• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need a new gaming headset for PC

If you are willing to spend that much money on trash like the kraken why not get good cans and a an amp/DAC.

The mics in those headsets are worth as much as a $2 store bought logitech mic.

HD598 and schiit modi2/magni2 combo and you are set for years.

It's the success of headset marketing, combined with the general lack of understanding on how headphones work. There is the honest belief that regular headphones can't do positional audio, because it's not like you hear about terms like soundstage on your average review of these gaming headsets. Hell, it wasn't until I ran into a Tek Syndicate video which explained why gaming headsets sucked that I went and looked up what makes good gaming headphones. Eventually made my way to head-fi and then the revelation hit.

Lagamorph

Sennheiser 598 is more than twice the price of the other headsets I've been looking at. Really don't want to spend £200 on a pair of headphones.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
If you are only using it for gaming, get the Hyper X Cloud 1 or 2. If you also use it for listening to music get a headphone + mic Combo.

I think I may just get the hyper cloud iI and call it a day. I feel so drained and exasperated watching a few of those audio enthusiast videos given how broad and varying opinions seem to be on headsets and brands I have no reference or understanding for. My decision is no closer to being made, and I feel it never will be at this rate. (Though I guess now I do want open-cans and 1 big driver because I don't know!)

Also those of you drive-by posting telling us to buy a "non-gaming" headset and mod mic, you aren't being helpful. We're asking for headset recommendations, not an agenda. An actual tangible recommendation is appreciated. (I am aware not all of you do this, but it has to be pointed out to those that do)

Amneisac

Sennheiser 598 is more than twice the price of the other headsets I've been looking at. Really don't want to spend £200 on a pair of headphones.

The 598's were recently available in the US for $65 in Very Good condition used from Amazon. I would also say the 558's are almost equally as good if you can find a better price on them.

The Sennheiser 558's look to be good for gaming. Slighty punchier bass over the 598's which is appreciated for gaming, but not as wide a soundstage and just general slightly worse audio quality over the 598's.

I've had my Corsair 1500 headset for a few years now and it's been great, although not sure what the current model equivalent would be.

Also not to denounce the suggestion of high end headphones + extra mic, but headsets can be cheaper and more practical for some users. Some people just want to hear games decently and speak to people when playing online and headsets fill that niche.

Lagamorph

Headphones are something I won't ever buy used. There's a reason most places don't take non-faulty return headphones.

Honestly I'm still not sure. I'm certainly not an audiophile and I'm just not sold on the advantages of getting stereo headphones when I'm also seeing talk of needing amps/DACs to get the best performance, which is just more money. Headsets tend to be just plug in USB, configure the provided software and go.
I just want good surround sound for mainly single player gaming in my office/PC room.

georly

Oh wow. I need a new headset and this looks great. Mine's 5~ years old now and held together with tape and glue. It'd be nice if this hooked up to wii u somehow but I don't see that happening unfortunately (unless the game has ALL audio to gamepad, which isn't all games, unfortunately). I assume there's no good headset that also supports wii u (as it'd have to be tied to HDMI audio somehow :/)

Ilmyr

Steelseries Siberia v2

steelseries-siberia-v2-headset.jpg

It is cheap (~45€) and the sound quality is very good imho. It has a short cable for notebook/smarthphone usage and also comes with a cable extension.

Therefore it's my everday-carry headset! The microphone can be put into the left ear cup, so the headset appears as normal headphones.

To add one last detail: This thing is indestructible!
(i dont treat it well: not the cable, not the mic, and its still working perfect. I destroyed 6 other headsets before, but not this one!)

ref

I'd recommend the Hyper X Cloud II.

It's built very well, comes with 2 pairs of ear pads (velour and pleather), great mic quality and for a all in one, decent sound for most people.

I use this for my MP gaming where I want to be able to chat but use HD 598s for everything else.

Akronis

From what I've been told from various people, in terms of gaming headsets, the Hyper X Cloud II is the best.

I would never recommend any gaming headsets, they're all pretty shitty.

From what I've been told from various people, in terms of gaming headsets, the Hyper X Cloud II is the best.

I would never recommend any gaming headsets, they're all pretty shitty.

If I had to get very specifically a gaming headset, I get the Hyper X Cloud II's. They use a good baseline headphone in the Takstar Pro 80's and just add a detachable mic to them.

Headphones are something I won't ever buy used. There's a reason most places don't take non-faulty return headphones.

Honestly I'm still not sure. I'm certainly not an audiophile and I'm just not sold on the advantages of getting stereo headphones when I'm also seeing talk of needing amps/DACs to get the best performance, which is just more money. Headsets tend to be just plug in USB, configure the provided software and go.
I just want good surround sound for mainly single player gaming in my office/PC room.

Then just get the Hyper cloud 1 or 2.

Glad I came across this thread because I need new ones too. I have a pair of Gamecom 780s that are held together with tape and clothes hanger wire. Love them though.

I see the Hyper IIs are getting some love but the Sennheiser 558s are the same price on Amazon. I'm guessing the 558s would have better audio quality?

