• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need a 4K/HDR FreeSync monitor. Suggestions?

Bamihap

Good at being the bigger man
This video is possibly relevant:

I do think you are asking for a lot. Sure 10bit is great for image quality, but if you want a cheapish 4K screen image quality will decrease as well. I.e. buying a 1440p screen for the same price as a 4k screen MIGHT get you better image quality because the tech might be higher end.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
This video is possibly relevant:

I do think you are asking for a lot. Sure 10bit is great for image quality, but if you want a cheapish 4K screen image quality will decrease as well. I.e. buying a 1440p screen for the same price as a 4k screen MIGHT get you better image quality because the tech might be higher end.

I've seen that video and while it has it's points, but it's heavily skewed in favor of competitive gaming in which framerate and 144Hz is the end all be all. Two years ago, I was firmly in the 1080p/60fps camp. Once I saw 4K gaming and the truly outstanding image quality it gave I was hooked. And yes, 1440p with solid anti-aliasing will produce a 4K-like image, I still see the benefits of true rendered 4K.

The BenQ I linked and this LG
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025901&Description=LG 4K HDR monitor&cm_re=LG_4K_HDR_monitor-_-24-025-901-_-Product seem like the best choices.

Maybe this Acer
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W08G62579&Description=Acer 4K HDR monitor&cm_re=Acer_4K_HDR_monitor-_-24-011-158-_-Product

WHich has a VERY nice price, but probably wayyy too cheap. EDIT: says can't use HDR and Freesync at the same time.

Last edited:

Melon Husk

I'd personally wait til the next decade. Having said that, LG does make great 4K monitors (UK650, UK850, ...) with fake HDR, which is probably what you'd be happy with. You probably know what that entails...? Peak brightness and color gamut are only slightly better than normally. At least in LG's case it doesn't ruin the image, unlike most "HDR ready" monitors.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
get a ips don't take ANYTHING else trust me on this i returned 4 monitors
accept that all ips panels have some light bleed and when you actually play a game it doesn't matter.
if you are team green get a gsync monitor (if you want to pay the price) it's amazing
accept hdr is fucked on pc monitors.
accept that anything smaller then a 32 inch monitor is pointless if you want 4k
and your neck WILL hurt if you are too close

get a "cheap" oled from lg 1200 ish for a 55 inch screen if you really want decent hdr

i had a lg ips ultrawide just because i like to have more screen real estate and no scaling that monitor died in 8 months of use
then i tried a 4k sony hdr tv. as a computer monitor hahaha xD returned
then i got a samsung 32 inch 4k VA panel (q-led) cool reds cool green colors shit viewing angle returned
then i got an samsung ultrawide 100hz screen . VA panel again thought q-led+ would be better... no its shit returned it.
then i got an alienware gaming laptop with a gsync tn screen and gtx 1070 120fps (dont get a gaming laptop) gsync 120fps was CRAZY 2 BSOD's in day 1 returned.
then i bought a lg oled c7 55 inch. the contrast of oled is bonkers. no burn in and great hdr. i kept it and forgot about my monitor.
waited about a year cause i was super frustrated my old dell ultrasharp 1440p (ips) that was 6 years old i could not replace.

then black friday came i sniped a acer predator for 500 instead of 1k. ultrawide ips 120hz gsync 3440x1440
finally i am happy.

get a ips monitor try to get gsync on it+ 1440p or higher good luck !

p.s

there is no perfect monitor.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Samsung 27" CHG70 Gaming Monitor with Quantum Dot. Meets all your requirements and is 144hz.

https://www.samsung.com/us/computin...ming-monitor-with-quantum-dot-lc27hg70qqnxza/

Have this monitor and love it.

At 27" the drop from 4k to 1440p is not that bad but you gain the 144hz which makes a huge difference to me in every single game.

Plus it works with the Xbox 1440p 120hz update and accepts a 4k signal from a PS4 Pro and super scales it down to 1440p making a really nice picture.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Have this monitor and love it.

At 27" the drop from 4k to 1440p is not that bad but you gain the 144hz which makes a huge difference to me in every single game.

