• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Avengers to showcase new gameplay in June 24th stream

Crystal Dynamics took to YouTube and social media today and announced that it’s planning to show more of Marvel’s Avengers next month in a new live stream. This event, which is being called a “War Table,” is set to occur on June 24 and will feature new gameplay and co-op footage from the title. This will be the first instance of new gameplay we’ve seen of Marvel’s Avengers since all the way back in February

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
woooah.. well thanks for the new information

If people on NeoGAF are confused, then the devs' tactics have already worked. They're going to sell millions based on the expectation and then shatter them with the reality.

“She’s our games’ protagonist,” revealed MacLeod. “You’ll experience our Avengers story through her unique perspective.”

Last edited:
If people on NeoGAF are confused, then the devs' tactics have already worked. They're going to sell millions based on the expectation and then shatter them with the reality.

that website says Ms Marvel is the 6th playable character, so meaning you will be playing 5 other characters besides her.. now im back to being confused

iconmaster

Banned
that website says Ms Marvel is the 6th playable character, so meaning you will be playing 5 other characters besides her.. now im back to being confused

Yeah, you swap between all the real Avengers in the intro portion.

The level had me approach the Golden Gate Bridge as Thor and beat up a bunch of generic soldiers, jump into Iron Man’s shoes and soar across the bridge and shoot down flying enemies, take over as Hulk as he smashes more goons, fight on the deck of the helicarrier as Captain America, and then fight Taskmaster as Black Widow.

Probably they'll show up here and there later in the game, and I anticipate a big end sequence where you go back to switching between all of them plus Kamela; but Teen Diversity is your main.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs

Probably they'll show up here and there later in the game, and I anticipate a big end sequence where you go back to switching between all of them plus Kamela; but Teen Diversity is your main.

But why? Who asked to play a game as her? I could pick 50 other Avengers I would rather play as. Is she even an Avenger? I don't even know anymore.

This game is going to break the internet and not in a good way.

Sounds more like she's the equivalent of a starter Pokémon and you unlock the rest as you go along.

Wunray

I'm not really feeling this game, would rather had a focused iron man, captain america or black widow game. When is this thing launching again?

Jbomb19

But why? Who asked to play a game as her? I could pick 50 other Avengers I would rather play as. Is she even an Avenger? I don't even know anymore.

yes in the comics she joins the avengers after the events of Secret Wars, i think. She’s a shape shifter. Don’t know if it’s true you play as mostly her in the game, though. I haven’t seen that confirmed by the studio however I’m behind in my news regarding this game. Still excited to play it!

SamFo

Oh my lord.
She really appears front and centre on the box...
It honestly looks like a self insert fan fiction character...
I'm not a marvel fan, but there must be literally dozens of heroes that people would prefer to be the protagonist/ the sixth avenger

marvels-avengers-exclusive-digital-edition-boxart-01-ps4-30jan20-en-us

Pizdetz

Banned
You play all the characters throughout the game, just on different missions.
Seems it has RPG elements and a overarching story tying all of them together.

After seeing some gameplay clips, the game feels slow, bad art directions, completely bland B-level project. Can't believe it's coming from such a good developer.
Guess the Avengers money grab was too much to pass up on. I expect this will do well with the casual crowd and teens.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Who in the hell greenlit this thing?

- doesn't use the actors likeness
- gameplay looks too cliche
- design and graphics are poor. It's not suposed to be a AAA game, but Platinum Games do things way better with less money
- more than one year after the last big movie was into theathers, in an age that things goes old in like a month or so
- the new character could be a nice twist, but also could be "the new Big the Cat" moment and everyone will hate

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I like Marvel stuff but this game just looks terrible. I'm not that interested in the Black Widow movie either though, so maybe it's just superhero fatigue or the fact that I feel like Endgame wrapped up the story nicely.

dottme

Who in the hell greenlit this thing?

- doesn't use the actors likeness
- gameplay looks too cliche
- design and graphics are poor. It's not suposed to be a AAA game, but Platinum Games do things way better with less money
- more than one year after the last big movie was into theathers, in an age that things goes old in like a month or so
- the new character could be a nice twist, but also could be "the new Big the Cat" moment and everyone will hate
When is the new MCU season starting? This might be what they are targeting.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
When is the new MCU season starting? This might be what they are targeting.
November is the first new movie, Black Widow, while the game is suposed to be launched in september.

Everyone knows that Black Widow won't be the biggest hit. Maybe next year with The Eternals. Maybe.

I wanna be surprised, but chances are that I'll stick with the Lego Avengers game. It's fun.

LoV

Banned
Those designs are ass. It reeks of too cheap to get likeness rights. Should have went for the comic likeness instead of some B grade garbage. :sick:

sol_bad

still dont know why they didnt use the likeness of the movies where MILLIONS AND MILLIONS OF PEOPLE ARE familiar

The game is not set in the MCU, get over it yo.
Why would they spend hundreds of thousands of dollars or millions of dollars to obtain likenesses when the game isn't even set in the MCU? That's wasted money.

They're at least highly misleading. It seems they're playable for an intro portion but most of the game is played as a teen girl with the power of making her hands bigger.

I'm not making that up.

Show proof that you don't play as the Avengers.

Last edited:

GreyHorace

I'm hyped for this game, even though I really don't care for Kamala. She's the only things that irks me about this title, since they could have other characters to fulfill her role.

And I don't get why people are complaining about the likenesses of the characters. Getting an actor's likeness costs a lot of money and I'd think with the likeness you'd need to get to actual actors to do mocap since they'll probably do the voices as well. I don't think Square Enix has deep enough pockets to afford the original cast of the MCU Avengers.

At least they improved the looks of Avengers from the E3 reveal, which they looked like ass.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The game is not set in the MCU, get over it yo.
Why would they spend hundreds of thousands of dollars or millions of dollars to obtain likenesses when the game isn't even set in the MCU? That's wasted money.

It is a dengerous bet not to set it in the MCU and still using the same roster as the MCU Avengers and several characters look like their MCU Avengers counterattacks but not exactly to avoid paying for the likeness... thus making it feel like a bit of a knockoff trying to profit of MCU’s halo effect.

Look at this and tell me there is no MCU Avenger “influence” (to say the least) with a straight face again ;):
WC0Vfin.jpg

This looks like an MCU knock-off, then the game may be great but the looks and feel scream (we are MCU, but could not/would not pay for the rights).

Last edited:

sol_bad

It is a dengerous bet not to set it in the MCU and still using the same roster as the MCU Avengers and several characters look like their MCU Avengers counterattacks but not exactly to avoid paying for the likeness... thus making it feel like a bit of a knockoff trying to profit of MCU’s halo effect.

Look at this and tell me there is no MCU Avenger “influence” (to say the least) with a straight face again ;):
WC0Vfin.jpg

This looks like an MCU knock-off, then the game may be great but the looks and feel scream (we are MCU, but could not/would not pay for the rights).

Avengers comics have always primarily had Hulk, Iron Man, Cap America, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Ant-Man and/or Wasp as the mains. Obviously the roster can add or remove any number of characters but they have always been the core members. They are obviously going for a more realistic look art wise but that doesn't mean they need to acquire actors likenesses. IMO, Cap is the only one that looks bad.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Avengers comics have always primarily had Hulk, Iron Man, Cap America, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Ant-Man and/or Wasp as the mains. Obviously the roster can add or remove any number of characters but they have always been the core members. They are obviously going for a more realistic look art wise but that doesn't mean they need to acquire actors likenesses. IMO, Cap is the only one that looks bad.
I4JM1uI.jpg

6K4UNZ7.jpg

Look at Banner, he looks like a Mark Ruffalo stunt double (not to mention the others too, look at Black Widow too)... you want to avoid MCU comparisons then you try harder than this (and yes you change roster more, maybe bring in Spider-man or others), you want to get MCU fans to buy the game without having to pay for MCU actors likeliness then you do exactly this.

Still, yes... Steve Rogers actually looks bad there on top of it all...

Last edited:

FranXico

Look at Banner, he looks like a Mark Ruffalo stunt double... you want to avoid MCU comparisons then you try harder than this, you want to get MCU fans to buy the game without having to pay for MCU actors likeliness then you do exactly this.

