• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Barclay (lead Designer at Naughty Dog) says Star Wars Battlefront III got cancelled "2 yards from the finish line"

Drizzlehell

Banned
The old one? Yeah that's old news. They always say that those canceled games were supposed to be this second coming of Christ for gaming because there's no way anyone will be able to verify it, but then when you go back to actually play those old Battlefront games, turns out that "quaint" is probably the most diplomatic way to describe them. We've already got another Battlefront game that's currently the best one so who cares.

Water under the bridge.

Saber

Gold Member
After the disaster controversy around 2, I would assume they fear even more negativity and Disney punishment from 3. Not to mention the possibility of 3 be even more brain damaging in terms of lootboxes than 2 was.

Drizzlehell

Banned
After the disaster controversy around 2, I would assume they fear even more negativity and Disney punishment from 3. Not to mention the possibility of 3 be even more brain damaging in terms of lootboxes than 2 was.
This is about a sequel to the old Battlefront games from the mid-2000s, not the new one.

Tsaki

Enjoyed a fair share of time doing split screen versus with my family on the PS2. Good times.

Knightime_X

Probably just a quick remaster with a few things remade here and there.
Upgraded but not entirely remade from the ground up.

Similar to the gta definitive editions

kicker

Banned
They always say that those canceled games were supposed to be this second coming of Christ for gaming because there's no way anyone will be able to verify it, but then when you go back to actually play those old Battlefront games, turns out that "quaint" is probably the most diplomatic way to describe them. We've already got another Battlefront game that's currently the best one so who cares.
You must not have been following the development of BF3.

To this day there isn't a single star was game (or any game really) that lets you fight at street level, enter a fighter and have dogfights in the sky, and then fly up into space/low orbit to take over a capital ship by disabling core components bf2 style, amd then crashing said capital ship into the street, all in the same game session.

Based on the footage that's still floating around, they were pretty damn close to finishing.

And the newer Battlefronts are no replacement for the older games. They got the visuals and sounds of star wars perfectly but everything else (number of maps, game modes, map player count, progression system, custom servers, number of playable vehicles, bots, hero character count, modding, etc) was a step down (well, I'm sure they've added way more heroes now compared to launch)

Flabagast

The old one? Yeah that's old news. They always say that those canceled games were supposed to be this second coming of Christ for gaming because there's no way anyone will be able to verify it, but then when you go back to actually play those old Battlefront games, turns out that "quaint" is probably the most diplomatic way to describe them. We've already got another Battlefront game that's currently the best one so who cares.

Water under the bridge.
100% agree.

And who cares about yet again another Star Wars game ? Why don’t devs want to try new IPs for once ?

Drizzlehell

Banned
You must not have been following the development of BF3.

To this day there isn't a single star was game (or any game really) that lets you fight at street level, enter a fighter and have dogfights in the sky, and then fly up into space/low orbit to take over a capital ship by disabling core components bf2 style, amd then crashing said capital ship into the street, all in the same game session.

Based on the footage that's still floating around, they were pretty damn close to finishing.

And the newer Battlefronts are no replacement for the older games. They got the visuals and sounds of star wars perfectly but everything else (number of maps, game modes, map player count, progression system, custom servers, number of playable vehicles, bots, hero character count, modding, etc) was a step down (well, I'm sure they've added way more heroes now compared to launch)
Yeah that does sound cool in writing but when you consider that this was supposed to be mid-2000s tech, then the result suddenly seem far less awesome compared to modern games. I've seen the gameplays from that unreleased game. It looks like shit. And taking off a planet on a spaceship and into space without loading screens is old news now, so I'm not too broken up about this game never coming out.

Now, if they decide to make a completely new Battlefront game on a new engine and with the same ideas, then sure, I'm on board for that. But in the meantime, I'm happy with what we have in DICE's Battlefront II.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
No BF game, old or new, had good gameplay. Gunplay is shit in all of them, as is the vehicle and jedi play.

Maybe it's somewhat excused when your game has a comparatively large scope and runs even on a PSP of all things but it still doesn't deserve the legacy of a great series, ambition is no excuse for lackluster implementation. Maybe 3 would have been good but probably not.

Now, if they decide to make a completely new Battlefront game on a new engine and with the same ideas, then sure, I'm on board for that. But in the meantime, I'm happy with what we have in DICE's Battlefront II.
I think we had more than good enough tech for such gameplay when old-BF released. Maybe they'd change it to be a bit more like UT2004's AS-Mothership or BF2142's (both same era) Titan mode than going from a planet surface to outer space.

Last edited:
OP heroes/villains ruined the series. And last gen people who put SSD's in their systems just sat and waited for them to re-spawn in the waiting pool and just spammed them over and over. Garbage system.

Ogbert

Even if this was many moons ago, I’m intrigued why stuff like this would get cancelled.

You would have thought cynical economics would just demand it be released.

Unless it was a legal dispute.

TheGrat1

100% agree.

And who cares about yet again another Star Wars game ? Why don’t devs want to try new IPs for once ?
Not so much the devs but the publishers but...:
giphy-Apr-05-2022-03-14-22-41-PM.gif

CamHostage

...That's kind of how the carrier worried in Battlefield 1942 worked.

(Also, the PSP version of SW Battlefield 3 did ship, it was called SW BF Elite Squadron, and it had most of the core planned mechanics. It was okay.)

The "Vertical Battlefront" idea in BF3 is neat in theory, but from the videos of the canceled build and the PSP game it confirmed most of the reasons why I would call it a flawed idea that wouldn't add what it sounds like itd do in paper. The middleground is just more of the same and kind of boring, which is often the case with flight games. They're fun when you're near stuff, but flying in the open air is tough to make exciting. Free Radical was going to pump that up with AI opponents and maybe capital ships in atmosphere plus maps with big skyscrapers, but the most compelling gameplay systems were all either in the ground or in the big space battles. (Star Destroyers had defense systems to shoot down and launch bays to breech, for instance, which you could do in the sky but tough to do at scale.) With a planned max of 50 players, BF3 would have had an empty skyspace as players concentrated on the more fun areas.

Flying into the upper atmosphere also revealed how small the ground maps were compared to a planet, and so you could go into the sky but you'd be stuck in this like cylinder of air between the groud map and the open space (which was also naturally limited. ) Everywhere else you would want to fly to or look at was off- limits because the game didn't have that detailed out.

Realistically, the sky was just a slow transition space in BF3, or a second space map. In theory, it sounds like a great and necessary addition, but sometimes a big idea gets in the way of the game's best qualities.

Last edited:

LRKD

This really is old news battlefront 3 leaked, and it turns out they still released it as a psp game anyways. I think it would've been really good and fun, I enjoyed the psp game, although the ai, and controls were definitely weak due to the psps limitations. So a 360 version really could've made it shine. Mentioning it 5 years after the game got leaked is a little late to start talking about it though lol

Top Bottom