• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: April 20-26

Rolf NB

Raggy said:
so will we get 2x numbers next week then?
Not quite. Numbers for the two weeks are always combined when a week gets skipped like this. So we get one set of numbers for a 14-day period. Accumulated LTDs will still be accurate, but we lose the more precise breakdown of how things developed week-to-week.

Raggy

Banned
bcn-ron said:
Not quite. Numbers for the two weeks are always combined when a week gets skipped like this. So we get one set of numbers for a 14-day period. Accumulated LTDs will still be accurate, but we lose the more precise breakdown of how things developed week-to-week.

right.

That works too.

909er

test_account said:
Ah ok. Now that you mention it, i think i remember that we got them last year ye. It doesnt seem that we get them today (at least not after european time) :( Hopefully we will get it tomorrow. Hehe, ye, it is boring when we dont get the numbers, i agree :)

Last year, Golden Week ended on a Tuesday. This year, it ended on a Wednesday. I don't know if that's why there were numbers last year, but if so I wouldn't count on getting new numbers this week.

test_account

XP-39C²
909er said:
Last year, Golden Week ended on a Tuesday. This year, it ended on a Wednesday. I don't know if that's why there were numbers last year, but if so I wouldn't count on getting new numbers this week.
Ah ok. Ye, that might be why we got the numbers last year, thanks for the info :)

donny2112

bcn-ron said:
Numbers for the two weeks are always combined when a week gets skipped like this. So we get one set of numbers for a 14-day period. Accumulated LTDs will still be accurate, but we lose the more precise breakdown of how things developed week-to-week.

That's Famitsu, and with the leaks, separated weekly Top 20s, and monthly Top 20, we can usually get the sales for all Top 30 games each week with some being rounded. I've never seen Media-Create combine two weeks, though. They just release two sets of data in the same week. :)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Are we really not going to get a Famitsu leak?

awwwww nuts

markatisu

donny2112 said:
That's Famitsu, and with the leaks, separated weekly Top 20s, and monthly Top 20, we can usually get the sales for all Top 30 games each week with some being rounded. I've never seen Media-Create combine two weeks, though. They just release two sets of data in the same week. :)

Well at least that way we will get both weeks of Golden Week correct?

donny2112

schuelma said:
Are we really not going to get a Famitsu leak?

We should at some point. Nothing yet, though.

markatisu said:
Well at least that way we will get both weeks of Golden Week correct?

Yep. :)

Edit:
Japanese Wiki Troll Wars:

Wii
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii
Google Translation said:
This page is based on the policy as a reason for the vandalism, unregistered and new users (IP) has been banned by the editing.
XBOX360
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBOX360
Google Translation said:
This page is based on semi-protection policy, and is protected from editing to some users.
Playstation3
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/Playstation3

Nothing.

:lol

Grimmy

Banned
Look like they are updating real time:

1. Persona (PSP) 79,000
2. Dragon Ball Kai (NDS) 74,000
3. WarioWare Myself! (NDS) 56,000
4. Jikkyou Powerful Baseball Major League 2009 (PS2) 43,000
5. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of the Sky (NDS) 43,000 (239,000)
6. Monster Hunter G (Wii) 40,000 (172,000)
7. ToraDora Portable (PSP) 38,000
8. Monster Hunter Portable 2G (Best) (PSP) 26,000 (639,000)
9. Mario & Luigi RPG 3 (NDS) 22,000 (580,000)
10. Jikkyou Powerful Baseball Major League 2009 (Wii) 16,000
11. Killzone 2 (PS3)
12. Wii Fit (Wii)
13. Sengoku Basara Battle Heroes (PSP)
14. Zettai Zetsumei Toshi 3: The Collapsing City and the Girl's Song (PSP)
15. Naruto Shippuuden: Shinobi Retsuden 3 (NDS)
16. Taiko Drum Master (Wii)
17. D.C.I.F. (PS2)
18. Mario Kart Wii (Wii)
19. X-Blade (PS3)
20. Deca Sports 2 Wii (Wii)
21. X-Blade (XB360)
22. A-Train: Take the A-Train DS (NDS)
23. Rittai Picross (NDS)
24. Pro Baseball Famista DS 2009 (NDS)
25. Jikkyou Powerful Pro Baseball 2009 (PS2)
26. Kidou Senshi Gundam: Senjou no Kizuna Portable (PSP)
27. Valkyria Chronicles (BEST) (PS3)
28. Pokemon Platinum (NDS)
29. Rhythm Tengoku Gold (NDS)
30. Musou Orochi Z (PS3)

markatisu

Looks like MHG was at 40,000 in the #6 slot

Seems low, wonder if thats the remaining standard edition (there was ~50-60k left of the initial) with no restock of the starter pak

d[-_-]b

Banned
they're updating it slowly i see
6. Monster Hunter G (Wii) 40,000
9. Jikkyou Powerful Baseball Major League 2009 (Wii) 16,000
Edit: Lol seems like they removed #9 to fix the mistake MHP 2G was missing.