Plus it works with the Xbox 1440p 120hz update and accepts a 4k signal from a PS4 Pro and super scales it down to 1440p making a really nice picture.
I’m almost convinced.

Shai-Tan

Banned
HDR implementations in most pc monitors are garbage and manufacturer claims about colors also questionable so it makes it difficult to research what to get. 27 is also on the low end of being able to see detail in 4k

another possibility is going 3440x1440 which seems to have more models in addition to higher refresh rate support

I'm glad I have an Nvidia card where Freesync is irrelevant because it frees me up to just use my 65" tv for 4k gaming (the only 4k monitor with hdr and gsync that I could find is over $2000 CAD and it's only 27". As much as I like gsync on my laptop, f that)

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
HDR implementations in most pc monitors are garbage and manufacturer claims about colors also questionable so it makes it difficult to research what to get. 27 is also on the low end of being able to see detail in 4k

another possibility is going 3440x1440 which seems to have more models in addition to higher refresh rate support

I'm glad I have an Nvidia card where Freesync is irrelevant because it frees me up to just use my 65" tv for 4k gaming (the only 4k monitor with hdr and gsync that I could find is over $2000 CAD and it's only 27". As much as I like gsync on my laptop, f that)
Unless Navi is a complete bomb (very possible), I will making the jump to AMD from my 1070 as I simply refuse to pay the ridiculous premium associated with GSync.

True HDR on a monitor is very expensive.

I use a LG 27uk650 and it’s not true HDR (I think it maxes at 400 nits) but it looks very nice.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
I am having a tough time finding a monitor with that meets my requirements:
HDR (I know most monitors don’t meet true HDR requirements)
10-bit color
IPS or VA panel (No TN)
FreeSync support (144Hz is not necessary 60Hz is fine for me)

So far this BenQ is the only one I can find
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078HWBGH5/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Check this 43" hdr1000, ticks all your boxes, lol
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/fina...ith-good-affordability.1462091/post-253244682

Gurgeh

I've got the BENQ EW3270U, i wouldn't pick a oled tv for a monitor even though i've got one for watching tv purely for the issues you can get with burn in/sub pixel wearing

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I am convinced on the Samsung CHG70. Looks amazing.

Is there a GSync with HDR equivalent anywhere? I realize it would be a bit more expensive, but in order for me to get a worthwhile upgrade for my 1070 I'd have to go at least Vega 56 and the cost of that + Freesync would be far more than just a Gsync.

dirthead

Banned
I hate Linus and I hate that video.

There are already high refresh rate 4k monitors so his point is dumb.

4k 120hz+ monitors will be common next year. I'd just wait until next year to get a monitor.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I got the Acer (for $400) and that is only because I was getting a new PC whether I liked it or not since my old one broke down and I couldn't stand the color on my TN panel anymore. Fact is, the HDR is not real HDR. Does it still look great when a game actually allows calibration? Yes. However, a lot of games only use automated calibration that doesn't work in such low parameters. Real HDR pretty much only exists in TVs over $1500 right now.

But what if you say okay well who cares about HDR, let's get some 10bit color going at least. There you'll find better options at reasonable prices, but also much better will be coming out soon. Also, 4k is an absolute waste of money at anything less than 32" and you need to be fully aware of that.

However, at 32" the difference of motion artifacts between 60hz and over 120hz is much more apparent. Is that only really seen in super competitive games? Well, yes and no. It will only help your gameplay in really competitive games, but is still noticed elsewhere. I'd say the loss of clarity in motion is great enough that it makes a drop to 1440p superfluous, which brings us to the next complication.

Say you go for the 144hz monitor with motion blur reduction for that sweet, sweet clarity that makes the 4k benefit over 1440p apparent all the time. Are you playing many games at 4k at 144fps? HELL NO. And you won't. For a very long time. So long, in fact, that by time it is an affordable thing to do, a 4k 144hz truly HDR monitor that meets all Freesync 2 specs will be your average everyday monitor at reasonable prices. 144hz can still improve clarity for 60fps games some if you run borderless windowed, but the strategy is not giving the full benefit and is incompatible with monitor sync technologies.

