• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Man responsible for making Rogue One good signs first-look deal with Lucasfilm

ManaByte

FandomWire has received exclusive insider information that Tony Gilroy has signed a first-look deal with Lucasfilm. This deal apparently includes developing more Star Wars series for Disney+ as well as directing a Star Wars movie.

Gilroy was the one who Edwards brought in to re-write and re-shoot the third act of Rogue One after Disney execs, all the way up to Iger, weren't happy with the original cut. The result was what everyone says is the best modern Star Wars movie. He made Andor, and I guess the response to that has led Lucasfilm to give him a big deal for another series and a movie.

ManaByte

Star Wars will only interest me again if they move completely away from any established continuity, and do something fresh in another corner of that universe.

That's what Taika's movie and Rogue Squadron were going to do. The rumor was it's the far far future.

Rian Johnson's trilogy is rumored to be the ancient past at the dawn of the Jedi when the first Hyperspace lanes opened.

Lady Jane

Banned
The first and third act of Rogue One are great. The second act is dry and they missed opportune moments for character development. I read that in the original cut, Jyn and Cassian got away in a stolen TIE fighter. The entire crew dying helped the movie to get a seal of approval from me and if he was responsible for that, then I'm interested in what else he has to offer. Star Wars is begging for content that has an actual end. A large reason why The Mandalorian, Boba Fett, and Obi-Wan show don't interest me is because I know that Disney is going to stretch these stories out as long as possible. It's exhausting.

Lady Jane

Banned
Not true. There’s behind the scenes footage of Cassian’s original death. He was shot in the back at a bunker door on the beach.

Maybe it was just Jyn then who got away. In the original trailers, you can even see her walk to a TIE fighter from on-top of the tower and inside of one. I think it was a quote from Kennedy talking about it.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Maybe it was just Jyn then who got away. In the original trailers, you can even see her walk to a TIE fighter from on-top of the tower and inside of one. I think it was a quote from Kennedy talking about it.
There’s not a quote from Kennedy about it. That’s a bogus theory invented by a YouTuber who was pushing their theory that Jyn and Cassian were Rey’s parents based on that trailer shot. The behind the scenes footage from the original third act debunked it.

They wrote a version where the cast survived because they thought Disney wouldn’t let them kill the main characters. When Disney said they could the only versions they filmed were where they all died.

Their original deaths were on the beach.

The TIE Fighter shot was just created for the trailer and was never meant to be in the movie.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Hated Rogue one, accept the vader scene
except - used before a statement that forms an exception to one just made: :)

I accept that scene as punching up the movie. But when in one show they have Vader use the force to crush a shuttle then in this movie they have a shuttle flee Vader and he doesn't use the force it smacks of inconsistency.

Trunx81

except - used before a statement that forms an exception to one just made: :)

I accept that scene as punching up the movie. But when in one show they have Vader use the force to crush a shuttle then in this movie they have a shuttle flee Vader and he doesn't use the force it smacks of inconsistency.
Inconsistency? In the new Disney Star Wars universe? NEVER! 🤣🤣

RAÏSanÏa

This film maker gets the Shakespearean and handles it well.

Deaths for all ages and occasions!
Deaths of kings and princes, and... nobodies.

sDqBbQa.png

Andor is near.

clarky

Gold Member
Rouge one is the only half decent thing to come out of Disney era SW. And when i say half i mean half.

The whole thing needs setting on fire and a reset.

TVexperto

The original third act wasn't darker. It was just dumber. The characters just got shot in the back on the beach while running away.
Oh I didnt know that. Would love to read more about the original version or the behind the scenes drama, is there a book or video summary of it? I genuinly dont know

Top Bottom