• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS expanded to 11 new Latin America countries, leading to a 7% increase PC Gamepass, Brazil is the second-biggest PC GP market

gokurho

Microsoft earlier this year expanded its Game Pass subscription service for players on personal computers to 11 new Latin American countries, leading to a 7% increase in customers. Peru and Costa Rica are the standouts in terms of customer interest, accounting for almost half of new signups, Spencer said. Globally Brazil is the second-biggest market for the PC Game Pass. "In many ways Brazil leads a lot of the trends that we see globally," Spencer said.
This is "engagement" 👩‍❤️‍💋‍👨 💍👩‍❤️‍💋‍👩

Guilty_AI

041e4f5fac5f773f1e1e85e64df86218910f6322af6b0b6bd1b2248128e12f9c_1.jpg

Meaningless info. 7% increase over what? How do you even ground these percentages? It could be a 7% increase over 100 subscribers. Not really great in absolute terms.

Same with stating Brazil's their 2nd biggest PC Game Pass market. 2nd biggest out of what number? They haven't provided any. There are no splits between console and PC sub numbers. I will never understand why Microsoft are so afraid of providing better transparency for what's supposed to be a core part of their gaming strategy going forward.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Didn’t Brazil just take on the US dollar as their main currency?

I mean it’s no Spain .. am I right ?

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Meaningless info. 7% increase over what? How do you even ground these percentages? It could be a 7% increase over 100 subscribers. Not really great in absolute terms.

Same with stating Brazil's their 2nd biggest PC Game Pass market. 2nd biggest out of what number? They haven't provided any. There are no splits between console and PC sub numbers. I will never understand why Microsoft are so afraid of providing better transparency for what's supposed to be a core part of their gaming strategy going forward.
😂 Don't take this away from them. They Increased! By 7%!

Hudo

Brazil could be huge if they price it right, considering that consoles and normal game prices seem to be totally fucked over there (stay strong Brazilbros)

Ozriel

M$FT

How the hell could it be an increase over a small number when it wasn’t launched in those countries earlier?
Seems to be clearly talking about GP subscribers overall…and that’s certainly not a small starting point.

Same with stating Brazil's their 2nd biggest PC Game Pass market. 2nd biggest out of what number?

You don’t need underlying numbers to understand ranking 😂

Brazil could be huge if they price it right, considering that consoles and normal game prices seem to be totally fucked over there (stay strong Brazilbros)
How the hell could it be an increase over a small number when it wasn’t launched in those countries earlier?
Seems to be clearly talking about GP subscribers overall…and that’s certainly not a small starting point.

The number's been stagnant for two years now though. So if they're launching in new markets, claiming this big growth, but we aren't getting total subscriber increases (outside of when they folded XBL into Game Pass Core), then it either means:

1: New subs aren't offsetting the declines from churn, or

2: Somehow these numbers are just referring to influxes from converting Xbox Live subs to Game Pass Core.

But '2' probably wouldn't be the case because Core IIRC is just for the console, because the only people I'd imagine who had Gold subs were those on console. So it's either '1', or maybe MS do things differently for places like Brazil.

You don’t need underlying numbers to understand ranking 😂

Well they give us percentages which are numbers, but aren't really referencing anything but other percentages. At this point you'd need hard data from years ago and then find all percentages linking to each other and referencing back to that last hard data, to really know where things are with hard numbers today.

And in a lot of cases, with Xbox, that means going back and tracking reports over almost 10 years. Most people don't have the time to do that.

Ozriel

M$FT
Well they give us percentages which are numbers, but aren't really referencing anything but other percentages. At this point you'd need hard data from years ago and then find all percentages linking to each other and referencing back to that last hard data, to really know where things are with hard numbers today.

And in a lot of cases, with Xbox, that means going back and tracking reports over almost 10 years. Most people don't have the time to do that.

The statement was that “Brazil is the 2nd biggest market for PC GamePass”. Where did you see any percentage there?

ReBurn

Gold Member

People argue themselves silly over percentages in hardware and software sales threads with no underlying numbers to back them up all the time. Can't really see how the percentage increase for game pass is any more or less meaningful than the "plastic box x did this percentage better or worse than this time last year" even when we rarely know what the actual number was last year.

Microsoft released PC game pass in more countries and a couple of metrics increased as a result. With the increase in subscribers there was probably a corresponding increase in revenue. Not sure why how much it is in real numbers matters.

RE: the topic, with Brazil being one of the most expensive countries for video games I can see why people would use subscriptions to get access games. A lot of folks own nothing because they can buy nothing. If subscriptions can give them better access to be able to play I hope they are successful.

A.Romero

Back in the 360 days Microsoft was the first one of the 3 manufacturers that had a real presence in Mexico. Both Nintendo and Sony only had half assed efforts or not at all. That's something that I will always respect Microsoft for. They were also the first ones to include a LATAM Spanish translation in their first party offerings.

I've been a gamepass sub since they released here too (for PC).

At least in my region I feel they treat customers pretty well.

Hudo

The number's been stagnant for two years now though. So if they're launching in new markets, claiming this big growth, but we aren't getting total subscriber increases (outside of when they folded XBL into Game Pass Core), then it either means:

1: New subs aren't offsetting the declines from churn, or

2: Somehow these numbers are just referring to influxes from converting Xbox Live subs to Game Pass Core.

But '2' probably wouldn't be the case because Core IIRC is just for the console, because the only people I'd imagine who had Gold subs were those on console. So it's either '1', or maybe MS do things differently for places like Brazil.

Your avatar is ass.

I like it.

The statement was that “Brazil is the 2nd biggest market for PC GamePass”. Where did you see any percentage there?

It's right there in the first sentence of the OP. But that percentage is referring to new subs in Latin American markets. Again tho, that doesn't mean much when there are no substantive numbers to place it against.

People argue themselves silly over percentages in hardware and software sales threads with no underlying numbers to back them up all the time. Can't really see how the percentage increase for game pass is any more or less meaningful than the "plastic box x did this percentage better or worse than this time last year" even when we rarely know what the actual number was last year.

Yeah, and maybe (at least for me) the odd part is really that things like sub growth rates are supposed to be part of the new metrics for ecosystem growth, but there's no real transparency so even shareholders can work out the numbers for themselves. Reporting it as percentages just makes it easier to give the impression of bigger growth, but I don't think the percentages mean anything without some hard, fixed number grounding them.

Microsoft released PC game pass in more countries and a couple of metrics increased as a result. With the increase in subscribers there was probably a corresponding increase in revenue. Not sure why how much it is in real numbers matters.

The revenue bump depends a lot on what territories, because a lot of subscription services price according to the market. Netflix might get say 20 million new subs in India, but it's a much smaller revenue increase because the average sub in that market is a lot less than in America.

RE: the topic, with Brazil being one of the most expensive countries for video games I can see why people would use subscriptions to get access games. A lot of folks own nothing because they can buy nothing. If subscriptions can give them better access to be able to play I hope they are successful.

Eh, don't know how much this necessarily holds up when PS5s are flying off the shelves there now. There must be some degree of wanting ownership of games in the market, and affordable means to do so (not counting piracy), otherwise those Series S & X price increases wouldn't have caused a sharp drop in sales in the country.

I mean the same things we have here like discounts, retail chains doing their own one-off sales, price drops, even rental shops and services, are options in places like Brazil, too. All of those make the feeling of "needing" a sub service for affordability purposes lower, I feel.

Back in the 360 days Microsoft was the first one of the 3 manufacturers that had a real presence in Mexico. Both Nintendo and Sony only had half assed efforts or not at all. That's something that I will always respect Microsoft for. They were also the first ones to include a LATAM Spanish translation in their first party offerings.

I've been a gamepass sub since they released here too (for PC).

At least in my region I feel they treat customers pretty well.

Nah Sega is the real MVP of Brazil. Them and Tectoy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom