• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Cloud services demand up 775 percent; prioritization rules in place due to COVID-19

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Microsoft is sharing more guidance around capacity limits it is putting in place for its cloud resources caused by higher-than-usual demand due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Allandor

That "expected" while almost the whole world is in some kind of quarantine.
Google, amazon (AWS), Azure, everything has now much more traffic than they could ever guessed in a short time.
And those are only the big 3.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
If there's one thing that this crisis is doing, is teaching us all just how valuable local hardware is.

The services are still working, but what if they don't? Thankfully I have real consoles and a bunch of physical games as well, just in case.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
This is some crazy stuff. And its pretty telling how complex is the cloud world.
Common sense would be to raise prices, but due to some incredibly complex legislation (specially government) this is at the very least not convenient, and they should act like this.
Interesting times indeed.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Another interesting trend is how some very specific companies seem to get some real big benefits from this COVID crisis. I mean, 775% up on Azure? Microsoft numbers will be crazy this quarter. Another company I know its have incredible sales up during this period is Slack, due to many companies rushing up to setup remote workplaces.

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

Working Remotely is the way things should be nowadays anyway. We have the infrastructure we just needed Covid to force people to use it.
I hope this whole situation helps people realize a lot of things.
Lets trade real world traffic for internet traffic.

ZywyPL

Banned
Working Remotely is the way things should be nowadays anyway. We have the infrastructure we just needed Covid to force people to use it.

Not everyone is a nerd without a life and no friends you know... Working from home is a horror for many normal folks, neither you're at work nor at home, it's like the worst of both worlds. Working with multi-display setup at your office is waaay more enjoyable/productive than from laptop's tiny screen, not to mention you have no one to talk to.

Azurro

Banned

I'm going crazy from working from home and it's only been 2 weeks. I mean, I'm lucky enough to be able to do this in this situation, but still, psychologically it's no walk in the park. I'm going to be really glad to be back in the office once this is all over.

Ryu Kaiba

Not everyone is a nerd without a life and no friends you know... Working from home is a horror for many normal folks, neither you're at work nor at home, it's like the worst of both worlds. Working with multi-display setup at your office is waaay more enjoyable/productive than from laptop's tiny screen, not to mention you have no one to talk to.
Maybe the people you're talking to aren't as interested as they appear to be and have to pretend to be because they're forced to be close proximity to you. 🤷‍♀️

Ryu Kaiba

I'm going crazy from working from home and it's only been 2 weeks. I mean, I'm lucky enough to be able to do this in this situation, but still, psychologically it's no walk in the park. I'm going to be really glad to be back in the office once this is all over.
I'm really surprised I thought this was the dream for most people. You have no commute. no stress of traffic and lines. You can spend more time at home with family or just enjoying your hobbies and things. I suppose it's much harder to meet new people and maybe their are nice resturaunts around the workplace you can't get at home or something.

Azurro

Banned
Maybe the people you're talking to aren't as interested as they appear to be and have to pretend to be because they're forced to be close proximity to you. 🤷‍♀️

You know why it's easier to work in the office? In my case, if I ever need to discuss some issue with another dev, some design, anything, I give a quick glance and if that person is not in a meeting or really busy, I just go and talk. We can have a quick coffee break to discuss other things, we have a blackboard in case the issue that wants to be discussed is complex. Communication is simply better.

Working from home is the worst for this, if you need to communicate with someone, you throw a message into the company's chat app into the void and hope some other teammate notices, and once you are there, you are more limited in how to explain some issue.

I do work from home from time to time, and everyone is different, but for A LOT of people, working from the office is simply better.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
I'm really surprised I thought this was the dream for most people. You have no commute. no stress of traffic and lines. You can spend more time at home with family or just enjoying your hobbies and things. I suppose it's much harder to meet new people and maybe their are nice resturaunts around the workplace you can't get at home or something.

The office is in the city, it's really easy to take the metro or the bus where I live, thankfully I don't need to drive. I am single and while I like my apartment, my social life has been replaced by whatsapp calls. It gets really freaking lonely and boring.

Been working from home since december and I love it. Got about an hour of freetime more, can cook at home, still have my colleagues on webcam. Would assume I always like it because I'm an introvert; I really enjoy having a lot of time to myself.

However I miss meeting people for lunch or going out in the evening. That's I play Crackdown 3 Multiplayer all day with 2 of my mates. That's probably the reason Microsoft sees that demand.

I used to commute two hours a day. Not anymore! I love it.

I could see this actually costing Microsoft money. The usage is probably mostly from gaming during the day, Their expenses just went up 7x, but they priced Xbox Live expecting it to be dead during the days.

Ryu Kaiba

The office is in the city, it's really easy to take the metro or the bus where I live, thankfully I don't need to drive. I am single and while I like my apartment, my social life has been replaced by whatsapp calls. It gets really freaking lonely and boring.
Fair enough. If I were running a business I feel that I would rather have people in the building. I do think people would be more productive that way rather than lollygagging at home doing who knows what. And yes it's nice having a reason to leave home and interact with people face to face sometimes.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Fair enough. If I were running a business I feel that I would rather have people in the building. I do think people would be more productive that way rather than lollygagging at home doing who knows what. And yes it's nice having a reason to leave home and interact with people face to face sometimes.

Face to face contact is almost irreplaceable, but people you trust so little WFH are people you should not employ period. Many people working from home work harder than they do in the office especially open plan offices full of distractions.

ZywyPL

Banned

Depends on the work place I guess, I used to work in a huge corporation with a large open floor with 150 people, from which I didn't like/hated like half of them, and working from home back then was a blessing, but now I work i a small ~20 people company with extremely friendly atmosphere and working from home now is terrible, I miss those guys. And that multi-display setup ;p

nosseman

Top Bottom