RedFox85

Cool so no one read the part where you said you prefer wireless! It's like a pre determined response to "need headset" lol. Anyway OP I have owned a few Logitech headsets in my day but never a wireless one, I feel ok with saying you should feel comfortable pulling the trigger on the one you posted. A friend of mine owned a razer set and said it was junk, but his mic was quite clear on comms - this however was wired. General consensus also seems to be that manufacturing on razer products is generally poor so there is that to consider.

My only experience with wireless cans is a pair of Turtle Beach x41's that sit hooked to my TV in the living room for late night gaming and those are only "ok" and highly susceptible to wireless interference. Check out which band your wireless cans operate on before you buy because the snap crackle and pop can be VERY annoying. As it doesn't sound like you are purely in this for audio quality or some kind of crazy audiophile that's really the only advice I can give.

Arulan

Buying an Amp and DAC isn't required. It depends on what headphones you buy. If it has a high impedance, such as HD600s (300 ohms), then you'll need one to properly drive it. Usually it's the more expensive headphones that are harder to drive. In your price range, the motherboard output is fine, but check the impedance nonetheless.

As for a external DAC, it you spend a lot of money on your headphones, you will want one to get the best output. But again, in your price range I wouldn't worry about it.

I'm surprised the HD598s are so expensive in your country, but they'd be just as easy to "plug and play". You don't need to buy an Amp or DAC either. I've heard some great things about the Philips SHP9500, but I personally haven't tried them. They also don't require anything else. I'll repeat it again, with good open stereo headphones with good detail and soundstage, you're likely not going to want virtual surround sound. But some opinions differ. Either way, virtual surround sound is significantly better with open headphones with good detail and soundstage. See if you can find a headphone store near you to try some on.

Cool so no one read the part where you said you prefer wireless! It's like a pre determined response to "need headset" lol.

Wireless is arguably terrible. If he's willing to make such a significant compromise for wireless, then that's another discussion entirely.

Arrrammis

I just bought a pair of Sennheiser 598's for $50 on black friday from amazon and then got an antlion modmic 4.0 mic. So far, best decision I have made as far as gaming headsets go.

I can't recommend the modmic enough. It is a great microphone that can be attached to any pair of headphones (via magnet and a sticky piece), and then removed easily. See here: http://www.modmic.com/products/modmic-4-0

Akronis

What software do you recommend?

The only software I'm aware of is Razer Surround which is pretty shitty and can conflict with some games.

Dedicated DACs typically have a DSP like Dolby Surround or SBX which have much better surround emulation.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I wouldn't go with the Logitech G930. I got one and there is a crackling sound that never goes away.

I've had only an amazing experience with my G930s, rate them even higher than my Astro A50s (by a long shot actually).

Perhaps you have a static interference in your loop: when my AC is on in my room, I get a buzz through my G930s, could be the same for you.

Link0080

I have a G930, I don't mind the sound but what bothers me is the battery life. Really wish it was longer.

I've read really good things about the Steelseries Siberia 800. I really like the swappable battery and that 1 charges in the mix amp. I'd get one but its pretty expensive at $300, if I see a nice deal I just might get it.

Lagamorph

Wireless is arguably terrible. If he's willing to make such a significant compromise for wireless, then that's another discussion entirely.
The advantage if wireless is, well, the lack of wires, since I dislike having words trailing across my desk. I already have wired keyboard and mouse so was hoping to keep from adding more wires to the mix.

I can't say I've really noticed any quality issues with my current wireless headset.

The current favourite in the thread seems to be the Cloud II's, but it's just them being wired that makes me hesitant and open to other options.

TheNAC

Banned
Any suggestions on the PS4 side? Cost is not an issue. I know I want surround sound so I can track some foot steps.

Get either sony or sennheiser headphones, maybe AKG too I didn't follow it recently, and then slap a mic on it
"gaming" labelled stuff is in general a terrible, lazy solution

HyperX cloud or Sennheiser game One's if you can afford them.

I use the PC360's and they're fine.

Or be a nerd and go the amp/add on mic route which is a pain but lets you post about it on message boards.

Brandon F

Well, I decided to go with the Kingston Hyper Cloud II. Ultimately it just came down to the enormous positive recommendations all over the internet they were getting.

I really wanted wireless, but wasn't really ready to pay the astronomic costs for a few of the options on my list. I'll have to rearrange my desk layout to make the cabling work as my PC sits pretty far from where I want to hang my headset(hence my desire for wireless).

Curious if the OP made a decision as well yet.

Brandon F

Spent a lot of time last night with the Kingston Hyper Cloud II and so far they are a very nice improvement over the Sony Pulse Elites I previously had.

Sound quality came across as sharper and more distinct, but the largest difference is just how much more comfortable they are to wear. Much lighter and the cushioning is fantastic making wearing them a lot more pleasant(anyone with the Pulse Elites knows just how unbearable those can feel).

