• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Andromeda - The future of mobile devices

KevinKeene

Banned
Andromeda: What is it?
Microsoft's Andromeda project is both a software and hardware effort. On the software side, Microsoft is building a new version of Windows 10 that's designed to bring the OS to a new category of mobile devices. This version of Windows 10 is codenamed Andromeda OS, and is part of Microsoft's Windows Core OS effort internally. On the hardware side, Microsoft appears to be building its own Andromeda-based device too.

This is widely expected to be Microsoft "re-entry" into the mobile market. However, rumors suggest Microsoft will not be positioning this device as a smartphone. Instead, Microsoft is going to try and carve out a new, low-volume market for the enterprise, schools, and prosumers/creators. Microsoft did a similar thing with the Surface Studio and original Surface Pro, where it built new device categories for markets that were, at the time, low-volume or non-existent.

According to my sources, Microsoft's own Andromeda device is an ARM-based foldable tablet that features two displays joined together by a hinge mechanism in the center of the device. Its primary input method is touch but will feature pen support for note-taking and inking experiences. I'm told the device will resemble that of a pocket journal, with its foldable form-factor allowing it to be opened and closed like a real notebook and fit in a pocket.

The handset will feature telephony capabilities, meaning you will be able to make calls and send texts using the device. Sources say the device will feature a Snapdragon 845 and likely come in the usual 64GB or 128GB configurations. Because this device is ARM powered, sources say the Andromeda device should last a full day at least on a single charge. That, along with the fact that this device will be running Windows Core OS, means battery life should be very good.

It is likely that Andromeda will end up being released under the Surface moniker, Microsoft's premium line of devices that are designed to showcase the best of Windows 10.

www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-andromeda-everything-we-know-so-far%3famp

Microsoft Andromeda is both a software- and hardware solution.

Since there probably won't be a new Surface Pro anytime soon (and then more incremental improvements), this seems to be the device to be hyped for.

It's basically the fans' darling concept MS Courier made into a real consumer product! Two screens, folding like a book. I'll finally be able to feel like Penny from the Inspector Gadget cartoon.

There's a Microsoft event on May 2nd that could be the reveal of the Microsoft Andromeda device. Could take longer to reveal, though. Still, this project deserves attention. Anyone else looking forward to this?

Microsoft did a similar thing with the Surface Studio and original Surface Pro, where it built new device categories for markets that were, at the time, low-volume or non-existent.

That's a nice revisionist history. Microsoft launched two tablets - Surface Pro for content creators and Surface RT for consumers - RT version failed badly so they quietly dropped it and only continued Pro line.

KevinKeene

Banned
That's a nice revisionist history. Microsoft launched two tablets - Surface Pro for content creators and Surface RT for consumers - RT version failed badly so they quietly dropped it and only continued Pro line.

Well, Microsoft tried some things and saw what sticked. Nothing wrong with that.

TTOOLL

I can see this already...A US-focused device that is expensive and difficult to buy, like the rest of their hardware line. It will be hugely popular!! /s
Meanwhile, Apple easily sells its products pretty much worldwide through its website. Microsoft and Google should learn.

KevinKeene

Banned
I can see this already...A US-focused device that is expensive and difficult to buy, like the rest of their hardware line. It will be hugely popular!! /s
Meanwhile, Apple easily sells its products pretty much worldwide through its website. Microsoft and Google should learn.

I'm using my SP4 just fine here in Germany *shrugs*

TTOOLL

I'm using my SP4 just fine here in Germany *shrugs*

I know, I know! I think it's available in about 25 countries, which is too few imo. My country isn't on that list, of course. I mean, it's fine if that's what they want, but if they wanna release a phone to rival the iPhone...

Shifty

Running an ARM build of Windows 10 with the hugely reduced software library that brings?

I don't see this being a breakout success. Decent maybe, but that's about it.

llien

With Windows Mobile they have promised to provide tools to simplify porting iOS/Android apps, that have never materialized (underestimated complexity is the most likely cause).

And now Andromeda.... Microsoft reminds me this:

LjS1hcH.png

Makariel

I was interested in the MS Surface but I couldn't justify the expense considering how little I use tablets. And for mobile computing I have a laptop from work. Not sure what to expect from Andromeda, since it just looks like a grown up version of the Nintendo DS, minus the Nintendo games.

Melon Husk

Phones, tablets and notebooks merging together...
Phones have gotten so big that people don't miss the larger tablet experience.
Traditional laptops and 2-in-1 hybrids have a clear role as productivity tools, and I don't think a smaller device can replace them. I'm interested, but skeptical in MS's ability to release a product that's not thrown into the niche category. It might take them 4 generations to perfect it, just like the Surface tablets.

MS has to convince people why they would carry this over their phones.

edit:
I was interested in the MS Surface but I couldn't justify the expense considering how little I use tablets. And for mobile computing I have a laptop from work. Not sure what to expect from Andromeda, since it just looks like a grown up version of the Nintendo DS, minus the Nintendo games.
Heh, exclusive deal with Nintendo for remastered DS games would be the killer app.

Last edited:

Blam

With Windows Mobile they have promised to provide tools to simplify porting iOS/Android apps, that have never materialized (underestimated complexity is the most likely cause).

And now Andromeda.... Microsoft reminds me this:

Funny thing is both of those projects worked, the ones that were to make it so you could run the apps natively didn't.

If this becomes a device I'll preorder it if it's got an XL version.

Last edited:
Top Bottom