• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naughty Dog Creative Head Neil Druckmann to Receive NYVGCC Legend Award | Past winners include Phil Spencer, Hideo Kojima, and Reggie Fils-Aimé

Isn't that the pervert that mocaped this and ruined Uncharted 4...
db047f7bee83e069d6b13e13dc07fa50.30.jpg

Depends who you’re trying to impress I suppose. Are people really looking at their shelves of alphabetically ordered video game spines and saying “yes! People will finally see how sophisticated my hobby truly is now!” all thanks to Druck?
naughty dog captured lightning in a bottle with last of us. period. druckmann has gone on to take the most distinctive aspects of last of us ('feels', graphically depicted violence, emotional moral conflicts, & overwhelmingly sombre atmosphere), added in woke ideology, & proceeded to use these aspects as basic building blocks for other games (uncharted 4, lost legacy, last of us 2). other sony developers (santa monica studio, guerrilla games, insomniac) have since also adopted some or all of these aspects, as well. the good news: it has so far, anyway, proven to be critically/financially successful. the bad news: what's being defined as 'maturity' by others looks to me more like highly calculated manipulation. last of us was the last major sony release i've enjoyed. i've found everything since, including sequels in franchises i've loved (uncharted, ratchet & clank) to be weirdly off, &, ultimately, more excruciating than actually fun...

so, yeah: that druckmann's had a huge effect on game narrative (particularly sony game narrative) is undeniable. that this 'accomplishment' (the commodification of 'maturity'?) puts him up there with previous winners i'd say is quite debatable...

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
No matter how good The Last of Us was and I ain't gonna get started with PT II
And even if you give him full credit for TLOU & Uncharted.
I still don't think he meets the criteria for this type of reward.
That’s why I listed Miyamoto.

Shit even Miyazaki has more of an impact in the landscape of games.

I mean god damn Druckman is not a legend… he could be but he hasn’t been doing this long enough.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
That’s why I listed Miyamoto.

Shit even Miyazaki has more of an impact in the landscape of games.

I mean god damn Druckman is not a legend… he could be but he hasn’t been doing this long enough.
In the end, it's americans promoting americans, just like the Oscars and Grammy.
Kojima is there because he's the most "american" of the japanese developers out there, and wants to pretend he's a Hollywood director.

If you had to include japanese developers in that award, then the top 10 would probably be japanese.

Not to mention they're even unable to award their own people. Remember the shitshow that happened when GDC wanted to give an award to Atari founder and had to step back because of social media drama?

ssringo

I mentioned it was an interesting list (should have said weird) but was curious about dates so I copied Wikipedia for it's winners for anyone else that's curious. 2021 is where they pumped up their award numbers with 4 recipients.

2016 - Rockstar Games
2017 - Richard Garriott (creator of Ultima)
2018 - Todd Howard
2019 - Jade Raymond
2020 - Reggie Fils-Aime
2021 - Hideo Kojima, Jerry Lawson (creating video game cartridges), John and Brenda Romero
2022 - Tim Schaefer
2023 - Phil Spencer
2024 - Neil Druckman

Majormaxxx

I mentioned it was an interesting list (should have said weird) but was curious about dates so I copied Wikipedia for it's winners for anyone else that's curious. 2021 is where they pumped up their award numbers with 4 recipients.

2016 - Rockstar Games
2017 - Richard Garriott (creator of Ultima)
2018 - Todd Howard
2019 - Jade Raymond
2020 - Reggie Fils-Aime
2021 - Hideo Kojima, Jerry Lawson (creating video game cartridges), John and Brenda Romero
2022 - Tim Schaefer
2023 - Phil Spencer
2024 - Neil Druckman
Amy Hennig has better impact than Jade Raymond...

Top Bottom