My only real issues so far are:

-Virtual 7.1 really does feel like a gimmick. Activating that button does boost the soundstage a bit and you can immediately tell a difference, but not really in the sense that it amplifies the surround effect. Everything just appears to be louder, rather than effective. Audiophiles have been screaming about how awful emulated surround modes can be, but this is the first instance I have come across where I would agree:)insert TOLD YOU SO!:). The Pulse Elites also had a virtual surround mode that did make a massive difference(especially on PS3/4), but disabling it pretty much transitioned the sound to a stark 2.0 feel, thus I always left Virtual surround on. On the Hyper Cloud's, I found deactivating the 7.1 switch almost felt more worthwhile as the effect still remains without the sound feeling a bit muddied by brute-forcing moar surround. The audio just felt cleaner and more natural while keeping the surround effect intact without it. So even after an evening of messing with Titanfall, Rise of the TR, and many other test games, I have ultimately stuck to keeping 7.1 off.

-Wires. Mostly because of my PC layout, but my cord has to travel far from the PC to my my headset and the cord just barely reaches with a bit of snag. I really wanted wireless, but recommended options were either too $$$, and I had a hard time ignoring how universally beloved the Hyper Cloud II set is. Volume and other controls are on the cord(instead of the cans) and therefore it is a bit awkward to keep fiddling with the cable, (already pulling at stuff during its long reach) just to make some adjustments.

I am half debating still returning them for some wireless options as I anticipated this wired problem for my layout, but so far I do really like them otherwise.

Lagamorph

Hm, that issue with the emulated surround sound on the Hyper Cloud makes me a little wary on them again, along with the wired part. Although my desk layout wouldn't suffer too much with wired (so long as the cable was at least 2m long which I believe it is on these) there's just my inherent dislike of wires trailing across the desk. Sometimes I do like to stand up and walk around with the headset on as well, just to stretch my legs or to go and get a drink from downstairs or something.

So the current options are,

Kingston Hyper X Cloud 2 - £69.99
Cheapest of the options and seems to be well recommended here. But wired and, from the sounds of things, not with very good surround sound.

Roccat Kave 5.1 - £99.97
Most expensive of the options and again, wired. But it seems to have true surround sound rather than emulated and a built-in USB sound card to drive this. Cable length of 3.6m though so at least a good length.

Corsair 2100 - £91.56
Wireless rather than wired like I want, though not sure how the surround sound holds up.

Why does this have to be so hard to choose?

Brandon F

Hm, that issue with the emulated surround sound on the Hyper Cloud makes me a little wary on them again, along with the wired part. Although my desk layout wouldn't suffer too much with wired (so long as the cable was at least 2m long which I believe it is on these) there's just my inherent dislike of wires trailing across the desk. Sometimes I do like to stand up and walk around with the headset on as well, just to stretch my legs or to go and get a drink from downstairs or something.

So the current options are,

Kingston Hyper X Cloud 2 - £69.99
Cheapest of the options and seems to be well recommended here. But wired and, from the sounds of things, not with very good surround sound.

Roccat Kave 5.1 - £99.97
Most expensive of the options and again, wired. But it seems to have true surround sound rather than emulated and a built-in USB sound card to drive this. Cable length of 3.6m though so at least a good length.

Corsair 2100 - £91.56
Wireless rather than wired like I want, though not sure how the surround sound holds up.

Why does this have to be so hard to choose?

Yea, the 7.1 effect on the Kingston Cloud 2 didn't impress me personally(turned off they sound great with distinct surround as well), but I will at least argue that the headphones are probably the most comfortable I've ever worn. I just adore how light and soft they are. I am planning to return mine as I really do need wireless to get an audio signal from my PC to the living room, but I kind of hate to give them up as I really kind of fell in love with everything else about them. Hell even the packaging and box is super slick! if the cord doesn't bother you(and a wonderful threaded cord it is!) then I still recommend them. I just wish they were wireless.

Lagamorph

Thing is, the more I think about it the more I convince myself that I couldn't live with the cable, that I'd always be looking at it and wishing I'd gone wireless when I had the chance. After using a wireless headset for so long it just feels hard to go back to wires.

Brandon F

Thing is, the more I think about it the more I convince myself that I couldn't live with the cable, that I'd always be looking at it and wishing I'd gone wireless when I had the chance. After using a wireless headset for so long it just feels hard to go back to wires.

Same here. I could have learned to live with the cord, but it also meant I would not be able to use them for PC gaming/use in my living room (which granted isn't often but that realization hit kind of hard after owning the Hyper Cloud's over the last week).

Beyond that, I just really did not enjoy being tethered to a USB slot. For most its hardly a concern, but I started to despise that cord running across my work area and considering all volume dials sit midway on the cord, it meant I needed to keep some cord slack within easy reach at all times(and that cord loved to regularly fall over the side of my desk forcing me to reach out blindly to lift it back onto the desk when I need to adjust volume). Just really miss the ability to make adjustments on the earcup itself like my last wireless set.

Its a petty excuse I know, but I really just can't go back to cords. Hell, its the same with mice and keyboards for me too. All wireless.

Bulzeeb

well this thread is interesting, I was planning to buy a headset and this have been a useful thread, might look into those hyper cloud II headset since it seems to be the most recommended model here

Top Bottom