• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Myst studio Cyan announces Obduction for PS4, PSVR, and HTC Vive

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://venturebeat.com/2016/11/07/myst-studio-cyan-announces-obduction-for-ps4-psvr-and-htc-vive/

Cyan, the legendary studio that released Myst and Riven in the 1990s, launched its Obduction game on the PC in August, and it debuted on the Oculus Rift virtual reality headset last week. Now, Cyan is announcing that Obduction is also going to debut on the Sony PlayStation 4, the PlayStation VR headset, and the HTC Vive VR headset as well.

That will help Cyan reach a wider audience for a mysterious puzzle game that is like a spiritual successor to Myst and Riven.

“We’re going all-in on VR,” said Rand Miller, CEO of Cyan, in an interview with GamesBeat. “And the PlayStation breaks open our availability as a much broader platform for us. I [was] amazed at how good this looks on a console.”

The project is a three-year effort by the indie studio in the woods of Spokane, Wash. Obduction introduces a whole new world. You begin exploring on the shore of a lake during a cloudy night. An artifact falls from the starry sky and transports you across the universe, as you have been abducted and added to an alien landscape with a Kansas farmhouse, a white picket fence, and bizarre ghost town. Your job is to explore, solve puzzles, and unravel a mystery.

Cyan has already begun work adding support for hand controls and room scale. Hand controls will allow players to interact directly with objects in the world — buttons, levers, doors, valves, etc. — even picking up objects to examine them. These new features will provide a more immersive experience to players with the appropriate capabilities (Vive, Oculus Touch, and PSVR).

Awesome news. Loved Myst and Riven back in the day, and have been anxious to hear about a console port of this one.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I'm too stupid to play their games without a walk through. Love the games though.

Cyan has already begun work adding support for hand controls and room scale. Hand controls will allow players to interact directly with objects in the world — buttons, levers, doors, valves, etc. — even picking up objects to examine them. These new features will provide a more immersive experience to players with the appropriate capabilities (Vive, Oculus Touch, and PSVR).

Good to hear. I was looking forward to Vive support already, but I wasn't sure if that just meant getting it working in VR, or full on motion control support.

Top Bottom