• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Madden fans are teh THUGGS!

I went to my local EB for lunch (Eatontown, NJ) and they were talking about how crazy last night and today were because of the Madden launch. They then told people how it was nothing compared to what happened at another local EB (Ocean County Mall, Toms River, NJ).

Apparently, the store had promised people that Madden would be there ~7-7:30pm last night. Unfortunately, a delay in the inbound flight delivering the goods meant that no games until the next morning. There were several dozens of people waiting (300 preorders at this store) and they started to get a little nasty and told the EB folks that they weren't leaving until they got the game.

After being a pretty motley crue and threatening the EB folks for quite a while, driving the female store manager to tears, the store finally called the police. A contingent of 10 cops with appropriate riot gear came along and dispersed the crowd. I didn't particularly believe the dude as he called the police "the SWAT team", but he told me it was in the local paper (the Asbury Park Press) and lo and behold it was.

I haven't heard how it ended up today with the folks finally getting their preorders, but I think I'll drop by the store later tonight for an update.

I think this proved beyond a shadow of a doubt, that ESPN is the game for more refined tastes and Madden is for the neanderthals of the country. or something like that :)

You guys have any stories like this? I know that there were quite a few PS2 launch stories about line problems, stealing PS2's etc, but this is the first time I've heard it about a game.

DMczaf

I think this proved beyond a shadow of a doubt, that ESPN is the game for more refined tastes and Madden is for the neanderthals of the country. or something like that

And your statement is destoryed with one word

Konex.

signet

I worked last night at my EB but it wasn't to bad. We were supposed to get the game about 7pm but the plane it was on had technical difficulties and eventually landed at the wrong airport so we didn't get the game until 10pm. Our store was packed but everyone was clam, a guy had a puppy with him so I think all the madden fans were distracted by the adorable beagle. It only took about 30 mins to get everyone their games thanks to some quick thinking by my co worker (he suggested we persell the game to everyone there in full so when it got there it would be less work per transaction).

segasonic

sonycowboy said:
You guys have any stories like this? I know that there were quite a few PS2 launch stories about line problems, stealing PS2's etc, but this is the first time I've heard it about a game.
Wait for GTA: SA !!!1

Lil' Dice

Banned
Maddenites are uncouth savages....who else would waste $50 on a roster patch?
My stomach hurts just thinking about playing online with the sort of people who worship the game...

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Lil' Dice said:
Maddenites are uncouth savages....who else would waste $50 on a roster patch?
My stomach hurts just thinking about playing online with the sort of people who worship the game...

Do you have to troll every sports game thread?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
dskillzhtown said:
Do you have to troll every sports game thread?

It's not even good trolling *sigh*

Lil' Dice

Banned
Matrix said:
It's not even good trolling *sigh*

Is a good troll really a "bad* troll, or is a *bad* troll really a good troll?
I'm not here to make anyone's day brighter, just voice my opinions....don't like them?
I can send you a box of Kleenex and tampons...

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Ahaha! Good ol' Toms River.
Jersey ROCKS!

atomsk

Party Pooper
sonycowboy said:
(Ocean County Mall, Toms River, NJ).
b]

holy shit, my hometown... haha

i moved out or TR 6 months ago.

that eb was always staffed with pricks. babbages in the same mall was 10x better

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
As I said last night when I got home, we almost rioted at our local Gamestop.

The mood was pretty good and shit, and then they busted out the PS2 Maddens and we all cheered. They whittled down the PS2 lot and a few of us were waiting for the Xbox version to be brought out. Rumors started circulating that they didn't even have it, and holy shit, let me tell you it is fucking scary when you're in a bronx gamestop at 11PM with 20 other guys waiting for their Xbox Madden and fearing it did not come in. Thank God the manager of the store quickly smoothed things over by opening the other box of games.

Claus

Banned
TheDiave said:
Yeah, no shit... A buncha dumbasses with attention deficit disorder and poor taste. lol. That oughta be a hoot!

*ducks and covers*

This is the best thing I've read all day.

Alex

I like GTA, but I'm not typically one to rush to it's defense. However, I have to say slamming anything with a Dragon Ball avatar in tow is the ultimate form of irony. Espically while mentioning "taste" Holy shit. I don't think you can dip any further into the non-taste pool than that.

PS: I'm not an elitest, all anime is retarded.

There. *ducks and covers*

Alex said:
I like GTA, but I'm not typically one to rush to it's defense. However, I have to say slamming anything with a Dragon Ball avatar in tow is the ultimate form of irony. Espically while mentioning "taste" Holy shit. I don't think you can dip any further into the non-taste pool than that.

PS: I'm not an elitest, all anime is retarded.

There. *ducks and covers*

Already mentioned in thread, but: Kotex.

Top Bottom