chill or a have relaxing game to play, and you might change your mind on it.

Top Bottom