• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario and Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Oympics |OT| Skating on the thin ice of Next Gen

zroid

Banned
Hmm. I heard that the curling game is actually good. I've always wanted to play a curling video game. Curling's one of my favourite sports. @_@

disap.ed

500px-2016_Summer_Olympics_logo.svg.png

.. that is a beautiful logo btw.

Thought the same this very second, fantastic!

coreyerb

Banned
But only for 4 out of the 25 modes according to gamexplain =(

But baby steps, I guess
My thoughts exactly. Progress. Disappointing that more modes aren't included, but they very well could've said no online like every other game. I'd say I hope they add a few more modes online (like curling. please add curling online.) but I suppose that's just being greedy.

coreyerb

Banned
Hmm. I heard that the curling game is actually good. I've always wanted to play a curling video game. Curling's one of my favourite sports. @_@
No joke, Curling Simulator 2014 - I would stand in line for that game. But I'll settle for what I'm sure is a limited, gimmicky version in this game and I will not complain one bit.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
No joke, Curling Simulator 2014 - I would stand in line for that game. But I'll settle for what I'm sure is a limited, gimmicky version in this game and I will not complain one bit.

The curling is nicely done, with the part where you can prepare your strategy by drawing on he gamepad or get hints about what strategy to use. And the throw and sweep are clean, no unnecessary moves/gimmick.

To be honest winter games seem much more suited to this type of title than summer games.

I think it's easier to do winter sports than summer sports.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Spent half an hour with the game. Looks really good for the most part, characters, some stages and overall presentation are all lookers. But in terms of control mechanics and sheer game polish it does not hold a candle to NL. I hope my kids will like it for the sheer amount of favorite characters the game offers.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Spent half an hour with the game. Looks really good for the most part, characters, some stages and overall presentation are all lookers. But in terms of control mechanics and sheer game polish it does not hold a candle to NL. I hope my kids will like it for the sheer amount of favorite characters the game offers.

Nintendo Land is really a great game, with a lot of work put into details, as it was intended as a show case for the console. I think it will difficult for any party game to beat it.

edit: some more pictures

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01b4uqd.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01cruwj.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_013nup9.jpg

How in the world did this game get bad reviews? They can spin a couple of franchises out of this. You could do a Mario Tennis/Strikers full fledge Hockey game or a snowball/water ballon/foam ball shooter. Both would move tons of units.

webrunner

HERE'S something to think about.

If you're a competitor at the Olympics, you are put up in Olympic Village, basically a town where nobody is allowed in except for the actual competitors (and in some cases guardians for the underaged gymnasts and such)

One thing that's been in the news for the last few is just how much sex happens in this place- a bunch of people in their prime, absolutely ridiculously good bodies, living together unsupervised? yeah.

Now, as a result, they give the olympians a lot of condoms. In London 2012 150 thousand were delivered to the village (as the previous olympics 100k RAN OUT)

that's an average of 15 condoms per athlete, because 10 wasn't enough.

That means that, hypothetically, after you finish a race or whatever in this game, Sonic, Mario, Peach, even Yoshi, all have an average 15 condoms waiting for them back at the bunk because they're expected to use them.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
What's the consensus so far on this game? I never played any of the previous ones, but this one has caught my interest.

Hockey, Bobsleigh, Luge and snowboard events could be fun for everyone. ALso the dream events are quite good. Curling is nicely done, if you're a fan of it. Actually if you like winter sports I recommend it. Otherwise it could be a good party game, but not worth the full price. The remote bundle has a good value, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlYmpRvAoh4

WOW, I'm looking at the credits, and apparently MarvelousAQL worked on this, stealthy bastards :p, so we now have 1 Wii U game under their belt, wonder which team worked on it.

MAQL also worked on Super Money Ball Banana Splitz for Vita, and seemingly it was a mish-mash of folks from various parts from feelplus to Artoon, etc. So you couldn't really say "yeah, that was a X team game".

Edit: How funny, Yutaka Minobe was part of the sound team, he worked on other Sega games, but also on Little King's Story (he was the main composer of that, Yoko Shimomura did the intro track for LKS) and he's from delfisound, which MAQL owned up until the Marvelous and AQ merger. Now that explains everything.

disap.ed

Sorry for bumping this so late but just wanted to give a heads up that today is the last day of the sale (35€ instead of 50€) on the eShop.

disap.ed

So played about an hour or two and I am a bit disappointed that this features the gamepad so little.
I hate forced Wiimote controls (also because my 5 years old daughter can't handle them well), especially the downhill discipline for example would play a lot better with classic gameplay/analog stick controls. I hoped this wouldn't be the case with this game :(
Always switching between input devices is also going on my nerves. Every discipline I played would be at least equally as good with Gamepad/Touchscreen controls as with Wiimote ones, so I don't know why they didn't implement it at least as option.
This could be a really good game with decent control options.

kunonabi

Anybody still have a copy of this game? I need to play an online match to get one of the highlights but nobody is ever on.

My NNID is Dr.Butcher

Top Bottom