• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mediocre games with great OSTs that kept you playing just b/c you wanted to listen more

I‘m in dire need of suggestions of games with great OSTs, because I find myself liking mediocre games as long as the soundtrack is great. So far among my most favorite games, due to their great soundtracks are Nier, Modern Warfare 2 and VVVVVV, although none of them was outstanding for me if I‘d have to judge them in regards of gameplay.

Specifically this gen (meaning PS4/XO because as long as the next gen isn’t available in stores i refuse to call PS4/XO last gen) I‘m kind of missing games that kept me playing just because the soundtrack was great. So far the only soundtrack that really cought me was from Celeste.

So I‘m interested in what the games, that had an amazing soundtrack even though the core gameplay was kind of average for you, were.

Bad Mass Effect, but an AMAZING main theme.

Thanks, I was already about to buy Andromeda, even though I‘ve heard many bad things about the game. But if the soundtrack is good I guess I‘ll have a great time with it. I‘d have mentioned mass effect also, but the series is just not mediocre, it‘s a great IP overall in my opinion.

OrionNebula

*Reads title thread*
Half Baked Reaction GIF

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Thanks, I was already about to buy Andromeda, even though I‘ve heard many bad things about the game. But if the soundtrack is good I guess I‘ll have a great time with it. I‘d have mentioned mass effect also, but the series is just not mediocre, it‘s a great IP overall in my opinion.
The rest of the OST is not that great. It's just the main theme that is incredibly good. As for the game, the gameplay is good and the graphics are good too. And artistically, it's Mass Effect.
But the story... it's so awful... like so bad I can't remember a single good thing about it. And the secondary characters are simply dumb.

I say try it, you can find it for nothing now so you won't loose too much, but don't expect a good game. It's a 4/10 (and I'm nice) for me.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Definitely not a great game, but the old ass Sword of Vermilion on Genesis had fantastic music. At that time (it was a relatively early game), that game and Revenge of Shinobi were probably the best.

The game itself was half action, half RPG and repetitive as hell.

Last edited:

cireza

I don't find the game mediocre (I actually love it) but I know people tend to shit on it. Cosmic Carnage on 32X has an unbelievable soundtrack, and is 100% MegaDrive (no 32X involved).

Sonic 2006 and Sword of Vermillion are great picks, even if I can't find these games that bad either.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Resonance of Fate. It's not mediocre, just hard to play.

The saddest example of a company trying to pander to a western audience. The battle system is confusing as hell and it essentially soft locks you if you can't figure it out. I seriously am so disappointed that I was never able to master this game, it's on my bucket list to go back to it. The prerendered backgrounds and music were so great. Characters were cool, story was intriguing.

iQuasarLV

Age of Conan (MMORPG)

God this game was mediocre for an MMO. However, the atmospheric soundtrack had me hooked for almost two years. I recommend the whole OST it is awesome. Some tracks are Okay, but overall the album is worth a listen to.

Ownage

220px-SyphonFilter2Box.jpg

I don't play it anymore but I will watch YouTube videos of the club scene and random players tasering baddies into ash.

Gp1

Somnus is one of the best tracks of the decade.
FFXV on the other way...

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Another 16 oldie.

Batman Returns by Konami. Probably the worst Konami game I bought. A Final Fight rip off that was a bore. Probably one of the only licensed games I ever bought aside from sports.

But good graphics and sound. The intro is awesome too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gp1
Final Fantasy VIII.

Not that the game is super mediore, but the draw system is a bit awkward, and when combined with the drastic reduction in enemy variety, I find it less interesting than previous entries.

However, the music is so fucking baller that I can't help but play the game. Sometimes all an RPG needs is really good music.

Greggy

I‘m in dire need of suggestions of games with great OSTs, because I find myself liking mediocre games as long as the soundtrack is great. So far among my most favorite games, due to their great soundtracks are Nier, Modern Warfare 2 and VVVVVV, although none of them was outstanding for me if I‘d have to judge them in regards of gameplay.

Specifically this gen (meaning PS4/XO because as long as the next gen isn’t available in stores i refuse to call PS4/XO last gen) I‘m kind of missing games that kept me playing just because the soundtrack was great. So far the only soundtrack that really cought me was from Celeste.

So I‘m interested in what the games, that had an amazing soundtrack even though the core gameplay was kind of average for you, were.
Halo Wars 2 has the best OST I can recall having listened to.

Bakkus

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon series. The gameplay is awful, but some of the music is freaking amazing. This could be my favorite VGM of all time

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Resonance of Fate. It's not mediocre, just hard to play.

The saddest example of a company trying to pander to a western audience. The battle system is confusing as hell and it essentially soft locks you if you can't figure it out. I seriously am so disappointed that I was never able to master this game, it's on my bucket list to go back to it. The prerendered backgrounds and music were so great. Characters were cool, story was intriguing.

This makes me wanna play the game again. It is actually really easy once you know what to do. There is a training arena and I suggest you go there regularly. Not only can you make money off of it, but it also makes you understand the mechanics. I also suggest buying specialized ammunition (for example fire ammunition for iced-up enemies).
Other than that there are some bosses that can be difficult, but nothing too hard...

@Topic

Eat Lead

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Fallout 4.

Ya, half the tracks are form Fallout 3, but there's a weird charm with these oldies playing Fallout. Personal favs:

Atom Bomb Bay
It's A Man
Mighty Mighty Man
Orange Colored Sky
Rocket 69
Sixty Minute Man (this is a good one, posted it below)
The Wanderer
Way Back Home

Miles708

It’s honestly pretty crazy that arguably the worst Sonic game to come out also has arguably the best OST of the entire series.

100% agree.
And to be in topic, some people still consider Sonic Unleashed a bad game (even if history is slowly but surely proving them finally wrong), but it has a banging soundtrack:

And, most notably, the much hated night levels had some incredible, incredible jazzy tunes
Some would be straight out of Persona 5, if only that didn't came out years later.

A+++ soundtrack.
And A++ game, but history will agree with me in time.

Top Bottom