• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Now Selling Xbox Controller Replacement Parts

RagnarokIV

If you've ever wanted to replace a thumb stick, faulty trigger, buttons or make a more major repair to one of your Xbox controllers, and happen to be located in North America, the good news is Microsoft is now selling controller parts on its official store.

This allows Xbox users to "extend the lifespan of out-of-warranty Xbox accessories with genuine Microsoft repair parts".

Did anyone know about this? That's pretty cool.

i could do with some new buttons. or maybe i just need to clean it out but i don't know how to open it lol.

also i think my battery port? is fucked because the batteries keep disconnecting. maybe i'm better buying a new controller.

Won't companies that don't want to play ball just design their next product to be a twat to switch parts?
They could and then they'd get fined....or they'd be forced to leave that market.

Apple is being forced to ditch Lightning ports in their iPhones and adopt USB-C. Also in the coming years they will likely be forced to have user swappable batteries. Apple already have been forced to provide tools that help people repair iPhones.... but Apple is still going out their way to be a cunt about it.

If governments can force Apple to play by the rules (somewhat) then I'm sure the rest will fall in line. It'll be easy to get Microsoft/Sony to sell parts for their accessories/consoles.

GHG

Weirdly enough, my Xbox controllers never had any usage issues, either they are super durable, or I don't stress them enough.

Really wish they'd provide a choice for button switches, i hate how noisy the buttons are.

I don't stress mine enough either.

jimmy-butler-smile-cwgyhv3t4vzlcrdj.gif

Jokes aside though, this is great news. All manufacturers need to offer up parts for everything they sell so that people who are out of warranty at least have the option to fix it themselves rather than having to get a new one.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Interesting. I'd almost prefer they just switch to hall effect joysticks. Somebody has to bite the bullet there to get those things into mass production.

I've been lucky so far with all my Xbox pads, in 20 years I've had two with a sticky A button and that's about it.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Selling controller parts is a good start. Maybe they'll start selling replacement internal SSD's, too. Probably not. But hopefully.

Astray

Gold Member
Interesting. I'd almost prefer they just switch to hall effect joysticks. Somebody has to bite the bullet there to get those things into mass production.

I've been lucky so far with all my Xbox pads, in 20 years I've had two with a sticky A button and that's about it.
Hall effect is so smooth, I use a Gulikit controller for my PC and the smoothness of the sticks is unbelievable.

Three

I've never had an issue with getting repair parts for a product that's still in production and readily available. You can usually find second hand broken controllers which are gutted for parts that work for much cheaper too. It's usually when something is no longer made that repairs become difficult. I have a Sony MP-CD1, a laser projector, that I can't rebuy new here due to I think laser regulation laws. I know what the issue is but I can't source the part I need for it anywhere.
Sure of they want to face the wrath of UK, EU, etc etc regulators

Same way phone must have replaceable batteries from 2027
Ironically the battery is what has died on the MP-CD1. I can get to the battery to replace it but the battery isn't sold anywhere. I don't think simply making it replaceable will help achieve what the EU want. The only thing that would help is if the EU standardised a flat pocket battery for the devices of today (phones, handheld consoles, portable projectors, whatever) like we have for cylindrical batteries. Not sure if that would be a good idea though in terms of innovation.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Won't companies that don't want to play ball just design their next product to be a twat to switch parts?

They're already making bank on programmed obsolescence, what makes you think they won't make bank on parts? In fact, the more shitty the product, the more they can upcharge you for exorbitant prices for parts, to the point you'll probably wonder if it's not better to buy the shitty product again.

Governments have no balls for this, they have to yank the leash on these shit practices. Products should last bare minimum 10 years. Anything under that should be complete replacement cost free.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Could you repair a video game controller on your own? Yes! BUT it’s easier to buy a new controller.

Mr Hyde

I'm tempted to buy the Dualsense edge just because you can swap out the sticks, it's a great feature, but it's also pretty shit of Sony to not fix their controllers being more durable. Instead they are charging premium prices with the expectation that the sticks will someday get drift, and then charge you 20 bucks for an extra stick module. Pretty scummy. But the Edge controller do look nice and has a lot of great features, so I'm pretty torn.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I'm tempted to buy the Dualsense edge just because you can swap out the sticks, it's a great feature, but it's also pretty shit of Sony to not fix their controllers being more durable. Instead they are charging premium prices with the expectation that the sticks will someday get drift, and then charge you 20 bucks for an extra stick module. Pretty scummy. But the Edge controller do look nice and has a lot of great features, so I'm pretty torn.
I'm getting one for my birthday next month. I want the back buttons so i can disable the horrible r3 and l3 stick clicks. I always press them by accident. I have an elite for the xbox for the same purpose.

Mr Hyde

I'm getting one for my birthday next month. I want the back buttons so i can disable the horrible r3 and l3 stick clicks. I always press them by accident. I have an elite for the xbox for the same purpose.

Yeah, back buttons are great (and the full button mapping customization). But that price! Oof size so large my wallet cries in despair. Gonna hold out for a possible Black friday sale.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Could you repair a video game controller on your own? Yes! BUT it’s easier to buy a new controller.

uh, no.

I had the analog stick on my dualshock fixed for $5 a few years back, it was a lot better than buying a whole new controller for $60.

poodaddy

My Xbox One Scorpio edition controller is completely fucked, so I have a question. Are these parts just for Series controllers, or are they applicable to the One versions as well? It really bummed me out as this controller was babied and it's something of a collector's edition, so I'd love to repair it if I can.

hlm666

I hope this leads to 3rd party buttons from sanwa or at least some good quality ones that feel good to use. Also dpad replacements that are responsive and actually usable in platform and fighting games. Modern controllers are so cheap and shit.

acm2000

I've never had an issue with getting repair parts for a product that's still in production and readily available. You can usually find second hand broken controllers which are gutted for parts that work for much cheaper too. It's usually when something is no longer made that repairs become difficult. I have a Sony MP-CD1, a laser projector, that I can't rebuy new here due to I think laser regulation laws. I know what the issue is but I can't source the part I need for it anywhere.

Ironically the battery is what has died on the MP-CD1. I can get to the battery to replace it but the battery isn't sold anywhere. I don't think simply making it replaceable will help achieve what the EU want. The only thing that would help is if the EU standardised a flat pocket battery for the devices of today (phones, handheld consoles, portable projectors, whatever) like we have for cylindrical batteries. Not sure if that would be a good idea though in terms of innovation.
Spares have to be available for 5 to 10 years depending on the product

Top Bottom