• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Moore's Law Is Dead: Ampere Quadro and Ampere Titan Sku

BluRayHiDef

Banned
According to Tom, creator and host of YouTube Channel Moore's Law Is Dead, Nvidia is planning to release Ampere professional graphics cards: the Quadro 6000 Series and an Ampere Sku that will actually be named "Titan." To be specific, Tom purports the following:

1. The Quadro 6000 Series will have approximately 2% more shader processors than the RTX 3090 and will be comprised of models that have up to 48GB of GDDR6 rather than GDDR6X since the latter is experimental and doesn't yet support Error Correcting Code (ECC), which is a necessity in professional graphics rendering. Tom provides photos of what is supposedly a Quadro 6000 Series card.

2. Nvidia has a contingency plan to release a proper Ampere Titan to combat a potential "Biggest Navi" Sku that would have High Bandwidth Memory.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Do people ever use GPUs in the Quadro line to to play video games? I remember reading that there aren’t drivers that make these cards reflect their true capacity, which makes me feel that all of the coverage they get by the enthusiast gaming market is overblown.

skneogaf

The one thing that is stopping me from buying a new 3000 series gpu is the fact that better versions will be released in a matter of months or even weeks.

At least with a console you get a few years.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Yeah Moore law is dead thread, no thanks.

Do people ever use GPUs in the Quadro line to to play video games? I remember reading that there aren’t drivers that make these cards reflect their true capacity, which makes me feel that all of the coverage they get by the enthusiast gaming market is overblown.
That is true, that's why, back then I opted for RTX Titan rather then Quadro. I wanted to have bigger models for neural networks, but still wanted to game. Some games does even launch on Quadro, I have it borrowed.

Dampf

Yeah he was saying "up to 4x ray tracing performance"

He said he "double checked it" but yeah he was wrong.

He also said Minecraft RTX runs 4-5x faster on Ampere than Turing!

"RTX on shouldn't lower performance much anymore"

Man, that is so illogical, why did anyone believe that in the first place? It's like saying screen space reflections will not lower performance anymore.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
The one thing that is stopping me from buying a new 3000 series gpu is the fact that better versions will be released in a matter of months or even weeks.

Better versions of the 3070 and 3080, meaning a 3070 with 16GB and a 3080 with 20GB. However, I don't expect a better version of the 3090, because it already has a buttload of memory and consumes a whopping 350 watts of power.

supernova8

Banned
He also said Minecraft RTX runs 4-5x faster on Ampere than Turing!

"RTX on shouldn't lower performance much anymore"

Man, that is so illogical, why did anyone believe that in the first place? It's like saying screen space reflections will not lower performance anymore.

I don't think he lied, perhaps he just believed someone who was lying.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
they've basically just branded the "3080 Ti" as a 3090. it's "only" £300 more than what the 2080 Ti cost. can't have a 3080 at £650 and a 3080 Ti at £1,400. so there will be a 3080 Ti at some point at £900-1,100.

i know they marketed it as a Titan gaming card but you know what else would've been a Titan gaming card? a 3080 Ti. that's just an excuse to give it the 3090 name and make it seem like good value because "you're basically getting a Titan" for just £1,400! the RTX Titan was £2,500...what a deal! /s

we'll get a proper "RTX Titan II" at ~£2,000-2,500 and then the Quadro above that.

i don't think we'll be getting anything better than a 3090 aimed at gaming. between the new RTX Titan and 3090 I don't think there is enough space for a 3090 Ti.

but sure if you get a 3070 or 3080 you can bet that there will be a 3070/3080 Super at some point. that's been the case for GPUs for years so not surprising.

supernova8

Banned

If you're worried then maybe you should wait for a few months. If Big Navi is really good as everyone seems to think, they'll force NVIDIA's hand pretty quick.

Usually NVIDIA launches the better versions of their existing lineup about 12 months after the initial launch, but now that AMD is probably coming out with actual competition at the same time, perhaps 4-6 months? They have to strike a balance between smashing AMD but not pissing off their early adopters.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Better versions of the 3070 and 3080, meaning a 3070 with 16GB and a 3080 with 20GB. However, I don't expect a better version of the 3090, because it already has a buttload of memory and consumes a whopping 350 watts of power.
wouldn't a "3090 Ti" with more VRAM need to have 30GB or 36GB?

i seriously doubt we'll get a better gaming card than a 3090. doesn't seem like there's much space between a 3090 + RTX Titan II if the Quadro only has 2% more shader processors. the only thing they could really offer is the extra VRAM but 24GB is already overkill for gaming.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
wouldn't a "3090 Ti" with more VRAM need to have 30GB or 36GB?

i seriously doubt we'll get a better gaming card than a 3090. doesn't seem like there's much space between a 3090 + RTX Titan II if the Quadro only has 2% more shader processors. the only thing they could really offer is the extra VRAM but 24GB is already overkill for gaming.
Agreed. I think that the 3090 is the best SKU that Nvidia could get out of the main Ampere chip in terms of performance and power draw. They'd have to execute a die shrink to produce something better and that won't happen for quite some time.

skneogaf

It's definitely the best thing to wait for a 2080ti owner to wait for the 3080ti in my opinion as gas been mentioned AMD may just speed up nvidia to release it.

thelastword

Banned
I guess it's time to mortgage the house. I'll have to ask Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes how he likes living in a box.

At least I'll have a massive epeen if I buy this.
You would have a dainty rig with a 9900 i9 and a 48GB Nvidia GPU, but if you are living out of a box. I wonder how you would get electricity to power that beast and what your neighbors would think of your priorities....Though I think with living in boxes your neighbors will keep on changing...as you wonder to and fro for the next best spot against the elements....

Xyphie

A full 84SM GA102 Quadro with 48GB is basically self-evident. GDDR6 instead of GDDR6X is mainly because GDDR6X only comes in 8Gbit modules, so you'd need 48 chips to get 48GB and match RTX 8000 and that's just not feasible.

Everything original he says is retarded and almost certainly wrong like always.

Last edited:

Senua

Gold Member
If this guy is wrong so much, how does he get so many views and keep getting posted on sites like this? Genuine question.

Zathalus

If this guy is wrong so much, how does he get so many views and keep getting posted on sites like this? Genuine question.
People don't know any better? His Ampere leak got basically everything wrong, bar the fact that it would be PCIE 4. Which was obvious.

Top Bottom