• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft cuts Australia and New Zealand Xbox pricing effective 04/10/12

catmincer

(Searched and didn't find anything)

NZ:
The Xbox 360 250GB Kinect bundle has dropped $120 to NZ$479, the 4GB console is now $70 cheaper at NZ$279, and the 4GB console and Kinect sensor bundle is $100 cheaper at NZ$399.

Standalone Kinect sensors have been discounted to NZ$179 from $220.

First-party games such as Gears of War 3, Forza Motorsport 4, and Kinect Sports 2 have also been reduced by up to $20, and official Xbox 360 controllers by $10.

Source: http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/news/1013171.20121003.Microsoft-slashes-Xbox-360-prices/

Australia:

The new prices will be as follows:

250GB Xbox 360 will now be available for A$299 (A$150 price cut)

4GB Xbox 360 will now be available for A$199 (A$50 price cut)

4GB Xbox 360 with Kinect will now be available for A$299 (A$100 price cut)

Kinect Sensor will now be available for A$149 (A$50 price cut)

Limited-edition Xbox 360 consoles will now be available for A$399 (A$50 price cut) - this refers to existing consoles only, and does not include new-release consoles such as the limited-edition Halo 4 Xbox 360.

Microsoft Australia's Christmas line-up includes Halo 4, Forza Horizons, Dance Central 3, Nike + Kinect Training, and Fable The Journey, as well as services like Xbox SmartGlass and Internet Explorer. The publisher also revealed that a new Xbox Live update will be scheduled for later this year

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/xbox-360-getting-a-price-cut-in-australia-6397579

Pooya

maybe they announce a price cut for rest of the PALand too this morning I hope.
Japan had a price cut a couple weeks ago too

NZNova

Thought this was something from April....can the world just agree to use the DD-MMM-YYYY format?

Huh? This thread title is in the day-month-year format. Surely you're not coming into a thread about Australia and New Zealand and complaining we're not using the US date format, are you?

Yagharek

Huh? This thread title is in the day-month-year format. Surely you're not coming into a thread about Australia and New Zealand and complaining we're not using the US date format, are you?

Note he said MMM not MM

Which means he wants Jan/Feb/Mar/Apr etc. Not numbers.

announced on the 4th of October 2012, hence 04/10/2012.

AU Dollar is worth slightly more than the US dollar right now, but 10% GST is also included in those Aussie prices so no extra tax on top.

Somewhat country specific statement there...

Yep. In the US. I'd be very shocked if the next gen MS console did not fit that role perfectly.

They need to step it up for Europe with the services. Problem is, you have a lot of local entertainment license holders to deal with across different countries. Certainly something they should work on.

Let Japan go....

NZNova

Yep. In the US. I'd be very shocked if the next gen MS console did not fit that role perfectly.

They need to step it up for Europe with the services. Problem is, you have a lot of local entertainment license holders to deal with across different countries. Certainly something they should work on.

Let Japan go....

That's fine for the US, and Europe, I guess. In Australia and New Zealand, small download caps pretty much put paid to the idea of digitally delivered entertainment for most people.

tborsje

Xbox Set-top box coming soon.

This thread is about Australia\NZ, the only video service on xbox in Australia has an $80\month subscription on a very long contract.

So no, no one in their right mind is buying an xbox set top box.

That's fine for the US, and Europe, I guess. In Australia and New Zealand, small download caps pretty much put paid to the idea of digitally delivered entertainment for most people.

I know what you are saying, but there really isn't a big issue with small download caps in Australia any more (mobile excluded). People locked into some telstra crud only have themselves to blame, and not like it is cheaper anyway.

Yagharek

I know what you are saying, but there really isn't a big issue with small download caps in Australia any more (mobile excluded).

There's a big issue with lacking content providers via digital means. No netflix, hulu, or any of the services that seem to be all the rage in the USA.

There's a big issue with lacking content providers via digital means. No netflix, hulu, or any of the services that seem to be all the rage in the USA.

For sure. All those GBs and nothing to spend it on. Can always get $50 rentals off PSN or whatever it is...

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
This pleases me greatly. Tired of Aussies getting shafted with prices. Well done, Microsoft.

Rather than just aggressive Christmas pricing, I reckon the recent threat of subpoena from the Aussie government might have something to do with this. There is an on-going parliamentary enquiry around price fixing by tech fims.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/aus...nquiry-subpoenas/story-e6frganx-1226476118630

Microsoft, Sony, Apple, Samsung etc would never react preemptively to something like that. They'd wait until they were forced to. This price drop would have been planned in advance.

Seance

Banned
Awesome, will likely get a slim when/if my xbox dies before the 720 reveal.

Edit: There is a $200 difference between the 4GB and 250GB model? Holy shit.

Rather than just aggressive Christmas pricing, I reckon the recent threat of subpoena from the Aussie government might have something to do with this. There is an on-going parliamentary enquiry around price fixing by tech fims.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/aus...nquiry-subpoenas/story-e6frganx-1226476118630

There has already been an official response to that from all the major companies: LOL. The review found there was no good reason for the over charging, which everybody already knew.

This will just be a competitive response to the performance of the PS3 in Australia. Got to get as many people as they can invested before next gen.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ruthless. Worked in retail in the middle of the city over Christmas, and both PS3s and 360s were flying off shelves.

Top Bottom