• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Megaman X1 and X2 Hardtype, or How I killed a thumb joint...

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
I've owned the carts to MMX 1 and 2 pretty much since they came out, although I rented X1 several times first. So I've definitely put in a lot of time into both titles and I already know good and well where to find everything and what to use on everyone... but since I recently got back into the Megaman mood I decided to make it hard again.

Play through and beat the game with the following restrictions:

- No Heart Tanks.
- No Sub Tanks.
- No Capsule Upgrades (Unless forced upon you in X1. Do not enter the Ice stage until all others are beaten, and can only get the gun powerup from Zero)
- No use of any weapon other than the X-Buster, at all, period.
- In X1, the Power plant must be beaten before Airport.
- In X2, no Zero parts.

Megaman X1

Spark Mandrill - Hard. Hitting his body does a lot of damage and he makes himself difficult to avoid.
Sting Chamelion - Hard. Spikes from the ceiling will whittle down your health to nothing if you don't get smacked by him directly.
Flame Mammoth - Moderate. Try to avoid letting him corner you, and you won't have too much trouble.
Boomer Kuwanger - Moderate/Hard. Without dash, not taking hits is tricky.
Armored Armadillo - Easy. He's actually harder to handle with his armor removed.
Launch Octopus - Hard. Constant missle spam. Not impossible though.
Storm Eagle - Easy. If you have stereo speakers you can kill him without much effort.
Chill Penguin - Very Easy. This fight should have a "no contest" option.

Sigma level 1 - Moderate/Hard. Don't try to beat Vile without dash or you'll just burn through lives. He charges right into you and hitting his body kills you in 2 or so hits. Boomer is now far easier with dash, but the Spider can be a royal pain if your luck is bad.

Sigma level 2 - Moderate. Chill Penguin and Storm Eagle are both easy, but the stage boss is tricky.

Sigma level 3 - Very hard. Even if you manage to fight through all 5 repeat bosses in this stage, you still have to face the stage boss... which is a BITCH to kill if you don't have health to burn.

Sigma level 4 - Frustrating. If you know what to do, beating both Sigma and his dog is straightforward, but the tedium with Sigma could lead to a mistake that takes half your health. You'll need every bit of health for the final boss, which will probably kill you if you aren't both good and lucky. That means fighting Sigma and his dog ALL OVER AGAIN. ARGH.

Megaman X2 Notes
(The main stages are easy and all the boss fights are exactly the same as they will be in the boss marathon stage, so you can use the password 8573/6865/3684/6251 to jump to the truly hard part)

X-Hunter level 1 - Insanely hard. Violen may be easy when you're able to take a beating and trade hits, but when his spiked ball kills you in three hits this fight is possibly more difficult than the Yellow Demon from MM1. I managed to get somewhat lucky on this one.

X-Hunter level 2 - Very hard. Serges's cannons alone are a challenge to figure out, and even then you haven't done anything to Serges himself. After the cannons are dead, you've got to manage your target, the two platforms, and the energy shots he relentlessly throws at you all at the same time.

X-Hunter level 3 - Moderate. After beating Violen and Serges, Agile is a walk in the park.

X-Hunter level 4 - Moderate. Only Flame Stag and Magna Centipede should really give you trouble.

Final stage - Very hard. You've got to beat Zero, Sigma, and CyberSigma all in one life... and Sigma is not as easy this time around, because his sparks hurt you badly. CyberSigma is a cheap motherfucking bitch, and does a good job at getting you hit. Once you damage him to a red color, then watch out for his attempts to envelop you. If you get caught you're going to die if you don't have full health. The good news is that the robots he spits out give items so you can start the fight a little worn down. The bad news is that you still can't afford to trade hits.

Top Bottom