• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"My Wife Hates Rubble": Things We Accept / Take for Grated While Casuals Can't

While I can understand someone not being able to move with the left analogy?, orbit with the right..

My Wife Hates rumble in games. she simply doesn't get haptic feedback. I turn it off before we play.

What have you found that us as gamers have gotten so use to in gaming where casual or non gamer simply not get / grasp?

Edit: Title - Rumble* damn typo in title

Last edited:
My wife hates stubble. Needs me clean shaved.

Edit: she actually hates me recommending games to her and she'll go out of her way to play something different if I do lol

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
First of all:

CU8FvYY.jpg

I’m surprised about the rumble, but I guess I can sort of see it. Playing Forza Horizon at the moment, and the entire controller and triggers are kicking my hands like a portable Hydro Thunder cabinet. That could get annoying/overwhelming to a newcomer.

Mine is sense of direction. Trying to introduce newcomers to games, this tends to be the number one thing that goes wrong. They just completely fall apart, not knowing where to go, if there’s the slightest bit of freedom. It’s no wonder AAA games always have so many intrusive navigational aids.

Last edited:

Kupfer

Don't need to be a casual for that.

I always disable rumble.
Same here, I don't see any benefit from a vibrating controller. They also have a longer battery life without rumbling.
Still I hope the DualSense can change my mind with new/better rumble features.

Soodanim

This is now a rumble thread.
I started turning rumble off about a year or two ago, but I never missed it even with the whole SixAxis thing. I am, however, curious about how PS5 will do things.

Contributing to the topic. I used to invert Y axis in N64 days and I remember my friends not knowing what I was talking about. I don't invert these days, and don't know why I ever did.

FeldMonster

Trigger rumble is so, so good.

After playing thousands of hours in Destiny and Halo, when my batteries are low, and trigger rumble is cut first, it feels awful. The feedback really immerses you in the game.

Reficul

Contributing to the topic. I used to invert Y axis in N64 days and I remember my friends not knowing what I was talking about. I don't invert these days, and don't know why I ever did.
You did it because that's the way to play games. I hope they wont remove this feature until I'm pushing up daisies.

eot

Banned
I think it's pointless, but I mostly play PC games so I'm more used to not having it. Force feedback on wheels can be cool, but your controller just vibrating a bit because your character took a hit? Doesn't do anything for me.

Vawn

Banned
Some people hate rumble, that's why must games let you turn it off.

I don't get it though. It feels weird when it is not there. I love it.

There are a few games that overuse it though. I was playing Final Fantasy 1 on Vita and PS TV (best $19 I ever soent). When I switched (you don't own that word Nintendo), from Vita to TV, I was shocked that the game actually had rumble. Unfortunately, it was full shake for literally every turn-based move and was annoying. I turned it off - something I rarely do.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I have a wired XBO pad that I use on PC sometimes and I swear it’ll rumble for 2-3 minutes and I’m left guessing what I did to have to it rumble for so long.

Sometimes I have to turn it off. It’s just there for the reason of being there. I don’t need it to feel immersed in a game.

Last edited:

Mister D

I turn that shit off in the PS4 menu so it's always off. I'll see if the Dual Sense makes me change my mind on holding on to a vibrator while I'm playing games.

brian0057

Banned
"My wife hates rubble?"... Uhm... Ok?
Just make sure she doesn't go near construction or demolition sites.

Unless you meant rumble, then that's alright. Not fan either.

moniker

I've been gaming for thirty years and I also hate (regular) rumble. Linear actuators like the ones in the Index controllers can be pretty cool though.

Top Bottom