So what did I do? I didn't chase the 4k dream dropping an extra $1000 on a 1080ti and another $1000 for the monitor to support it, but but got the most bang for my buck on this Acer with a 1070ti which I use to play most games 1440p@60fps and tossed some of the extra money into an Xbox One X which lets me experience the HDR a bit more often than I would have. If I ever miss the clarity of my 144hz BenQ, I have it hooked up at the same time and could play any game on it, but the image quality loss of a 1080p 8bit TN panel isn't worth it to me.

If you want to move past 1080p 8bit panels I completely understand. Games these days are simply produced for a higher level of fidelity and if you don't keep up, the returns are diminishing greatly. However, don't fall prey to the marketing of top tier tech that is pretending it's all reasonably obtainable. It just isn't done forming yet, so you will be paying out the ass to have it doing things in part that without the complete feature set doesn't really present it to your end-user experience. Wait until you can get 4K HDR at 120hz and 120fps on a budget that is reasonable to you.

In the meantime, I recommend doing what I did and settling for the awkward middle, especially since you expressed that image quality is important to you. You will run into some annoyances when developers don't provide HDR adjustment options, and you'll probably sometimes think 60fps isn't clear enough, and you'll sometimes wrestle with yourself over a decision between 1440p solid 60fps or inconsistent framerate at 4k, but overall the benefit over old panels is worth it, but the massive increase of investment to step past those little issues isn't really.

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
Setting aside the fact that high refresh rate by itself doesn’t solve the problem of sample-and-hold, increased clarity of motion in high refresh rate gaming is set here against the trade off of increased clarity from running in higher resolution. You can see little details in geometry, especially in open world games that you couldn’t see in 1440p in 4K.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Right now I have a BenQ 27" IPS and a Geforce 1070, which is still great for many games.

For me to go Freesync and get an upgrade in terms of performance, I'd need to get a Freesync monitor and a cheap Vega 64 (56 would be virtually identical performance) and that would run me around $900. $750 if I went with a cheap Vega 56. The Samsung QLED, CHG70 eventhough it only goes to 1440p is outstanding if the reviews are to be believed at a price right now of $430 for 27" and $500 for 32"

Right now Gsync has nothing equivalent to matching that value and I will not buy a monitor that doesn't support 10-bit color. The Gsync HDR monitors that I can find cost $1500-$2000 and that aint happening.

Shai-Tan

Banned
That’s one of the reasons I blew money on a 2080 ti, to play at locked 60 in 4K on a tv with good color and hdr. Unfortunately 2 of 3 games I bought from 2018 don’t hit locked 60 (Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Assassin’s Creed Odyssey - Battlefield V is the ok one). It’s great on older games though. Hopefully the 7nm gpu parts coming next year have more headroom to stay locked at 60. Tearing isn’t that much of a problem in some games e.g. Rise of the Tomb Raider it’s barely noticeable to the point where I played the game with performance destroying VXAO but Shadow of the Tomb Raider is nonstop tearing right in the middle of the screen, like I almost want to play it at 30hz bad.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
What graphics card are you using? Even with sli 1080 tis, running games at 4k kinda sucks.
1070 is my current card

Right now, I am just going to hold off and see what happens with Navi or AMD's Vega refresh. Right now it just makes no sense to go all in on the Freesync/Gsync bandwagon as both are just far too costly and offer little over my BenQ 27" and 1070.

If that Asus ROG was $800 instead of $2000 getting that would be a no brainer and I'd just stick to Nvidia.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
After all that I decided to keep my BenQ 1440p monitor and just get an EVGA GeForce 2080. I’ll consider a new monitor once HDR becomes more common.

Calibur

Is there a Google for monitors, I need a 25/27 inch Quad HD monitor, 4k would be a bonus, HDR with 2 HDMI and one DVI port! Under £400

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Is there a Google for monitors, I need a 25/27 inch Quad HD monitor, 4k would be a bonus, HDR with 2 HDMI and one DVI port! Under £400
The LG 27UK650-W frequently goes on sale and it might come close to that price. No freesync or Gsync

Last edited:
Top Bottom