• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My birth mother passed away

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
It's weird. She gave me up for adoption as a baby and I grew up loving her even though I didn't know her or remember her. But we grew close after I moved to where she lived. I had a great childhood... My mom raised me well. Although I could have been a better son. My birth mom never saw me grow up but she gave me that gift to have a family that loved me and to have a good life. Now my biological siblings and I have to plan her funeral, especially in this age of COVID-19. But we are going to get through this.

Tell your parents, siblings, cousins, aunts, uncles, friends... Whoever... Tell them you love them EVERY. DANG. DAY! Life is shorter than you know!

I just wanted to share this with y'all. I'm trying to get back to my home state to help with everything. Y'all be good.

Bolivar687

Banned
Really sorry about your loss DT, she sounds like an awesome person to have made the choice to give you life and a family despite how hard it must have been for her.

Are you close with your biological siblings?

Sorry for your loss. I am not close with my birth mother at all because she is an emotional abuser to all who try to help her. But I hope I still feel feels if and when she passes.

Sorry for your loss. I am not close with my birth mother at all because she is an emotional abuser to all who try to help her. But I hope I still feel feels if and when she passes.

Try not to judge too harshly. Life has many moving parts, and we all hurt each other, intentionally or not. Forgiveness is powerful and healing - even to those who may not seem to deserve forgiveness. (and always for the one doing the forgiving)

Must have been heartbreaking for her to part with you and I expect the same emotions in return despite the odd circumstances. Arrange for a religious service if that's your thing, give an honest eulogy then let her rest.

I feel like there's nothing I can say but that I'm sorry for your loss. Seems like you've been blessed with your family. Sad that your birth mother passed away, especially with how meaningful she was to you, even when you didn't know her and more so once you got to know her. I imagine she was proud of how you had grown up with a loving family into a good man. Hope things work out for you and that you're allowed your grief with little frustrations getting in your way.
Makes me think about my mother. To me, she was a great mother growing up, mostly only having conflicts with other parts of the family or friends, but ever since she hit midlife crisis she went all crazy and estranged most of us siblings, so much that she's not really a relevant factor in my daughter's life. Really difficult to imagine how I'd react if she died. I imagine it'd be with something oxymoronic like some callous sadness.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Really sorry about your loss DT, she sounds like an awesome person to have made the choice to give you life and a family despite how hard it must have been for her.

Are you close with your biological siblings?

Hey. Yes I am. I unfortunately won't be able to get there to Mississippi until next week because my job's rules with FMLA

Elcid

Banned
It's weird. She gave me up for adoption as a baby and I grew up loving her even though I didn't know her or remember her. But we grew close after I moved to where she lived. I had a great childhood... My mom raised me well. Although I could have been a better son. My birth mom never saw me grow up but she gave me that gift to have a family that loved me and to have a good life. Now my biological siblings and I have to plan her funeral, especially in this age of COVID-19. But we are going to get through this.

Tell your parents, siblings, cousins, aunts, uncles, friends... Whoever... Tell them you love them EVERY. DANG. DAY! Life is shorter than you know!

I just wanted to share this with y'all. I'm trying to get back to my home state to help with everything. Y'all be good.
Sorry to hear that bro. God bless you and your family and always be grateful for your loved ones.

Mistake

Hope you get through it op. Life can be a mess sometimes, but it seems you're grateful for what you've got, and that's wonderful. Sorry for your loss

John Day

I lack words, only that my thoughts go to you and your family. You sound like a good man, to have such feelings. I am sure she was happy and relieved that you lived loved and well.

I love you bro, take this time to mourn with your family. Embrace all the good things, don't focus on the negatives. Just know that even if she couldn't be in the best position to raise you, she did in fact pave the way to give you the quality of life you have. RIP to her.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
My condolences.

My mother passed away from cancer when I was younger so I can relate. My father is also in hospice care.

I hope things work out better for you and your family.

Last edited:
Top Bottom