• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Your lie in April (Shigatsu wa kimi no uso) anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm currently on episode 11 (started today), and i'm really surprised at how beautiful and delicately crafted this anime is. From the stellar OST, to the art direction. Vibrant, warm colours, great use of visual allegories and metaphores, beautiful animation pieces. The characters serve their purpose well, there's really good dialogue and internal monologues too.

I've already felt emotional at some early moments, i don't know if i'm getting too identified in the main character so that affects my judgement but the story and presentation has really grabbed me this time. It's beautiful stuff.

And though i haven't spoiled myself i can feel where this is going and i know i'm going to be a mess like how i was in the last chapters of
Ano Hana....

Any thoughts on this?
maxresdefault.jpg

chefbags

One of my top 5 anime of all time. It's seriously that good. I try to watch it every April or so (which makes me a cliché but fuck it i love it that much lol)

Linkark07

Banned
Personally, I didn't like it. Sure, the visuals are beautiful and the soundtrack is superb... I guess that's all good I can say about it.

My problem is Arima's friends. Dude has traumas and yet the heroine and his childhood friend are forcing him to return to play music. Sometimes it seems they were bullying him, like when the heroine threw Arima into the river. Heck, I liked more Arima's rivals and his teacher than his friends. Needless to say, the slapstick comedy was awful.

I say it is a good but flawed anime.

mdubs

Banned
It's my favourite anime ever. The dub is also sublime as well.

Sometimes it seems they were bullying him, like when the heroine threw Arima into the river
Gonnna need a citation for this because I'm pretty sure there is no such scene.

Kyuur

I stopped shortly after the point where you are. Series felt like it was leading to a climax at episode 13 and then I was surprised when it ended up entering a second cour and lost interest.

tearsofash

I watched it this summer. It was pretty good, but I kind of don't remember much of it thanks to binging Stranger Things.

Lum1n3s

Oh shit I was about to post a thread about this, saw the first couple of episodes and liked it but have read the manga and loved it. Just waiting on the final volume to come out but I know what to expect....

I'm actually glad
Kaori managed to bring Kosei to playing the piano, it opened him up to doing more things with the talent that was beat into him. Sad that it had to be the instilled into him that way but it's what made him feel happy thinking that it made his mom happy. Watari is a dick and fucking pissed me off throughout the whole thing though just straight up fuck him.

Linkark07

Banned
It's my favourite anime ever. The dub is also sublime as well.

Gonnna need a citation for this because I'm pretty sure there is no such scene.

Yes, my bad. Searched in Youtube and he threw himself into the river. Still, he was being bullied by both girls.

Betty

Banned
It's good, but I didn't find certain things as impactful as I hoped. Characters crying every episode also really bugged me.

I think Clannad kinda spoiled me when it comes to these stories.

Lum1n3s

Yes, my bad. Searched in Youtube and he threw himself into the river. Still, he was being bullied by both girls.
I wouldn't say he was being bullied but Kaori noticed and tried to get him to open himself up. Had he continued down the path he was going I'm sure it would've been even worse. At least he
came to peace with his mother at the Gala concert.

SephLuis

I really liked the anime, but I prefer Nodame Cantabile.

Nodame has more episodes, there's more music and I feel that the development of characters in Nodame is better.

It's good, but I didn't find certain things as impactful as I hoped. Characters crying every episode also really bugged me.

I think Clannad kinda spoiled me when it comes to these stories.

Yeah...Clannad is in another league.

Linkark07

Banned
I wouldn't say he was being bullied but Kaori noticed and tried to get him to open himself up. Had he continued down the path he was going I'm sure it would've been even worse. At least he
came to peace with his mother at the Gala concert.

Sure, Arima needed to find a way for overcome his traumas but the execution was awful. Worse is, they tried to portray those scenes when the heroine and childhood friend tried to "help him" as comedy.

Lum1n3s

Sure, Arima needed to find a way for overcome his traumas but the execution was awful. Worse is, they tried to portray those scenes when the heroine and childhood friend tried to "help him" as comedy.
True but the only reason I'm okay with it, is because I felt like Kosei was okay with it. Idk if his love for Kaori blinded him but he stuck around her through it so he's just as guilty if we are going to blame anyone lol.

LotusHD

Banned
Ugh, this show's ending song is the only one that has ever made me cry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf-L5R8U-Q0

Major Spoilers:

Just came at the worst possible moment, considering Kaori had just died, and then you learned she had loved him all this time. Beforehand, the ending was just a very beautiful song. But the feels were real as fuck for the last episode, hence the tears...

gsrjedi

I really enjoyed this and this thread reminded me to see if there is a blu-ray. There is, but it's $130 and there are two volumes at that price. They come with soundtrack CD and postcards but I just can't see $260 for 22 episodes

Linkark07

Banned
I really enjoyed this and this thread reminded me to see if there is a blu-ray. There is, but it's $130 and there are two volumes at that price. They come with soundtrack CD and postcards but I just can't see $260 for 22 episodes

Aniplex. Never expect any decent price for Aniplex series Blu Rays.

Lum1n3s

Aniplex. Never expect any decent price for Aniplex series Blu Rays.

This though, the fuck is up with Aniplex prices being so high. Wanted to get Food Wars from them but once I saw those prices I was like "yeeeeeeaah, no." Thank goodness for Funimation and their reasonable prices though.

Ninjimbo

It was cool. It didn't leave much of an impression but you have to be a really special show to impress me. It's a nice bittersweet story with some tremendous moments. It's an easy recommendation for anyone wanting to see a good anime more focused on human drama than goofy comedy and slick action.

KraytarJ

I didn't really care for it. Felt too long to be as one note as it was. I tend to really like high school drama shit and Your Lie doesn't stand out to me. Looks nice though.

I actually just finished it a few days ago. I really enjoyed it. There were some really beautiful scenes. Thought the music was pretty good as well. I was surprised as to how emotional it made me and how often it did so.

This was a show I just had to pause sometimes and look at what I was seeing in front of me in awe. Gorgeous.

Also just listening to the beginning of the first OP, when the cat is on the piano, always ruins me. Makes me remember everything.

EDIT: Fuck the OP is making me teary-eyed again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom