• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Masi Oka Wants To Set The Record Straight About Those "Death Note" Comments

proto

But that's kind of funny, because in every single thread about Asian American representation, we always see this line.

"We shouldn't single out this film, because reasons."

Sometimes the reasons make sense, sometimes they don't. But the reality is that people will bend over backwards to justify the casting of a non-Asian-American in a role where casting an Asian-American makes perfect sense.

This type of reasoning is so pervasive. People forget that what we're talking about is a general trend. Like you said, sometimes it's a valid point, and sometimes it's not, but the first reaction always seems to be "not this specific film".

kewlmyc

“We don’t want to take advantage of Death Note fans," Oka said. “We want the fans to know this is going to be a different film, [but] it’s going to have a lot of [the original property’s] core principles.”

Why fans can't seem to realize this, I don't understand. It was never going to be a straight adaption.

faridmon

I still wish this was a a Netflix TV series. Not sold on it being just a movie. There is so much they could have done exploring that idea.

But that's kind of funny, because in every single thread about Asian American representation, we always see this line.

"We shouldn't single out this film, because reasons."

Sometimes the reasons make sense, sometimes they don't. But the reality is that people will bend over backwards to justify the casting of a non-Asian-American in a role where casting an Asian-American makes perfect sense.

In this particularly instance casting an American or an actor to play an American made perfect sense for this American adaptation. The roles were no longer tied to an ethnicity.

Now American roles constantly defaulting to White is a systemic issue within Hollywood due to it being a predominately White industry.

black070

Don't know why people are so against an American adaption, we already have a more faithful Japanese movie if that's what you're looking for.

Zoe

I'm okay with Light being nonAsian. In the series he's this super nerdy super overachiever academically. It's been a harmful stereotype and the last thing we want nonAsian Americans to do is to start thinking all of us academically high achieving Asian Americans are actually interested in murdering everyone else.

But he was also super popular with all the girls falling for him.

I'm okay with Light being nonAsian. In the series he's this super nerdy super overachiever academically. It's been a harmful stereotype and the last thing we want nonAsian Americans to do is to start thinking all of us academically high achieving Asian Americans are actually interested in murdering everyone else.

A lot of us would be viewed rather suspiciously. Don't want to encourage any of us to slack off in school least we be viewed as the next potential mass murderer.

He would only have been a harmful stereotype if the producers, director wanted to depict Light that way if he was cast as an Asian American.

SRG01

As a first-gen Asian immigrant... I'm willing to see the product on its merits before judging it prematurely.

There is a problem with Asian representation in media, but crying wolf on every single thing isn't going to fix things. Something more constructive, however, would.

Edit: how did first-gen get autocorrected to first-year? ;(

janoDX

Why fans can't seem to realize this, I don't understand. It was never going to be a straight adaption.

Because they're stupid and never read o listen.

They want a 100% pure adaptation or it becomes the "worst thing ever." It happens a lot in manga and anime where good adaptations or good series get lambasted because they aren't 100% following the source material.

Also, I wanted Light to be portrayed by Zac Effron but we can't have nice things all the time.

As a first-gen Asian immigrant... I'm willing to see the product on its merits before judging it prematurely.

There is a problem with Asian representation in media, but crying wolf on every single thing isn't going to fix things. Something more constructive, however, would.

Edit: how did first-gen get autocorrected to first-year? ;(

being silent on it does nothing but only help perpetuate it. no one is "crying wolf" that doesnt even make sense in this context

^ too much Harry Potter.

Lol lightskintwin, that was a key part of his personality. That he was brilliant and hardworking and soooo good no one suspected him of anything. He was harmless and docile.

Screams model minority to me. No thanks. Y'all can take that L.

You're one noting his character when he was also handsome, charming, popular, desirable, and a heart breaker with the ladies.

This whole controversy is silly. There's no reason why an American remake of Death Note should need to have Japanese actors in the leading role.

Yes, there should be more asian characters in American films in general, but singling out this film is missing that this is a foreign remake. It's not primarily meant to be faithfully representing the original property.
People aren't singling out just this film. It's been several films and tv shows over the years that have thrown Asian americans under the bus because conveniently white actors just happened to be the best fit for whatever role.

MilkBeard

^ too much Harry Potter.

Lol lightskintwin, that was a key part of his personality. That he was brilliant and hardworking and soooo good no one suspected him of anything. He was harmless and docile.

Screams model minority to me. No thanks. Y'all can take that L. Give me some other Asian American representation on screen please.

This is also something I didn't think about. It's true that, because of the way perception works in society, this could be an unintended consequence.

And it's also true that Light, in the original story, was a native of his country, which is another good detail for people overlooking him; i.e. he's the "good ol' boy" in the perception of those around him. So looking in this sense, Light being a white native in Seattle has a positive here if they play it correctly.

I'm curious now if they will get someone with different cultural roots to play as Ray Penber, considering he was Japanese American in the story. Probably not, but it would be cool to have that line up in the same way.

SRG01

being silent on it does nothing but only help perpetuate it. no one is "crying wolf" that doesnt even make sense in this context

I said being constructive, not being silent. It's extremely premature to be judging the film on any of it's merits.

I mean, no one condemned The Departed because it was a legitimately good adaptation of the source material.

I said being constructive, not being silent. It's extremely premature to be judging the film on any of it's merits.

I mean, no one condemned The Departed because it was a legitimately good adaptation of the source material.

theres been alot of constructive arguments in response to it. the asian representation angle is just about that. people who speak to that point havent neccessarily said the movie would be shit because of it. so your comment doesnt make sense in that regard.

Zoe

People also said we need to get Asians producing the films in order to see the roles. Well, here you go.

It's been forever since I read that story, isn't he pretty important?
Edit: Woohoo, just saw I got member'd. *wipes tear from eye*

This is a different take on the story that has to fit within a 90 minute to 2 hour movie.

I wouldn't be surprised if L lives in this one.

This is a different take on the story that has to fit within a 90 minute to 2 hour movie.

I wouldn't be surprised if L lives in this one.

True.. Concerning the spoiler:
They better not do that. This event is important, and while I like creative adaptations and changes, it sounds like too much, in my book.

Top Bottom