• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Midway evaluating MK: Shaolin Monks for PSP

raYne

I know they're evaluating, but they should probably wait to see the console sales before this thought was even tossed around.

I can't even begin to imagine what the extra content would be. If they wanted "good" extra content it'd make sense to have another playable character as that seems to be the trend in multiplatform console to PSP games. But there's no one else in the MK universe that fits the bill.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
raYne said:
I know they're evaluating, but they should probably wait to see the console sales before this thought was even tossed around.

I can't even begin to imagine what the extra content would be. If they wanted "good" extra content it'd make sense to have another playable character as that seems to be the trend in multiplatform console to PSP games. But there's no one else in the MK universe that fits the bill.

Yeah the two characters chosen are really the only ones that fight the storyline they are pursuing with a game called "Shaolin Monks" the only thing I could think of would be additional levels that perhaps address another piece of the MK story?

I for one hope the console version sells well(that is if it turns out to be as fun as the previews seem to indicate).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The console demo was shockingly fun, but I noticed that there was a load point between EVERY "room/area". I'm sure this format would remain the same on PSP and would take quite a bit longer as well. Could be a problem...

Matlock

Banned
dark10x said:
The console demo was shockingly fun, but I noticed that there was a load point between EVERY "room/area". I'm sure this format would remain the same on PSP and would take quite a bit longer as well. Could be a problem...

Much like Metal Gear, RE, et al. Seems common with prerendered environments. :p

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
dark10x said:

I don't know... load times while annoying haven't seem to been pinpointed as hurting any particular titles sales... I thought I recalled that even with it's ridiculous load times MC3 did well on the PSP... but I could be wrong...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Matlock said:
Much like Metal Gear, RE, et al. Seems common with prerendered environments. :p
Wasn't a problem with MGS and RE4 simply because each area felt like a self-contained scenario. Also, the loading was faster in those games AND handled in a polished fashion.

Kinda like Conker on XBOX, they throw up an actual load screen with a bar and everything in the demo. They don't transition well between areas, basically. Also, as a brawler, loading breaks like this usually don't mix well. Spikeout on XBOX handled them better, but they were still WAYYYY too long. Just kills the pacing. Also, the rooms were quite small.

If they could shorten the loads a bit, they should just do something along the lines of...

Exit area and use a post filter blur to slowly engulf the screen (same effect as RE4, but at a slower rate). Then cross-fade that blurry image into the next scene. During this, they could either keep the music playing or fade it out along with the screen. You'd still be waiting, but it would FEEL so much more "complete". That's something a lot of developers just don't seem to get.

Top Bottom