Busaiku

Grimmy said:
1. Persona (PSP) 79,000
2. Dragon Ball Kai (NDS) 74,000
4. Jikkyou Powerful Baseball Major League 2009 (PS2) 43,000
10. Jikkyou Powerful Baseball Major League 2009 (Wii) 16,000
Persona took a pretty sharp drop.
It's still a good percentage of the shipment, but after its first 2 days, it fell a lot faster than I would've though.

Dragonball Kai's had better legs, but it also had a really big shipment. Anyone know if prices fell for it?

Power Pro's actually done pretty well, given its shipment numbers.
The PS2 version already sold through its inital shipment, and is probably well into its 2nd.
The Wii version has almost sold through its initial shipment.

Spiegel

Busaiku said:
Persona took a pretty sharp drop.
It's still a good percentage of the shipment, but after its first 2 days, it fell a lot faster than I would've though.

Dragonball Kai's had better legs, but it also had a really big shipment. Anyone know if prices fell for it?

Famitsu first day vs M-C first week.

Rolf NB

velvet_nitemare said:
Seems like some people haven't moved onto the current gen.
Or buttons are 2.6875 times as adequate for baseball games as motion sensing. Must be either of these two.

Busaiku said:
That's true, but wouldn't the shipment numbers be universal or something?

Shipment might be universal (I don't know where Famitsu gets shipment data), but the first day could still be different between the two trackers meaning that Media Create might have a lower recorded first day and longer tail through the weekend and as you say, "It's still a good percentage of the shipment". Best to wait for Famitsu numbers.

donny2112

I think the Wii is officially in the crapper in Japan. :lol

PSP 49,557
DSi 49,133
PS3 23,588
Wii 21,546
DS Lite 7,540
Xbox 360 7,313
PS2 5,479

http://www.m-create.com/ranking/

No bump for the start of Golden Week for a Nintendo system = really bad.

Edit:
Can anyone in Japan tell us if the week off from work started on April 29th or if it was this week?

markatisu

donny2112 said:

Well its going up I suppose, two weeks of increases in MC would be an achievement given how MC had it dropping far deeper and more often then Famitsu :lol

Maybe now Nintendo will let us know the other games in WSR and a release date for Japan, I mean there is pretty much nothing left

I always thought the 2nd week of Golden Week was bigger for Wii because its kids/families day or something

Brofist

donny2112 said:

PSP 49,557
DSi 49,133
PS3 23,588
Wii 21,546
DS Lite 7,540
Xbox 360 7,313
PS2 5,479

Edit:
Can anyone in Japan tell us if the week off from work started on April 29th or if it was this week?

Most people are already back to work from the GW holiday, 4/30-5/3. Some lucky asses have through this weekend off.

I was at a Sofmap today, completely anecdotal of course but you could have built a small house with the stack of used Wiis for sale. And you could have built a small add-on for that house with the amount of copies of Wii Music clogging the bargain bin.

Spiegel

markatisu said:
Well its going up I suppose, two weeks of increases in MC would be an achievement given how MC had it dropping far deeper and more often then Famitsu :lol

Maybe now Nintendo will let us know the other games in WSR and a release date for Japan, I mean there is pretty much nothing left

I always thought the 2nd week of Golden Week was bigger for Wii because its kids/families day or something

Garaph to the rescue.

Code:
[B]System   GW2008-1   GW2008-2      GW2009-1     GW2009-2[/B]

Wii       71,518      67,308       21,546
DS 	  52,542      51,228       56,673
PS2 	   8,802       7,464        5,479
PS3       10,177       8,054       23,588
PSP      100,870      89,884       49,557
X360       1,725       1,298        7,313

PSP was doing craaazy numbers last year (with 2-3 games in the Top 30).

spwolf

lochnesssnowman said:
Everything's in the crapper - pretty low all round for Golden Week unless I'm mistaken.

everything is in the crapper, but some more than others :lol

Awful sales, how the heck is PS3 ahead still?

Brofist

spwolf said:
everything is in the crapper, but some more than others :lol

Awful sales, how the heck is PS3 ahead still?

Because there have actually been some interesting releases for it recently. Not that surprising.

DarkMehm

I'm now a sales-ager since 2003 and every year the Golden Week gets overrated. I remember years where there was almost no increase during that week (2005?).

That kind of increases (~20-30%) is pretty much normal, much more can't be expected. Also what 2nd week? Do you mean the two days that are tracked on the next charts?

donny2112 said:

PSP 49,557
DSi 49,133
PS3 23,588
Wii 21,546
DS Lite 7,540
Xbox 360 7,313
PS2 5,479

Edit:
It did get a bump though, and everything didn't increase that much either.

PSP - +8k
DSi - +12k
PS3 - +0k
WII - +3k
360 - +0k
PS2 - +1k
kpop100 said:
Golden Week really isn't a big gift giving holiday. It's more of a family travel holiday, last thing most people are thinking of is sitting home and playing video games during it.
Golden Week is pretty big for sales-age, it's just that this year the economy is in the shitter.

