• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympics (3DS) out on March 18th in NA

L~A

Mario & Sonic have victory in their sights when #MarioSonicRio launches for #3DS on 3/18!

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/686600978649497602

CYdL878WwAQKa9J.jpg:large

No mention of the Wii U version, for some reason. Same as Japan (Feb. 18th there).

Update:

Nintendo on Facebook... Wii U version "later this year".

> https://www.facebook.com/Nintendo/p...30157.119240841493711/954919744592479/?type=3

Muzy72

Banned
God damn you're so quick, I was just about to post a thread lol. Weird that the Wii U version doesn't have a date yet though, aren't they simultaneously releasing in Japan?

EDIT: oh it's the same for Japan? hmm.

Having played every portable M&S game so far, I wouldn't recommend this game. It doesn't look to improve much on the last one aside from more characters and some more events, but a total lack of any real structure to the game really kills it. The last ones were basically a menu to a list of minigames and you couldn't even select all characters. Wanted to have Bowser go biking? Too bad, he's only for "Power" type events.

Wii U one looks pretty decent, but skip the handheld stuff.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Will wait for the Bundle version with a Wiimote on clareace at target for 16.99

If theres a Wii U version.

Of course you're also assuming there will be a Wii Remote bundle this time around as well.

I feel like a lot of folks give an unfair automatic pass to the Olympic titles. I've played 'em all and they've been a surprising amount of fun.

Kouriozan

Obviously the Wii U version became NX launch title
am I doing this right?
I'm interested in buying a new M&S game but the last one was pretty meh.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
You know that there's an arcade version of the game based on the Wii U one, right?

This one looks like a top notch effort, if only Mario and Sonic could be at somewhere else though..

An NX version makes a lot of sense and would be a fantastic launch title.

RK128

So the Wii U version is coming out latter? Guess they are really stretching the Wii U line up for all its worth (with this being a late summer game for Wii U alongside Pikmin 4, assuming that is a Wii U title).

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo timed the release of the Wii U version to make it their Sonic 25th anniversary title since the Wii U is unlikely to get whatever everyone else is getting.

I picked up the 3DS version of this yesterday, with a little trepidation, having found the London game to be even shallower than these games usually are.

The basic one player game, which is all I've played so far, lets you pick your event. There are quite a few events, and "extra" versions of all of those events.

I'm rubbish at 100m, so I could only come third on that, even with Sonic. The boxing was actually quite strategic. Playing with Donkey Kong I was up against some short but fast character from the Sonic series, who had lightning fast punches whenever I came near. Eventually I learned to keep out of his range and flattened him. Archery was great fun. Table tennis was basic table tennis, and the hoop gymnastics was the best game - it's a rhythm game, using buttons, not stylus, with a choice of only musical accompaniments unless more are unlocked later, but one of those is the Super Mario Bros tune, so I probably won't ever use the other two.

The only "extra" game I've tried is table tennis, and it was great. The table is divided into panels. Every time you bounce the ball on a panel on your opponent's side, the value of that panel goes up by one. Win the "point" and you get the value of the last panel you hit.

There's also Champion's Road and what appears to be a game based on the 3DS's step counter for the Marathon.

So far I haven't been able to choose the character I wanted every time. After I picked an event, I got the choice of about 6 characters. Also, in single-player mode, the one on one events have been the final. Even when I lost, I was still awarded the silver medal. Hopefully other modes have more in-depth competitions.

@MUWANdo

Banned
So far I haven't been able to choose the character I wanted every time. After I picked an event, I got the choice of about 6 characters..

I think that's just how this version works: certain characters are exclusive to certain events and only Mario/Sonic (I think?) are available for everything.

I'm curious, have you tried the single-player mode, the one that uses Miis? The stuff they were showing on the Japanese site makes it sounds reasonably in-depth: lots of gear to unlock, stats to upgrade, training minigames, etc.

Not yet, no - everything I've tried I posted. I'll try with the Mii tonight, perhaps, and post how it is.

Thanks for explaining about the characters - I was hoping I would be able to unlock the ones I wanted (I usually use Donkey Kong for everything because it's funny watching him doing the graceful events) but seems I can't.

I've found them better than the earlier 3DS game (London Olympics) so far. The London one's games were over in a flash. Early days, though. If you aren't a fan of mini-game collections, though, this series probably isn't for you.

Will this game have multiplayer, local or online?

It only supports local multiplayer. However, you only need one copy of the game! You're able to take advantage of Download Play and use that to play multiplayer with your family friends that don't own the game.

Not much discussion going on with this game, seeming as it just hit PAL land I thought I'd share my review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e88VtJC--CA

Its a decent game with glimpses of something more, unfortunately its far too inconsistent in terms of overall quality. When its great its one of the better handheld Mario & Sonic titles.

SalvaPot

Not much discussion going on with this game, seeming as it just hit PAL land I thought I'd share my review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e88VtJC--CA

Its a decent game with glimpses of something more, unfortunately its far too inconsistent in terms of overall quality. When its great its one of the better handheld Mario & Sonic titles.

This is always my problem with the M&S games. They feel like a mediocre minigame collections with 2 or 3 fun events. They are ok on sale, but I have no motivation to get them for full price.

Camjo-Z

This is always my problem with the M&S games. They feel like a mediocre minigame collections with 2 or 3 fun events. They are ok on sale, but I have no motivation to get them for full price.

Yep. About half the minigames in Rio 3DS are one-and-done type stuff, and the other half is too limited to really get interested in. Rhythm Gymnastics is fun Hatsune Miku-ish stuff but there's a whopping 3 songs, and Ping Pong/Volleyball/Football are all pretty watered down. Golf is the only genuinely great mini game in the bunch, but even then it's sort of pointless when when you're limited to a meager 18 regular holes and 9 gimmick holes.

I guess M&S games really are the perfect representation of the Olympics - you get into it for a few days, and then you're pretty much done with it for two years.

Top Bottom