• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 01/12 - 01/18

jarrod said:
04.23.09 Meja-Maji March (Square Enix)
Huh. Not to knock on the folks behind this game, but I wonder what got Square Enix publishing this? Considering they haven't exactly been a major Wii presence, I'm not sure which of "Majesco", "Greenblat", "NanaOn-Sha", or "IP nobody has heard of" made them grab it?

goompapa

donny2112 said:
Are you saying that the Wii audience is unique to not responding well to "new core-game franchises" with "poor promotion"?

I am not. But that's how the situation is. The games are not getting much promotion and unless Nintendo steps up things will not change. I know, you will say it is not really their problem.
But if Nintendo really want to put the lock on the market they should do everything in their might to help 3rd party get better game sales. Like how MS is doing. (They should have done it as soon as the Wii exploded on the scene)

jarrod

Banned
goompapa said:
These are the only games who might passed 100k imo(yikes!!). I have serious doubt about Another Code though.
I don't think WE will since it barely crossed 100k last year and the Wii has slowed down drastically ever since in terms 3rd party core-games sales.
Yeah, I don't think Playmaker 2009 will come close to 2008. I'm braced for bomba, though honestly, Konami probably makes the games with Europe in mind primarily now.

PowaPuro is aggravating since the first did decently on Wii but has gone south fast. Konami should do what they did for WE PS360, and give PowaPuro a Wii exclusivity window and make it ground up for the platform (ie: motion controls)... I think that's the only way they'll ever move the base at this point.

jarrod

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Huh. Not to knock on the folks behind this game, but I wonder what got Square Enix publishing this? Considering they haven't exactly been a major Wii presence, I'm not sure which of "Majesco", "Greenblat", "NanaOn-Sha", or "IP nobody has heard of" made them grab it?
They grabbed Lost Winds too. I think they're actively on the lookout for Wii pickups, given their own lineup is so shortsightedy thin.

Man, Nintendo isn't sweatin' Japan.

The way Wii hardware and software are selling in the other two major markets more than make up for whatever perceived shortcomings they're suffering in Japan. They could be selling at levels less than half than that of XBox and the Big N would still have this generation in the bag.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
NintendosBooger said:

The way Wii hardware and software are selling in the other two major markets more than make up for whatever perceived shortcomings they're suffering in Japan. They could be selling at levels less than half than that of XBox and the Big N would still have this generation in the bag.

Ok, but I am pretty sure Nintendo wants to dominate their home market.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
NintendosBooger said:

pwnt teh lozers m$ and shittony!!!!!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
PataHikari said:
You mean they aren't already?

Well yeah, they are, but I was disputing the point that Nintendo shouldn't worry about keeping that dominance.

markatisu

donny2112 said:
Are they doing the best of the home consoles? Yes. Are they dominating? Just like Moe "dominated" Larry and Curly.

I think if Nintendo were in the slight bit concerned we would see alternate colors or some kind of bundle, till that happens I am going to assume its the same old same old

They have the DS on the portable and the Wii in the home, I would think they are more concerned at the moment with the state of the DS then any issues surrounding the sustained success of the Wii

swerve

I don't know why everyone gets bothered by if Nintendo are doing well or not.

After all, they can only do their best, and in the end it's in heaven's hands! :p :p

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Stormbringer said:
Weekly Sales : 01/19 - 01/25

1. Mario Tennis (Wii) - 31,000
2. Fragile (Wii) - 26,000
3.Taiko no Tatsujin (Wii) - 25,000
4. Monster Hunter Portable 2G (PSP)- 25,000
5. Zill'O (PSP)- 25,000
6. Rhythm Tengoku Gold (DS)- 20,000
7. Wii Fit (Wii) - 19,000
8. Dissidia FF (PSP)- 18,000
9. Devil Survivor (DS) - 18,000
10. Wagamama Fashion (DS) - 17,000

http://thedrill.no-blog.jp/dblog/

On one hand, hurray at Fragile making it almost to the top spot.

On the other hand, shit, those numbers are not encouraging. :(

goompapa

jarrod said:
Yeah, I don't think Playmaker 2009 will come close to 2008. I'm braced for bomba, though honestly, Konami probably makes the games with Europe in mind primarily now.

PowaPuro is aggravating since the first did decently on Wii but has gone south fast. Konami should do what they did for WE PS360, and give PowaPuro a Wii exclusivity window and make it ground up for the platform (ie: motion controls)... I think that's the only way they'll ever move the base at this point.

I agree about PowerPro. But I don't think Konami even cares. They are probably just happy seeing the handheld versions compensating for the worsening console version sales.

RpgN

Regulus Tera said:
On one hand, hurray at Fragile making it almost to the top spot.

On the other hand, shit, those numbers are not encouraging. :(

Really, it's the time of the year. Single, album and dvd rankings have been slow in Japan too.

Fragile...Well, let's see if it can stick another week.

markatisu

RpgN said:
Really, it's the time of the year. Single, album and dvd rankings have been slow in Japan too.

Fragile...Well, let's see if it can stick another week.

With sales as low as they are it possibly could, but if its a 35k shipment the most it could sell would be 9-10k right?