Brofist

DarkMehm said:
I'm now a sales-ager since 2003 and every year the Golden Week gets overrated. I remember years where there was almost no increase during that week (2005?).

That kind of increases (~20-30%) is pretty much normal, much more can't be expected. Also what 2nd week? Do you mean the two days that are tracked on the next charts?

Golden Week really isn't a big gift giving holiday. It's more of a family travel holiday, last thing most people are thinking of is sitting home and playing video games during it.

markatisu

BishopLamont said:

13,221-->18,439 (MHG)-->21,546(GW)

Apparently thats not enough. Wonder what would happen if there was no MHG

Spiegel

BishopLamont said:

PSP - +8k
DSi - +6k
PS3 - +0k
WII - +3k
360 - +0k
PS2 - +1k

Last year bumps, for comparison

Wii - +22722
DS - +10107
PS2 - +1694
PS3 - +1070
PSP - +8459
360 - +442

cvxfreak

Iwata's aware of the Wii's situation in Japan, but a bunch of news articles pinpoint to him being more concerned about growth in the Western markets.

I smell a potential repeat of the DS, which was most successful in Japan for a few years (with weekly sales surpassing monthly US sales for awhile, even) before its accelerated growth led to a perceived huge drop off.

While Japan's too small to ever support Nintendo's bottom line by itself (this ain't the 1980s), I think beginning next year, the potential for growth in NA and Europe will be smaller than that of Japan percentage-wise. I see monthly Wii sales eventually dropping by a bit during normal months, offset by a rise in Japanese sales. This is assuming Nintendo becomes more aggressive in Japan and starts reasserting itself. Being outsold by the PS3 might be the wake up call they needed.

On the other hand, awesome for the PS3. I knew last year that the PS3's best days were ahead of it, and I was right. I think I have the posts to prove it in last year's threads, too.

spwolf

kpop100 said:
Because there have actually been some interesting releases for it recently. Not that surprising.

you mean months ago? :D

seriosly, PS3 games were released quite a while ago... with MHG + Golden Week, Wii should have jumped over PS3 easily.

BishopLamont said:
Golden Week is pretty big for sales-age, it's just that this year the economy is in the shitter.
One should also remember that Japan has a recent experience with a shitty economy with the bubble bursting in the '90s. They already know how to budget for it.

markatisu

TheBranca18 said:
10 weeks in a row now...is the end next week?

Depends if the PS3 drops, it only went up about 230 units with GW

62,527 --> 23,351--> 23,588 (GW)

vs Wii

13,221-->18,439 (MHG)-->21,546(GW)

Wii does not have anything next week right so it could drop again

Brofist

spwolf said:

seriosly, PS3 games were released quite a while ago... with MHG + Golden Week, Wii should have jumped over PS3 easily.

I still think the string of titles that started in Feb. up until a few weeks ago is still holding them over, plus the FFXIII demo, hell even Killzone 2 while not a blockbuster still pushed a few copies.

I wouldn't underestimate the effect of some big name PS1 games releasing on PSN either. FFVII, Grandia and a host of others.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
spwolf said:

The FF13 demo sold double what MH G did and was released one week before.

cvxfreak

FFXIII had a console bundle as well, and FF's always been strong on consoles. The passion of the console FF fanbase can easily explain that as well. MH seems to lack that in comparison.

Monster Hunter G isn't really the type of game that should sell systems on its own, even with a demo. I think it's bulk of sales are going to Nintendo gamers who never played the series on the PS2 or PSP before. Monster Hunter 3 on the other hand will be huge.

Busaiku

Jokeropia said:
Basically, consoles in the crapper, handhelds not.
Handheld sales are in the crapper.
The PSP's down quite a bit from last year, and DS is only hanging on thanks to DSi.

lochnesssnowman said:
Shipment might be universal (I don't know where Famitsu gets shipment data), but the first day could still be different between the two trackers meaning that Media Create might have a lower recorded first day and longer tail through the weekend and as you say, "It's still a good percentage of the shipment". Best to wait for Famitsu numbers.
This is true, but regardless, Dragonball Kai is still pretty low, given its shipment.

Jokeropia

Busaiku said:
The PSP's down quite a bit from last year, and DS is only hanging on thanks to DSi.
Compared to what they used to be, perhaps, but they're still good on an absolute scale.

ksamedi

Thw Wii lost momentum because Nintendo hasn't released a new hit title since WiiFit. Wiimusic didn't help (which is a pitty) and Animal Crossing is complete crap when it comes to new features. Believe it or not, Nintendo (and maybe Capcom) is the only publisher right now who can save Japan. I expect a very stong second half from them.

Busaiku said:

No, handheld sales are down from ludicrous historic highs to only hanging out in the low end of PS2-range sales each week. The DS is outselling all three home consoles combined this week and PSP isn't that far behind.

Top Bottom