• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mafia 4 is Now In Pre Production (UE5)

Please be 70s Vegas and not some prequel at the turn of the century Sicily as rumored.
Please don't make an other open world if you don't have the budget and resources to fill it with meaningful and varied activities.
Just a next gen Mafia 2 would be fine instead of an other Mafia 3.
But these two things contradict each other. Mafia 2 was also a game with nothing to do in the world except progress the storyline. In fact all of the Mafia games aren't really sandboxes, and their open worlds just exist to be backdrops.

Hugare

Please don't make an other open world if you don't have the budget and resources to fill it with meaningful and varied activities.
So you mean another open world without meaningful and varied activities? lol

Just now entering pre production, jesus. Maybe we will see it this gen.

Production cycles are so depressive nowadays. One game per studio for the whole generation most of the time.

Thirty7ven

Banned
So you mean another open world without meaningful and varied activities? lol

Just now entering pre production, jesus. Maybe we will see it this gen.

Production cycles are so depressive nowadays. One game per studio for the whole generation most of the time.

Maybe they take so long because of comments like yours. You want an open world with meaningful and varied activities, then another one comes and says they want this and that, then the other expects graphics and animation to be top of the line.

Senua

Better be a huge improvement over 3, they need the immersive sim elements from the first game especially, but like fuck will it have those.

Illusion Softworks or bust!

Mafia 3 tried hard to be another open world game, with Ubi flavor. I hope they get back to the formula of Mafia1 (or 2). A linear shooter with some racing and leave distracting sidequests for other games.
Or actually finally bridge the gap between RDR and GTA and be proper open world with nonsense to do on every corner and wasting much time spent going to your mission on a way too big map.
And next: GTA with knights and castles...

MMaRsu

Banned
Mafia 2 had zero interesting and meaningful activities.

An open world doesnt mean the game is a sandbox, or needs activities.

Its just set dressing for a linear story in the Mafia games.

Hugare

Maybe they take so long because of comments like yours. You want an open world with meaningful and varied activities, then another one comes and says they want this and that, then the other expects graphics and animation to be top of the line.
I want a game made according to their budget/workforce

If you cant make a meaningful open world game, dont make a half assed one. Not everyone can be Rockstar and thats fine.

See the Yakuza franchise. They couldnt afford to make a big open world, so they made a big space to set their game in, instead of making a FF XV open world with nothing meaningful in it.

Last edited:

JCK75

Good, Loved Mafia 1+2,
3 I loved the characters, the story, and many of the things they were doing on a gameplay level.. but it just didn't come together into something great..

MMaRsu

Banned
I want a game made according to their budget/workforce

If you cant make a meaningful open world game, dont make a half assed one. Not everyone can be Rockstar and thats fine.

See the Yakuza franchise. They couldnt afford to make a big open world, so they made a big space to set their game in, instead of making a FF XV open world with nothing meaningful in it.
The open world is just a backdrop for the linear story.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I actually liked Mafia III, lol. But I get why people hated it. It's a series with its own unique style and turning it into a more generic GTA clone seemed like blasphemy. But I didn't care, it was still fun to play and the story was awesome. Lincoln is a great character.

Anyway, the devs have proven that they still have what it takes with Mafia remake so I'm sure that if the publisher won't interfere too much then it should be great. Can't wait.

Please don't be a disastrous hairy fermented turd.

Happy Ball State GIF by Ball State University

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Didn't they disband Hangar 13 after disappointing sales of Mafia 3?

Get ready for MP GAAS! Gather your crew and beat down the neighborhood.

Top Bottom