• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

McGreevey: A Governor's Downfall, in 20 Wrenching Days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/15/nyregion/15NJTOCK.html?hp=&pagewanted=print&position=

1) Nytimes BURIES McGreevey, even admitting his "I'm a gay American" line was something given to him by the Human rights Commission as a cover line. I will give HRC a pass, perhaps they were conned into helping him not knowing this was more than him being gay.

2) Charles Kushner is deeply involved in this mess.

3) the NJ Democrat bosses are going to cut him loose sooner than later.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Ripclawe said:
1) Nytimes BURIES McGreevey, even admitting his "I'm a gay American" line was something given to him by the Human rights Commission as a cover line. I will give HRC a pass, perhaps they were conned into helping him not knowing this was more than him being gay.
Anyone that has even glanced at a paper in New Jersey over the last several months would know that McGreevey has been in big trouble as close associates of his have been involved in all kinds of scandals. Add to that politically crazy moves like the unconstitutional-yet-allowed-just-this-once borrowing of a couple billion dollars from - essentially - the future, and he was in trouble with officially and unofficially. If the HRC wasn't aware that this resignation was about more than being gay... Shit, they'd likely protest his leaving if the reason was simply his sexual orientation. That's certainly not a reason to leave public office.

2) Charles Kushner is deeply involved in this mess.
Yeah, I find this bit pretty damned crazy. He's got his own personal scandal going on and has been McGreevey's top donor over the politician's entire career. Now he's on the board of a school that was somehow involved in a proposed deal to end this debacle? Very shady.

3) the NJ Democrat bosses are going to cut him loose sooner than later.
I don't see this mentioned anywhere. The article only says that there was talk within the party of supporting Corzine for Governor instead of re-electing McGreevey. There was also a mention of the party wanting him to resign on September 2nd, but they obviously didn't get their way, at least not yet.

You have to love McGreevey's bullshit reason for not leaving until November 15th. His wife and daughter can't handle moving out until then? Shit, my family has decided to move and actually done so in far less time, and McGreevey certainly doesn't have to deal with selling his house as part of the move.

Shinobi

What's the general media action been to this move so far? Are they talking about his "alleged" misdealings, or are they simply hitched to the whole gay angle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom