• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More on Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Phantom Blood for PS2

TreIII

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dG7O1IM55fY&mode=related&search=

Some kind soul has uploaded the TGS promo vid of the game. For a Jojo fan like myself, this is looking to be pleasure overload...

For those who have no idea what's up...this here game is actually based off of the first "Story Arc" of the 25 year old manga, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. "Mr. WRRYYY", Dio Brando, is present and accounted for, but there's not a Stand or Steam Roller in sight (that doesn't come til part 3, and Jotaro Kujo is the star). Nope, this goes back to a simpler time, Victorian England, where Dio Brando turns the first Jojo(Jonathan Joestar)'s normal, aristocratic life upside down when Dio is adopted as a step-brother by Jojo's father, and soon makes strides to make his life a living hell in various ways. For instance, Dio personally made sure Jojo's pet dog is killed by making certain the dog is knocked unconcious, and tossed into a pile of refuse in a box; allowing it to be mistakenly taken in an unwitting furnace worker...which then burns the poor thing alive. And all of this bastardly stuff occurred before Dio even got wryyyy-tastic powers by turning into a vampire, and plotting world domination...

So then, lots of crap hits the fan after Dio says good-bye to humanity and becomes a vampire. Jojo eventually loses practically everything else important to him in the process...so what's a guy to do? He trains up under a cool dude name Zeppeli (musical references are abound in the Jojo-verse), who teaches him about the Hamon/Ripple, an energy that allows humans to be able to fight vampires and other undead nasties by utilizing the sun's energy in their attacks...and thus...for Dio and Jojo, it's on...

As for this game? Well, it looks to be like quite a stylish, fun brawler, which seems to have a good number of characters from the first arc as playable characters, including Dio himself. What also seems to be a part of the game is how you'll often have to pose (in the ever bizarre, yet stylish, Jojo way) in order to get power-up buffs like speed increases, strength enhancing, and etc.

After having a lot of fun with God Hand, it's only ressurected that part of my that loves nothing more than to pop a good beat 'em up game in my console and whup ass until I save the day or get my ass handed to me by a tough boss. Needless to say, this game shall be mine for the importing come October 26th or earlier. :D

Also, if it means any thing to you guys, there will also be an OVA movie of the first Jojo series that will air sometime around January, last I heard. This, the game, and possibly even the multiple Jojo-luvvin in Jump Ultimate Starts are all part of heralding the 25th anniversary of the series, after all...

Ill Saint

Still sore that the previous JoJo PS2 game was cancelled for PAL release... this one looks like a lot of fun (and will probably never see the light of day in PAL land, either).

Junpei Heat

WRRRYYYYYYY!! this game looks nice

it would be awesome if they could do something with Steel Ball Run besides JSS

Thanks for the info..and it reminds me that I have the entire US release of the animated series sitting on my shelf. I picked it up the last two volumes at the Anime Central con in Chicago this spring and I've been so busy I have yet to check them out. Talk about a backlog.....:lol

I loved the 2D fighting game (in arcade and on DC), there was another PS2 game that was in devleopment based on a future joJo series (if I recall), but I'm behind on all JoJo gaming projects.

Again thanks for the info!

TreIII

You're welcome. :)

On another note, the website itself updated with a few new commercials (as well as the TGS vid being in a much higher quality). The live-action commercials which involve a lil girl playing what seems to be a JP-version of "Red light, green light", where the people had to do "Jojo poses" made my day. :D

http://www.bandaigames.channel.or.jp/list/ps2_jojo/special/index.html

The more I see, the more I definitely like...though I'm left wondering if Namco commissioned some Tales Studio or Tekken development members in order to make this game's battle engine. Otherwise, I'm completely at odds to think of who else among Namco-Bandai's brass they could commission to make a solid game engine for a beat 'em up.

But any way, hope you guys enjoy!

Junpei Heat said:
it would be awesome if they could do something with Steel Ball Run besides JSS

I definitely do have love for Steel Ball Run too, and I would like to see what they could do with that in the future; possibly a bonafide fighter, maybe?. But for now...I'd be simply happy if games based off Series 2 (Young Joseph), Series 4 (Josuke) and/or Series 6 (Jolyne) got their own games too.

I'm totally in love with Series 3 but I would take something with Joseph any day. This sounds nice, especially the posing. Not too much of a fan of the later series though. Maybe I need an excellent fighting game to get me interested to begin with...

TreIII

SiegfriedFM said:
I'm totally in love with Series 3 but I would take something with Joseph any day. This sounds nice, especially the posing.

Glad to see another interested party...

But I gotta be honest with ya, just in case you missed the detail: this game stars Jonathan (the first JoJo, and Joseph's grandpa), NOT Joseph. Though with the way that this game is kicking the whole posing thing to "OVERDRIVE!", I guess they're more or less blending Jonathan and Joseph together, in a way...

Shapermc

The second story arc of JoJo is by far my favorite of the ones that I have read (I only made it through most of the fifth story arc). I am really happy that this game is being made. It is making my wallet hurt through. As unfortunate as it is I will probably have to wait for the game to come down in price quite a bit. I really enjoyed the GioGio game, but I didn't know the whole story when I got to play it, so seeing some of the stuff at the end was really confusing.

Anyways, aside from bad sound and video quality, this is looking quite good!

Top Bottom