Osuwari

jarrod said:
Agreed. It's actually got a pretty nice filler lineup though, but no real "stand outs" to drive things. :/

List (w/dates only)!

01.29.09 Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time (Square Enix)
01.29.09 Tomb Raider Underworld (Spike)
02.05.09 Another Code-R: Kioku no Tobira (Nintendo)
02.05.09 High School Musical 3: Senior Year DANCE! (Disney Interactive Studios)
02.12.09 Skate It (Electronic Arts)
02.19.09 Dead Rising: Zombie no Ikenie (Capcom)
02.19.09 Wii de Asobu: Metroid Prime (Nintendo)
02.19.09 SimAnimals (Electronic Arts)
02.26.09 One Piece Unlimited Cruise Episode 2: Mezameru Yuusha (Bandai)
02.26.09 Winning Eleven Playmaker 2009 (Konami)
03.05.09 Relaxuma: Minna de Goyururi Seikatsu
03.12.09 Boku to Sim no Machi Party (Electronic Arts)
03.12.09 Phantom Brave Wii (Nippon Ichi Soft)
03.12.09 Sonic to Ankoku no Kishi (SEGA)
03.12.09 We Cheer (Bandai)
03.19.09 Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu Next (Konami)
03.19.09 Monopoly (Electronic Arts)
03.19.09 Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 09 All-Play (Electronic Arts)
03.19.09 Winter Sports 2009: The Next Challenge (Arc System Works)
03.26.09 Suzumiya Haruhi no Heiretsu (SEGA)
03.26.09 Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's: Wheelie Breakers (Konami)
04.02.09 Winning Post World (KOEI)
04.23.09 Meja-Maji March (Square Enix)
04.23.09 Monster Hunter G (Capcom)
04.30.09 Fish Eyes Wii (Marvelous Entertainment)

...granted it's going to fill out for April, and there's WiiWare to also consider, but MHG looks like the only thing lined up that could crack 250k imo. :/

already? i'll have to bust out my credit card to import. damn NOA.

Rocksteady33

While the Wii sales are somewhat disappointing, the fact that Nintendo has managed to go 2 years and some change under one SKU, one color, no bundles (let us not forget you don't get a free game over in Japan), and zero price drops is pretty god damn impressive. I think the Wii can ride out its current hardware situation until Wii Sports 2, and if that doesn't spark any kind of dominant like sales than, yeah, maybe Nintendo should consider some new hardware options, but as of right now I think considering the history of this console, they are doing damn well.

Spiegel

markatisu said:
With sales as low as they are it possibly could, but if its a 35k shipment the most it could sell would be 9-10k right?

There may be a re-stock within the week. The game is in stock in amazon.jp at least

RpgN

markatisu said:

Possible, but I'm a little optimistic. It can chart again if there aren't many interesting new games next week.

markatisu

Spiegel said:
There may be a re-stock within the week. The game is in stock in amazon.jp at least

A re-stock would at least be a better sign of success than say Sky Crawlers.

Does the FFCC Echoes of Time DS game come with the FFCC Wii trailer or is that only on the Wii edition?

Metsuke

Banned
swerve said:
I don't know why everyone gets bothered by if Nintendo are doing well or not.

After all, they can only do their best, and in the end it's in heaven's hands! :p :p

Do you work at Sony?

What are the expectations of The Crystal Bearers? I'm going to say better than all of the previous entries, and probably Echoes of Time, but not hugely better.

Just to point out a trend, The Crystal Bearers makes it the fourth large budget RPG on the Wii coming out sometime in the future. The Wii is slowly gaining support.

Stopsign said:
What are the expectations of The Crystal Bearers? I'm going to say better than all of the previous entries, and probably Echoes of Time, but not hugely better.

Just to point out a trend, The Crystal Bearers makes it the fourth large budget RPG on the Wii coming out sometime in the future. The Wii is slowly gaining support.

I'd agree it should probably do better than all previous CC games. 500,000 would be pretty good sales, compared to past entries. Maybe higher depending on how good it winds up being, and how much Wii owners are craving a Final Fantasy experience.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Stopsign said:

what year is it coming out in and how much are they promoting it? ;)

Stumpokapow said:
what year is it coming out in and how much are they promoting it? ;)

I think Monster Hunter Tri, Crystal Chronicles, and Tales of Ten will all come out with in 6 to 8 months of each other. So maybe late 2009 to mid 2010. All will have a relatively large marketing budget.

And yes I realize that was sort of a rhetorical question.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
shykyoichi said:
Is there any data on the LTD sales of Suikoden Tierkreis? I'm checking if it passed Suiko 5 already.
You mean Suikoden V's first week?

shykyoichi said:
Is there any data on the LTD sales of Suikoden Tierkreis? I'm checking if it passed Suiko 5 already.
This includes sales through the week beginning January 5.
Tierkreis

jj984jj said:
You mean Suikoden V's first week?

I meant LTD sales. It's been mentioned several times that Suikoden's fate hangs on Tierkreis and if Konami's "innovation" didn't work and attract enough userbase to compensate the alienated core fans, that will equal death for this niche series.

Thanks, Joshua. Based on your graph, it's following the projection of S5. I don't think that's good given that Tierkreis is on the DS.

Top Bottom