• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More IGN love for GAF (sorry if old)

(Sorry if old, I know the story is old.)

Australia, January 15, 2007 - According to an interview in Game Informer magazine, Valve co-founder Gabe Newell has a few bitter words to share on the PlayStation 3. He doesn't pull his punches, calling the system a 'total disaster'.

The quote, sourced from the NeoGAF forums, must be a bitter pill for Sony to swallow, considering the prominence of the source from which it came. Newell is unquestionably a heavyweight in the industry - and another high profile name added to a list of developers voicing dissent against Sony's console.

According to Newell, "The PS3 is a total disaster on so many levels, I think It's really clear that Sony lost track of what customers and what developers wanted. I'd say, even at this late date, they should just cancel it and do a "do over". Just say, "This was a horrible disaster and we're sorry and we're going to stop selling this and stop trying to convince people to develop for it". The happy story is the Wii. I'm betting that by Christmas of next year, Nintendo Wii has a larger installed base than the 360. Other people think I'm crazy. I really like everything that Nintendo is doing."

Them's fightin' words, we think.

Link

I really don't see what's new about this. Yeah, he just said that, but that's what he's been saying for a while now. As I recall, he took issue with having to take time away from content development in order to get the tech working, and that the multi-core architecture is the wrong way to go. I see where he's coming from and from his position the criticism is probably warranted. On the other hand, developers are already getting great results from the PS3, so I assume there's going to be a rift between traditional PS developers and other tech houses that are used to bleed in order to get great results from the hardware, and just about everyone else. Nothing new here, and as said, his criticism is probably well founded. But looking at what Insomniac has already achieved and at launch no less, the complaints do come through as a little bit hollow, at least if viewed as supposedly indicative of PS3 development as a whole.

Mojovonio

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
I'm sure a hell of a lot of info is posted on GAF before news reporters for the major sites read it.

But the problem that comes with it is the accuracy of the forum post.

Shit, we should make up fake Press Releases every week just to shift the balance of power more towards us!

OokieSpookie said:
(Sorry if old, I know the story is old.)

Australia, January 15, 2007 - According to an interview in Game Informer magazine, Valve co-founder Gabe Newell has a few bitter words to share on the PlayStation 3. He doesn't pull his punches, calling the system a 'total disaster'.

The quote, sourced from the NeoGAF forums, must be a bitter pill for Sony to swallow, considering the prominence of the source from which it came. Newell is unquestionably a heavyweight in the industry - and another high profile name added to a list of developers voicing dissent against Sony's console.

That was a bit unnecessary IGN.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
As if Valve are going to translate any of this into software support for Wii or not porting some of their PC work to PS3/X360

mamacint said:
That was a bit unnecessary IGN.

:lol

Firestorm

Fuzzy said:
They're just trying to piss off 1up.

Who can post more GAF news? IGN or 1UP? Find out next time on Dragonball Z!

To make it clear, I'm not whining. It's nice that they're actually sourcing it instead of stealing it and pretending they found it elsewhere. GAF is one of those forums you can source without feeling like you're sourcing a random post from a random site.

Why would IGN run this story before confirming it? They have the ability to contact Gabe and see if this is really in the article or not. Or they could contact Game Informer themselves instead of sourcing a messageboard

Automatically amazing.

Anyway, was this comment ever actually verified? We've got so many people claiming it's fact and I've seen no evidence of it. I actually agree with Newell and I don't personally like the PS3 a whole lot, but I'm skeptical as to whether he actually said that. No way he wants to burn so many bridges so fast.

Top Bottom