• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Naval Ravikant on Joe Rogan Experience

AaronB

Joe Rogan has talked to many incredibly interesting people, but this was one of the best that I've listened to. I don't agree with everything, but this guy is really fascinating.

A lot of it revolved around the search for happiness. He dismisses the popular notion that "Smart people are unhappy." Instead, "If you are smart, you should be able to figure out how to be happy." He focused on two keys: first, being financially comfortable. A lot of money doesn't make people happy, but the lack of it can certainly make people unhappy. He puts out a lot of material, for free, about how to get rich. Then reach "retirement", where you are not trading your time for money. The other key is mental peace. They talk a lot about mindset and meditation.

From the podcast notes:
JUNE 5, 2019
Naval Ravikant – The Joe Rogan Experience

Key Takeaways
  • When you combine things you’re not supposed to combine, people get interested
  • Don’t read to finish books. Read to satisfy your intellectual curiosity.
  • EVERYBODY on Earth can be wealthy
  • Everybody wants to be wealthy, everybody wants to be happy, and everybody wants to be fit
    • Here’s the good news – all 3 of those things can be taught
  • Happiness is a choice
  • “Desire is suffering… every desire you have is an axis where you will suffer. So just don’t focus on more than one desire to time. The universe is rigged in such a way that if you just want one thing, and you focus on that, you’ll get it, but everything else you gotta let go.”
  • If you want to operate at peak performance, you need a calm mind
  • We live in an age of infinite leverage, and because of that, the impacts of good decision-making are much higher than they used to be
  • Knowledge workers function like athletes – they train, sprint, then rest and reassess
  • The information revolution, by making it easier to communicate, connect, and cooperate, is allowing us to go back to working for ourselves
  • We need a culture of continuous adult education
  • Society will always create new jobs, but it’s impossible to predict what those jobs will be
    • “I do believe that automation, over a long enough period of time, will replace every non-creative job”
  • There are MANY problems with Universal Basic Income
  • You won’t see General AI anytime soon
  • Naval practices the “art of doing nothing” meditation, here’s how you do it:
    • “Sit down, close your eyes, get in a comfortable position, and whatever happens, happens. If you think, you think. If you don’t think, you don’t think. Don’t put any effort into it.”
  • Protect your time like it’s all you have
    • You’ll have to ruthlessly decline meetings if you want to do anything of importance in this world
  • Find the thing that looks like work to others, but feels like play to you, and then go all in on it

I listened to a few of this guy’s clips while on Joe Rogan.

He comes off very fair and intelligent. I think I agree with him in many cases.

Too bad I don’t like watching Joe a Rogan interviews in full. Takes too much time out of my day.

Top Bottom