• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[MVG] Doom 3 on the Original Xbox is an incredible port. Here is why.

I always wondered how they were able to port this extremely demanding PC game to the Xbox console, because Doom3 run like a slideshow on my PC (Athlon XP1600, Geforce3 128MB + 512MB RAM) even on low settings (everything turned off), yet xbox version run at solid 30fps and looked great (dynaminc lighting and bump mapping was there).

m5dNY1Y.jpg

Now I know many clever compromises had to be made, but to be honest even when I finally upgraded my PC in 2006 (Intel Q6600 + 8800Ultra 768MB + 2GB RAM) and played PC version maxed out I still thought like playing the same game unlike splinter cell 3 on PS2, that looked like a totally different game compared to the PC / xbox versions.

BTW. I think the SD CRT helped a lot, because the low resolution and blurry image hid imperfections (low poly models, low resolution textures) extremely well on the Xbox version. I wonder if xbox emulators can finally run doom3, because it would be awesome to see high resolution screenshots from the xbox version.

Last edited:

amigastar

I always wondered how they were able to port this extremely demanding PC game to the Xbox console, because Doom3 run like a slideshow on my PC (Athlon XP1600, Geforce3 128MB + 512MB RAM) even on low settings (everything turned off), yet xbox version run at solid 30fps and looked great (dynaminc lighting and bump mapping was there).

m5dNY1Y.jpg

Now I know many clever compromises had to be made, but to be honest even when I finally upgraded my PC in 2006 (Intel Q6600 + 8800Ultra 768MB + 2GB RAM) and played PC version maxed out I still thought like playing the same game unlike splinter cell 3 on PS2, that looked like a totally different game compared to the PC / xbox versions.

BTW. I think the SD CRT helped a lot, because the low resolution and blurry image hid imperfections (low poly models, low resolution textures) extremely well on the Xbox version. I wonder if xbox emulators can finally run doom3, because it would be awesome to see high resolution screenshots from the xbox version.
Dammit, that Screenshot, and to think Doom 3 was once the pinnacle of graphics who made your PC scream in pain.

SnapShot

Best thing about the OG Xbox port was the co-op campaign, they even went as far as make alternate levels specifically to accomdate a second player. I'm surprised that hasn't been brought over to any other version of the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom