• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies / TV Shows that are currently impossible to stream.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
It's bull shit that in 2022 (nearly 2023), that we still can't access in some fashion certain movies and TV shows. Last week I tried to watch Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence, a World War 2 movie staring Beat Takeshi, Ryuuichi Sakamoto, David Bowie and Tom Conti. I had to resort to pirated streams in order to watch it because it's apparently not availble to stream (or least not very easily or in my region).

The movie is a BAFTA award winning classic, and a beautiful film about the forgiveness. And I had to dig through filfthy sites to find it.

What are some other shows / movies that should be easily accessible.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Your ma's home movies I utterly hate the fact that everyone and there dog has gotten into streaming and thus fragmenting the entire thing, who the fuck seriously is gonna have Netflix, apple, Disney, prime, HBO, Paramount etc etc, it's thrown me back into the loving hands of Kodi because of the greed of American corporations and now I get everything in one handy consistent interface, like we used to with Netflix before everyone wanted a slice of the pie

Jaybe

This episode is not on Disney+
boxTrFK.jpg

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Your ma's home movies I utterly hate the fact that everyone and there dog has gotten into streaming and thus fragmenting the entire thing, who the fuck seriously is gonna have Netflix, apple, Disney, prime, HBO, Paramount etc etc, it's thrown me back into the loving hands of Kodi because of the greed of American corporations and now I get everything in one handy consistent interface, like we used to with Netflix before everyone wanted a slice of the pie
"I did it because OTHERS are greedy" screams man not paying for things.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Great show during the 90s. It parodied the big surge in Jerry Springer and Jenny Jones shows.

It was on during a shit time slot like Saturdays at midnight or 1 am.
images

All the Studio Ghibli movies. They are not available on any streaming service. And the physical media still sells at a premium.

Edit it seems outside the US and Japan they are available on Netflix.

In the US they were on HBO Max at some point. Not sure if still are

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I’m in the Netherlands. I’ve got tons of streaming options, but none of them make their back catalog available for streaming. All those services (Netflix, Disney, HBO Max, SkyShowtime, Apple, Amazon, etc) primarily provide access to recent movies and tv shows, the more you go back in time, the number of available titles dries up fast. If you want to see movie classics by all the great directors here you’d either have to buy them on bluray or pirate them. We don’t have something like a Criterion channel.

It's bull shit that in 2022 (nearly 2023), that we still can't access in some fashion certain movies and TV shows. Last week I tried to watch Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence, a World War 2 movie staring Beat Takeshi, Ryuuichi Sakamoto, David Bowie and Tom Conti. I had to resort to pirated streams in order to watch it because it's apparently not availble to stream (or least not very easily or in my region).

The movie is a BAFTA award winning classic, and a beautiful film about the forgiveness. And I had to dig through filfthy sites to find it.

What are some other shows / movies that should be easily accessible.

I know it might not help in your region. But Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence is on Amazon Prime in Japan. I saw it recently.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
It's pretty bleak. Obviously you need to be in the right mood for this kind of movie.

But the performances are worth watching and the score by Ryuichi Sakamoto is iconic.
Yeah that main theme is beautiful. I love the final scene between Lawrence and Hara was beautiful. You don't get to see this sort of reconciliation scene in movies too much these days.

Both actors nailed it

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
"I did it because OTHERS are greedy" screams man not paying for things.
I was happy paying a sub for Netflix & Prime as the convenience/cost was at a sweetspot but now that every corp under the sun wants their own streaming network they've obviously pulled everything from Netflix and now convenience is out the window due to multiple apps/user interfaces and cost? Well that took a nosedive so now we're back to where other avenues are more appealing, I have a limit on what I'm prepared to spend in order to watch shit and in typical did not see that coming American corporate greed, they can go and fuck

xrnzaaas

I remember Supernatural always being impossible to find in my local streaming services and also from what I heard they butchered the early seasons by removing a lot of the licensed music (seasons 1-3 relied heavily on classic rock).

I'd also love to rewatch shows like Third Watch, Las Vegas (the one with Josh Duhamel) or Tales from the Crypt, but they don't seem to be available anywhere.

tommib

It’a harder and harder to find anything black and white in streaming services. When Netflix became a thing you could find some Orson Welles in there but it has since then completely deteriorated. MUBI is the only thing remotely good for classics in Europe.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
It's kinda crazy how Netflix's library has so few old films

movies-by-decade-netflix.png
It’s almost like using a service which shows the latest films etc people don’t like or want to watch old movies. Or something.

Last edited:
All the Studio Ghibli movies. They are not available on any streaming service. And the physical media still sells at a premium.

I'm in the UK. just checked and i can watch Kiki, spirited away, totoro, mononoke on Netflix. there are some more movies coming up but i'm not a big ghibli fan (i like the movies) and don't know them all.

here's what i see when i search ghibli

AuZUSsh.jpg

Some TV shows that come to mind.

Ed TV series.

I believe due to music issues not all seasons of heart of Dixie and iZombie are available anymore.

A lot of older titles are missing. Pre-HD era. PCU is another that comes to mind.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Dragon ball z was tough to stream should be easy, I know better than anybody the streaming situation is fluky.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Dogma.

You can't even own it digitally.

This won't be changing any time soon either as Harvey Weinstein owns the rights to it and refuses to give it up unless it's for an unreasonable amount of money.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby

You can buy and view 99% of films digitally on one platform. I own a bunch on iTunes.

You can also still buy nearly everything on disc as well.

Ya'll like to use any excuse you can to steal, but there's no actual moral justification for it.

Last edited:

nocsi

HBO Max still has the rights to Ghibli Studio

DKehoe

It’s almost like using a service which shows the latest films etc people don’t like or want to watch old movies. Or something.
Netflix partly sells itself on the idea of having this huge varied catalogue of films available. But when you scratch the surface it’s really not that deep and has only become more and more limited.

But yeh, audiences have become a lot more limited in their tastes. So that has been a factor.

Quasicat

Dogma.

This won't be changing any time soon either as Harvey Weinstein owns the rights to it and refuses to give it up unless it's for an unreasonable amount of money.
It’s available on Youtube but that’s far from an official release.

As for me, I would love to see The Adventures of Ford Fairlane again but it’s getting up there in price on DVD…and there’s no way that movie is ever coming back out with thing the way they are right now.

nush

Dogma.

You can buy and view 99% of films digitally on one platform. I own a bunch on iTunes.

Ya'll like to use any excuse you can to steal, but there's no actual moral justification for it.

I keep thinking but I own all the Kevin Smith movies digitally. Then I remember that over ten years ago I ripped all my discs and added them to iTunes myself.

Buy disc, Ripp disc, problem solved.

Streaming is a cuck move. You are at the total behest of a company that cares nothing for you. And just wait until they start editing problematic content. Own your own stuff. Be a man.

Last edited:

Tams

9.99 a month and my morals are all yours.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I'm in the UK. just checked and i can watch Kiki, spirited away, totoro, mononoke on Netflix. there are some more movies coming up but i'm not a big ghibli fan (i like the movies) and don't know them all.

here's what i see when i search ghibli

AuZUSsh.jpg
All on hbo max in the us.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Streaming is a cuck move. You are at the total behest of a company that cares nothing for you. And just wait until they start editing problematic content. Own your own stuff. Be a man.
Ok send me a link to Bakersfield PD on DVD. Millennium is $300 for DVD, Quincy ME $200.

Last edited:

YCoCg

In the UK, despite Funimation and Crunchyroll being available it's impossible to stream any dub of Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT and Dragon Ball Super. For some reason over here it's a rights nightmare, you can watch the Super movies on Netflix but only as subbed and you can watch all of DB Super on Crunchyroll, but again, only as subbed.

Considering Sony bought out MANGA UK (who did hold the rights), they've done nothing with it and now the dubbed stuff is long out of print meaning if you want to watch any Dragon Ball content dubbed you have to track down the DVD/Blu-ray's or pirate it!

Winter John

Gold Member
Northern Exposure. I really wanted to watch that show again but then found out the only way to see it is buying a ridiculously overpriced box set or, you know. I would buy a digital version but I can't so what the fuck.

jakinov

It's more so everyone is adapting to the changing times than it is about everyone wanting a slice of the pie. Everyone was in some way a direct to consumer distributor. Netflix had multi-billion dollar DVD mailing service, Apple & Amazon had multi-billion dollar digital distribution busineses, Peacock, Paramount & Warner Bros are self-explanatory. Nobody wants to just let their business die instead of adapting while the ones who also create content who rely on sister companies to order their shows consisntetly aren't going to want to be in a posirion where they hope Netflix chooses to order new shows.

The problem with Netflix being the one stop shop is that their model does not support unlimited content in the same way that YouTube or Spotify does and that's mainly because TV/movies is really expensive and so unless you have advertisers greatly footing the bill, you are going to have to pay for one realy expensive streaming service with Netflix. Netflix never had everything, if you combine the library count of every service it's multiple time larger than netflix ever was. Even if they used to have more that was from a time when Netflix was anciliary revenue for content owners/creators. If digital is declming, liknear TV, is declining ondemand/ppv is declining , theater declning, retail is declining, then it's on track to become the sole/primary revenue.

Lets say you are fine with a really expensive single streaming service, do you really want one company to have a monpoly? One company that decides what shows get to live what third party company gets to eat? What if they stop ordering shows from third-parties because vertical integration is way more econmical? What if they pass on a realy good idea that never gets made? You know that right now many super popular shows have been rejected by competition. Monopolies are almost always convinent. If Amazon was the only online site ever that'd be convinent, if you could get everything at Walmart retail store that'd be convinent too, if everyone just made games and played on PlayStation things would be convinent. But we don't want a company to have so much power because it lets them take advantage and competition leads to a lot of innovation and motivation for better things. Look at the TV industry right now where we have these companies spending more than ever trying to create the next big show(s). Yes it's inconivnet to have multiple UIs but I'd take some strong competition motivated to create great content over a unified UI

Tams

It's more so everyone is adapting to the changing times than it is about everyone wanting a slice of the pie. Everyone was in some way a direct to consumer distributor. Netflix had multi-billion dollar DVD mailing service, Apple & Amazon had multi-billion dollar digital distribution busineses, Peacock, Paramount & Warner Bros are self-explanatory. Nobody wants to just let their business die instead of adapting while the ones who also create content who rely on sister companies to order their shows consisntetly aren't going to want to be in a posirion where they hope Netflix chooses to order new shows.

The problem with Netflix being the one stop shop is that their model does not support unlimited content in the same way that YouTube or Spotify does and that's mainly because TV/movies is really expensive and so unless you have advertisers greatly footing the bill, you are going to have to pay for one realy expensive streaming service with Netflix. Netflix never had everything, if you combine the library count of every service it's multiple time larger than netflix ever was. Even if they used to have more that was from a time when Netflix was anciliary revenue for content owners/creators. If digital is declming, liknear TV, is declining ondemand/ppv is declining , theater declning, retail is declining, then it's on track to become the sole/primary revenue.

Lets say you are fine with a really expensive single streaming service, do you really want one company to have a monpoly? One company that decides what shows get to live what third party company gets to eat? What if they stop ordering shows from third-parties because vertical integration is way more econmical? What if they pass on a realy good idea that never gets made? You know that right now many super popular shows have been rejected by competition. Monopolies are almost always convinent. If Amazon was the only online site ever that'd be convinent, if you could get everything at Walmart retail store that'd be convinent too, if everyone just made games and played on PlayStation things would be convinent. But we don't want a company to have so much power because it lets them take advantage and competition leads to a lot of innovation and motivation for better things. Look at the TV industry right now where we have these companies spending more than ever trying to create the next big show(s). Yes it's inconivnet to have multiple UIs but I'd take some strong competition motivated to create great content over a unified UI

So much this. Anyone who thinks that there should be only one service is at best deeply naïve. This stuff isn't free to make. And even for music it's been and is troublesome with many artists simply not making enough.

The old TV model worked. It would be nice to see more services that offered at least FullHD with adverts like TV, so every 15-20 minutes/2-3 times a show. Channel 4 in the UK have done this for years now, and their janky webplayer aside, it has worked and is still going.

Amazon do offer other services over Prime Video and it seems to work well enough. And there have been attempts in the UK at least (often by long-existing TV companies) to offer a unified UI. Previously it was SeeSaw and BritBox is still going.

All are hampered greatly by who has the rights to what, where though. Apparently Japanese companies are among the worst when it comes to flexibility in that regard.

Top Bottom