• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 10/20 - 10/26

apotema

donny2112 said:
Nah.

On the topic of the top-selling game in 2008 ...

Over the past 12 years, the top-selling game each year has either been Pokemon (6, no third games), Dragon Quest (2, possibly another with DQVI in 1995), Final Fantasy (2), Wii Sports (1), or Animal Crossing (1). For this year, Monster Hunter Portable 2 G is currently #1 (2.44 million), and it's pretty much through for the year with its BEST re-release having been released this week.

Can anything catch it?

#2 in a few weeks will be Pokemon Platinum, but it'll be almost 600K behind. Does Platinum have 600K in it for the rest of the year? I don't think so. Animal Crossing Wii? Nah. Anything else likely this year? Nope.

That means that Monster Hunter Portable 2 G should be the top-selling game in 2008.

* First PSP #1
* First Capcom #1
* Fourth Sony system #1
* Eighth portable #1

:)

Yes, that's because some game with a IX in its name got delayed

Michan

jeremy1456 said:
Yeah but everyone owns a computer now but the same can't be said for the PS3. Oh and those are free whereas LBP is not.
LBP is free with a five finger discount, just like my neighbour's Internet is for me.

Guymelef said:
Old game out of the charts + free download content + release as new game = good business.
Bundling it for free helped too I guess.

gtj1092 said:
I love being quoted! Must mean I got my point across.:D
You sure got a point across - I don't think it was the one you intended though.

test_account said:
Ok, seems to make sense due to the 256MB internal storage that DSi has + the DSi has a SD slot. Does the DS and the DS Lite have some internal storage memory?
No. Well, enough to save things like system settings, but that's tiny. I'm kinda bummed there's no plan to release a SLOT-2 solution for older DSs. Really makes the DS shop seem more experimental than anything if they're leaving the first four years of hardware purchasers out of a way in, short of repurchasing a new system.
davepoobond said:
try never breaking 250k if your hypothesis is correct.
He never says when that 1-5K/week would end.
Doubtful if it'd even get 200k at the rate its going right now.
Nah, games selling like this tend to get at least that far. 200-300K is the norm.

Rolf NB

Awesome. PS3 almost tripled my predictions. I didn't expect GTA IV (nor LBP for that matter, nor GT5P) to have enough of an appeal to turn this into a real hardware bump.

At least my 360 prediction turned out acceptable.
Code:
            PS3       PS3            |    360       360
Week     predicted  outcome    Diff  | predicted  outcome    Diff
Oct-20       3800     3931    +3.5%  |    8000     7844     -2.0%
Oct-27      12999    36000* +176.9%* |    6800     6300*    -7.4%*
Nov-03      10000                    |    7900

*preliminary (early Famitsu data instead of MC)

I need to revise my prediction for next week: 16500 PS3s and 7100 Xbox 360s.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Phife Dawg said:
You sure got a point across - I don't think it was the one you intended though.

gtj1092 is part of the legendary class of posters whose usernames come in the form [A-Za-z]{3,5}[0-9]{3,5}. It's weird, but they all post pretty much the exact same stuff. Most of them fly under the radar, but a few of them get banned. Scientists haven't figured out the exact mechanism by which the choice of username impacts the quality of posts, but they're working on it.

test_account

XP-39C²
Oblivion said:
Ah, no worries. :) To answer your question, I'm not sure myself. I know there's a Japanese youtube division, and I would assume that's fairly popular. Also there's that Nico video thing over there, though I really have no clue how it registers on the scale.
Ye, i thought about Nico Nico as well, but as you also said, i have no clue how big Nico Nico is. I guess YouTube is fairly popular in Japan as well as in the rest of the world :)

Oblivion said:
Well, as far as western games go, the Donkey Kong Country series did really well from what I recall there. I also believe that some of Sony's platformers, such as Ratchet and Jak did pretty good too. GTA: SA did about 500k, I think, but that's about it as far as successful western games go (from what I know at least). Though to be honest, I don't think most people really distinguish much who the developer is, whether they're western or eastern as long as it's not completely obvious (such as a game like Call of Duty).
Ye, that is true, some western developed games did well in Japan, like the game titles that you mentioned :) Ye, i also think this, that most people dont really distinguish who the developer is. I guess that the main reason is that many of the western developed games simply doesnt appeal that much to the japanese people in general, not just because the games are made by western developers.

JoshuaJSlone said:
No. Well, enough to save things like system settings, but that's tiny. I'm kinda bummed there's no plan to release a SLOT-2 solution for older DSs. Really makes the DS shop seem more experimental than anything if they're leaving the first four years of hardware purchasers out of a way in, short of repurchasing a new system.
Ok, thanks for the info! :) Ye, the DS Store might be a eperimental thing to begin with. If the DS Store does it really well, maybe there is a possibility that Nintendo will release some sort of SLOT-2 addon to the DS and the DS Lite so that they dont have to buy a DSi to be able to use the DS Store.

:)

Stumpokapow said:
gtj1092 is part of the legendary class of posters whose usernames come in the form [A-Za-z]{3,5}[0-9]{3,5}. It's weird, but they all post pretty much the exact same stuff. Most of them fly under the radar, but a few of them get banned. Scientists haven't figured out the exact mechanism by which the choice of username impacts the quality of posts, but they're working on it.
Like donny2112?

Stumpokapow said:
:lol

[A-Za-z] instantly reminded me of the battle of Azaz, it kind of fits as well, if you think of gtj1092 as being the Seljukians being lured out and then getting beat. Allthough this is of course terribly nerdy - but there you go.

Top Bottom