Still, yes... Steve Rogers actually looks bad there on top of it all...
They could have avoided all of the backlash by taking a different art direction. Cell-shaded characters with a more cartoon/comic book like look. Nice and simple. Also would have given more freedom designing the game as it allows to make things more camp and not grounded in realism.

wondermega

I'm put off by the people ragging on this game, I know it does look strange and definitely has some issues - but I think superhero games have come a looooong way in the past several years, and Marvel games in particular are (usually) treated with much more care than they'd been. I will give the developer credit that they have the chops to mine a fun game out of the theme and characters. As for Ms Marvel, yeah it gets a huge eye-roll from me as well, but then I am a 45-year-old guy, so I may not be precisely in the demographic of who they are working harder to appeal to. I mean, all the other characters are white (well, the Hulk is sometimes, aha) and the only other female character, bad-ass as she is, isn't exactly interesting powers-wise (BW power in a game like this = a weaker female Captain America?) I hate the depiction of Ms Marvel's powers in general, but I'll agree that at least they can be done in an interesting/unique way in a video game - seriously sounds like I am joking but a Plastic Man video game would at least be INTERESTING if done well, right? Anyway, it could have been Cap't Marvel instead, so count your blessings.

As far as the game art style, yeah still looks uninteresting to me, I think that it's always going to be jarring as the live-action characters are so extremely iconic at this point and the game is absolutely drawing from that as inspiration. But, a couple of things - I haven't looked at comic books in years and years ("Quiet everyone, an old man is speaking!") but back in the 80s, 90s you'd get a pretty wide range of artists who drew the books. It wasn't unusual for Captain America to have a kind of different look (not costume, but just drawn style) in his own book versus the style he would be drawn in the Avengers, or Secret Wars, or what-have-you. Yes they were all taking place in the same world with the same roots etc, but you'd get kind of used to these huge iconic characters just looking pretty profoundly different from book to book (especially Iron Man, The Hulk, Spidey, Batman, etc). To repeat what I said earlier, it's jarring because they are clearly drawing from the movie style, but since they can't/won't really be able to directly ape it, it doesn't seem so out-of-range as a superhero adaptation to riff on things a bit. Just has to still look COOL, and that can still be handled in character anim and power depictions and such, if it doesn't get captured so well in these screens at least.

Anyway there's my rant. I can't say that I'm personally too interested to actually try this game myself at this point, but I am certainly interested to see how it is received upon release. I was super-skeptical about the Iron Man VR game and the demo they just released really impressed me on all fronts (despite looking pretty blah in the previews). So I am gonna keep an eye on this one too!

Dazrael

This game will sell because it’s coming out in a MCU vacuum, we haven’t had a Marvel film this year and it’ll fill the void nicely for fans while hyping up Black Widow later in the year.

Its very similar to Nintendo’s Mini’s coming out when they did, to keep their name relevant while there was a dearth of Switch software.

Possible first look/tease at the game's Captain Marvel

eaurictu0aecldl.jpg

EaUrIcuU0AAMpqN

Both shots highlight Khan's appreciation of The Avengers team, but she's also apparently a big fan of Captain Marvel. Her bedroom walls are lined with superhero posters, including two of Captain Marvel, which you can see above. The Captain Marvel art on the left is from an actual comic book cover, but the poster above her bed appears to be new, and of an in-game character model. Additionally, it appears to be Carol Danvers.

Given what we know of the story and how the game begins, we doubt Captain Marvel will be a hero we are selecting from the outset of play, but there's a chance she could be woven into the narrative as it unfolds. She could also be a character that comes later through DLC. What are you thoughts on the character design shown on the poster? Leave them in the comments section below.

Last edited:
Oh my lord.
She really appears front and centre on the box...
It honestly looks like a self insert fan fiction character...
I'm not a marvel fan, but there must be literally dozens of heroes that people would prefer to be the protagonist/ the sixth avenger

marvels-avengers-exclusive-digital-edition-boxart-01-ps4-30jan20-en-us
Yeah... Because she is... Captain America... errr... wait...

Top Bottom