• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBC's The Cape: The Greatest Cape Show That Ever Existed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before Flash. Before Arrow. Before Daredevil. There was The Cape.
cp21.jpg

Once upon a time, tv studios had original ideas and didnt feel compelled to copy and paste the same tired stories from boring Marvel and DC comics that nobody reads when they made a super hero show.
NoOrdinaryFamilyCastPic_Smaller1.png

Following the blazing success that was No Ordinary Family, The Cape sought to create its own superhero mythos, filled to the brim with human characters that you drew close to over the course of a 10 episode miniseries.

The Plot
"The Cape" is a one-hour drama series starring David Lyons ("ER") as Vince Faraday, an honest cop on a corrupt police force, who finds himself framed for a series of murders and presumed dead. He is forced into hiding, leaving behind his wife Dana (Jennifer Ferrin, "Life on Mars") and son, Trip (Ryan Wynott, "Flash Forward"). Fueled by a desire to reunite with his family and to battle the criminal forces that have overtaken Palm City, Vince Faraday becomes "The Cape" - his son's favorite comic book superhero - and takes the law into his own hand.

The Cast

David Lyons as Vincent "Vince" Faraday / The Cape – A former soldier and an honest cop who is presumed both dead and a murderer by the residents of Palm City.
10_cape_560x375.jpg

"You put this on your blog, you put my family in danger."
Keith David as Maxwell "Max" Malini – The ringleader of a gang of circus-performers-turned-bank-robbers known as "The Carnival of Crime".
capeglass.gif

"In the lion's cage you can't be worried about your family. You can't be afraid. The lions smell it. You just walked into the lion's cage and got eaten, my friend."

Summer Glau as Orwell – An investigative blogger who wages war on the crime and corruption in Palm City, (her blogger moniker is a nod to George Orwell).
THE-CAPE-Season-1-Summer-Glau-Ep-4.jpg

"What you said about your boy, about showing him one man can make a difference, that stayed with me. You take it from a man who never knew his father, and who never had a son: That bond, it's what makes hero."

James Frain as Peter Fleming / Chess – The billionaire founder/CEO of Ark Industries and the Cape's nemesis
vlcsnap-2011-01-29-18h45m51s105.png

"Do you play chess? I ask because you have an aggressive opener. In the game I'd call it the Latvian gambit. You forced me to fine-tune. But we are in the middle game, and pawns become crucial. And out of your inexperience, you left your king vulnerable. Your family."

and Featuring Vinnie Jones as Dominic Raoul / Scales – A frightening criminal menace with a freakish skin condition that gives him the appearance of being covered with green and gold scales

latest

Where to Watch
NBC currently airs the entire NBC's The Cape series on their streaming service. Relive the excitement from the comfort off your own home for free today.
http://www.nbc.com/the-cape/video/tarot/n1749

Remenber Gaf, Heroes do wear capes.

All I remember about the show was James Frain and how he seemed to play the same character on Gotham years later. He plays that character well, though.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I didn't even give this or No Ordinary Family a chance. I wasted enough time with Heroes, they weren't going to get me again with this nonsense.

vypek

I didn't even give this or No Ordinary Family a chance. I wasted enough time with Heroes, they weren't going to get me again with this nonsense.
Kinda how I feel.

I believe the commercial said that there are 37 ways (or skills) to use a cape and I just thought 'not watching this'

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
The Cape is so bad its good i think. Its been years but the scene of Glau riding into the Carnival of Crime on the back of a moped had me dying for some reason. i forget if it was the music or the editing or just the sequence of events but that scene in particular was up there with Flashforwards "I WAS LOADED" scene for me.

I remember watching the first episode of this and going nope. But maybe I'll see it again. No ordinary family was my go to after feeling burned out by Heros.

dabig2

No Ordinary family was a head of it's time. I hate when shit gets canceled on a cliffhanger

No Ordinary Family and Terra Nova were the 2 comfy, family power shows me and my family fucked with in those days. Too bad both were killed so soon cause they were really growing into their own.

The Cape was absolute garbage. One of the few shows I watched that I didn't get mad when it got cancelled.

And I find it laughable at calling it an "original idea"

It was a Batman show without the budget to license the rights.

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.
The Cape is amazing. It scratches the same itch Darkman does albeit probably unintentionally.

I don't know what they were going for but man it was entertaining.

Slayven

No Ordinary Family and Terra Nova were the 2 comfy, family power shows me and my family fucked with in those days. Too bad both were killed so soon cause they were really growing into their own.

Yeah Terra Nova had a target on it's back from day one.

Dinosaur shows are doomed to end on cliffhangers

D i Z

Ah. Terra Nova. Clipped when it was getting good.

kswiston

I forgot this show existed. Never got around to watching it myself.

As an aside, how many failed shows has Summer Glau been a part of now?

Jarrod38

The show must have been really bad because I never heard of it until now but at the same time it was on NBC Prime time which no one watches.

Cafeman

I watched both The Cape and No Ordinary Family. I thought The Cape was weird with an interesting premise, but it was also pretty crappy show.

I liked No Ordinary Family, I thought it got better and better , then it got cancelled. Watching the dad (Commissioner Barnes!) take Hulk leaps was kind of funny. Had the cute Kay Panabaker girl who looks so much like her older sister Danielle. Does Kay act anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom