• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[NASA] A Decade After Launch, Mars Orbiter Still Continues Full Science & Relay Ops

Status
Not open for further replies.

cameron

http://www.nasa.gov/jpl/mro/one-decade-after-launch-mars-orbiter-still-going-strong
Ten years after launch, NASA’s Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO) has revealed the Red Planet’s diversity and activity, returning more data about Mars every week than all six other missions currently active there. And its work is far from over.

The workhorse orbiter now plays a key role in NASA’s Journey to Mars planning. Images from the orbiter, revealing details as small as a desk, aid the analysis of potential landing sites for the 2016 InSight lander and Mars 2020 rover. Data from the orbiter will also be used as part of NASA’s newly announced process to examine and select candidate sites where humans will first explore the Martian surface in the 2030s.

MRO's primary science mission began in November 2006 and lasted for one Mars year, equivalent to about two Earth years. The orbiter has used six instruments to examine Mars' surface, subsurface and atmosphere. The spacecraft has been orbiting Mars at an altitude of about 186 miles (300 kilometers) above the Red Planet, passing near the north and south poles about 12 times a day.

"Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter has found evidence of diverse watery environments on early Mars, some more habitable than others," said the mission's project scientist, Rich Zurek of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, California. "MRO has discovered that Mars' south polar cap holds enough buried carbon-dioxide ice to double the planet's current atmosphere if it warmed. It’s caught avalanches and dust storms in action. The spacecraft's longevity has made it possible to study seasonal and longer-term changes over four Martian years. These studies document activity such as moving dunes, freshly excavated impact craters -- some which expose subsurface ice -- and mysterious strips that darken and fade with the seasons and are best explained as brine flows."

On July 29, 2015, MRO successfully maneuvered itself into the proper orbit to support the InSight Mars lander mission that will arrive next year.

A collection of images from MRO and featured articles are available here and here. Examples (hi-res versions and articles in the link. Some of these are colour enhanced):

For Anniversary of Orbiter's Launch: Seasonal Flows in Mars' Valles Marineris
bMMeElY.jpg
First test image of Mars taken on March 24, 2006 by the High Resolution Imaging Science Experiment camera (HiRISE)
Fresh Crater Near Sirenum Fossae Region of Mars
Mars' Moon Deimos
Mars' Moon Phobos
Dust Devils on Mars
Curiosity Rover at 'Pahrump Hills'
Opportunity Rover at 'Victoria Crater'
A Frozen Inactive Spirit Rover in 'Gusev Crater'
Dark Dune Fields of Proctor Crater
Two Generations of Windblown Sediments on Mars
"Patterned ground on Mars is thought to form as the result of cyclic thermal contraction cracking in the permanently frozen ground."
Seasonal Changes on Far-Northern Mars
Badlands of Aram Chaos

Mikey Jr.

I honestly have no idea what I'm looking at in these pictures. I don't understand the orientation or anything. They're confusing.

Edit- ok, not all of them. Few of them though.

Why is the moon so misshapen?

Which one? Mars has two.

Anyway, they're very likely asteroids that were captured by Martian gravity. Actually Phobos is very slowly descending toward the planet. It'll probably be ripped apart by Martial tidal forces in about 100 million years or so.

It's real-life Majora's Mask on an epic scale, people!

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit, these pictures:

I would have never thought that was Mars, absolutely stunning. These blew my mind.

Mohonky

Mars looks like its. Full of useful metals and minerals.....we should terraform it, it always goes well in the movies.

jerry113

Banned

This picture is my favorite. The square is the Curiosity rover.

We have a robot orbiting another planet taking a picture of another robot on the planet's surface.

Unironically, wholeheartedly speaking - what a time to be alive.

BizzyBum

Which one? Mars has two.

Anyway, they're very likely asteroids that were captured by Martian gravity. Actually Phobos is very slowly descending toward the planet. It'll probably be ripped apart by Martial tidal forces in about 100 million years or so.

It's real-life Majora's Mask on an epic scale, people!

destiny3.gif

=D

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
it looks like bacteria or cells. i cant even get a frame of reference for those things to even know what they are

I honestly want the manned missions or at least a rover to go to these places, I want to see them up close, because man, they are freaking beautiful. I'm astounded.

Phoenix

Its stuff like this that makes me constantly wonder why we don't spend the extra money to just put orbiters around each of the planets instead of these missions that wizz past planets. Yes I understand that the costs are higher, but we would get substantially more return from the investment by having a more permanent orbiter above a planet.

cameron

Here's a fun one, then. It's a shot of Curiosity Rover from the Mars Orbiter (expand to see).

And to give a sense of scale, Curiosity is about the size of a car (2.7m wide, 2.9m long). Here's a panoramic view on the ground from Curiosity around the same time when MRO took that image.

Full pic by MRO of Victoria Crater (750m diameter, 70m deep)
Panorama by Oppurtunity on ground at the edge of that crater

A couple of other pics of the polar regions I thought was interesting.

Fascinating stuff. I wish NASA and the military could swap budgets. I don't understand why politicians don't want to fund space exploration. I mean, this is rocket ships! Who doesn't like rocket ships?

Herne

DanHalen1.jpg

Science, you cheap whore!

Seriously though, great stuff. It's amazing what we're currently doing, to say nothing of what's to come.

Melon Husk

Fascinating stuff. I wish NASA and the military could swap budgets. I don't understand why politicians don't want to fund space exploration. I mean, this is rocket ships! Who doesn't like rocket ships?

It's kind of astonishing to think what people could do if they wanted to. The Apollo program as a whole cost ~$200Bn in today's money. If there was no need for military, that $600Bn per year would be plenty to colonize every rocky planet and moon in the solar system.
Or build space pyramids for Emperor Obama. Whatever the current pres felt like doing.

Angelcurio

That's the kind of thing i would really like to experience in VR, be it a full 3D recreation of those same images of Mars, or a full 360° view using those high resolution images of Mars surface. Those images are fascinating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom