• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need some information on some fighting games and Arcade cabinets

SCB3

So today I spent some time at a local Arcade and they had some Japanese fighting cabinets, a lot of retro and custom ones

One game I really enjoyed was this:

Does anyone have any more on what this is? I thought it was Guilty Gear at first but after playing 3rd it’s not similar at all

Also I am super interested in now building a Arcade cabinet if my own, I assume this is done via Raspberry Pi and emulation?

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Wikipedia is your friend. UN has been around for more than a decade and you can get several on Steam. TLDR: its an “anime” fighting game from Japan.

Re arcade cabinet: this is a deep dark (and depending on how you do it expensive) hole. You can keep it reasonable for sure, a raspberry pi4 will suit basic needs just fine and you can sometimes find those 1up arcade cabinets (gross imo) for under $250 on Woot, Amazon, Walmart (twitter is your friend here).

There are plenty of guides on YouTube covering how to convert one of those 1up cabs into a pi-cade of your very own!

Have fun!!

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Man, you could've googled this.

It's just under night in birth, it's on PS3/4, switch and pc, it's a pretty average fighter.

Definitely much better anime fighters out there.

& How could you think it is guilty gear? :s

SCB3

Man, you could've googled this.

It's just under night in birth, it's on PS3/4, switch and pc, it's a pretty average fighter.

Definitely much better anime fighters out there.

& How could you think it is guilty gear? :s
I was more looking for a consensus tbh, that and if it was called something different in English

My fighting game experience is soley more westernised, so SF / MvC, Tekken and MK really, a bit of Darkstalkers is about as Anime as I got

I enjoyed it a lot, somehting about the animation and move sets that was super appealing to me, if there is better

SCB3

Re arcade cabinet: this is a deep dark (and depending on how you do it expensive) hole. You can keep it reasonable for sure, a raspberry pi4 will suit basic needs just fine and you can sometimes find those 1up arcade cabinets (gross imo) for under $250 on Woot, Amazon, Walmart (twitter is your friend here).

There are plenty of guides on YouTube covering how to convert one of those 1up cabs into a pi-cade of your very own!
I was thinking more a long term project, maybe make the cabinet part myself or getting it custom made, my only real must have is the ability to play multiple games at Arcade quality, not just fighting games but some older beat-em ups like Turtles and Simpsons and a decent Cab setup like my current Fightstick or better

I've not decided on a 2P setup or not yet either

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
You can always order the pieces to make the cabinet or if you live close to a micro center and want to overpay to be able to “touch before you buy” you have options.

Personally i have owned 30+ cabs over my lifetime and would rather retro fit an old cab for nostalgia sake than build one from the available parts these days.

Also, you can just money hat it and buy a viewlix or candycab. Then just add whatever guts you want to it. Not only would it be super high quality but people that know what they are would be HELLA jealous…and that’s really the point tbh.

I was thinking more a long term project, maybe make the cabinet part myself or getting it custom made, my only real must have is the ability to play multiple games at Arcade quality, not just fighting games but some older beat-em ups like Turtles and Simpsons and a decent Cab setup like my current Fightstick or better

I've not decided on a 2P setup or not yet either
I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with. I have my own "Man Space" which is essentially the entire bottom story of our house that my wife has given me the clearance to do with what I want and an arcade cabinet is definitely one of those things I want. Though, I'd for sure want a a 2-player cabinet simply for Simpsons/TMNT beat-em-ups.

anthony2690

Banned
I was more looking for a consensus tbh, that and if it was called something different in English

My fighting game experience is soley more westernised, so SF / MvC, Tekken and MK really, a bit of Darkstalkers is about as Anime as I got

I enjoyed it a lot, somehting about the animation and move sets that was super appealing to me, if there is better

Blazblue is worth checking out if you haven't heard off it (not the tag game though, that's pretty trash) it's by arc system works who make the guilty gear games.

But blazblue central fiction is on PS4/PC and rollback online has been added recently.

French bread who make under night in birth have also recently made melty blood type lumina, another okay fighter (on every platform) and it has four free dlc fighters too. (The character designs are pretty bland though)

SCB3

Blazblue is worth checking out if you haven't heard off it (not the tag game though, that's pretty trash) it's by arc system works who make the guilty gear games.

But blazblue central fiction is on PS4/PC and rollback online has been added recently.

French bread who make under night in birth have also recently made melty blood type lumina, another okay fighter (on every platform) and it has four free dlc fighters too. (The character designs are pretty bland though)
Yea I’ve played Blazeblue before, I think on Xbox 360? And Meltyblood looked cool when I saw it a few months ago so that’s something to check out

STARSBarry

Gold Member
So today I spent some time at a local Arcade and they had some Japanese fighting cabinets, a lot of retro and custom ones

One game I really enjoyed was this:

Does anyone have any more on what this is? I thought it was Guilty Gear at first but after playing 3rd it’s not similar at all

Also I am super interested in now building a Arcade cabinet if my own, I assume this is done via Raspberry Pi and emulation?

Welcome to the wonderfull world of Japanese Mechanical Anime Fighters. This game actually came about when Melty Blood (anouther Japanese fighter) development got stalled, so I would advise you give Melty Blood a try, mechanically there a bit diffrent but in alot of ways "feel" the same.

SCB3

Welcome to the wonderfull world of Japanese Mechanical Anime Fighters. This game actually came about when Melty Blood (anouther Japanese fighter) development got stalled, so I would advise you give Melty Blood a try, mechanically there a bit diffrent but in alot of ways "feel" the same.
Yea I’m going to give that a look, it was something about the feel of how it played, especially the Chracter Merkava, I liked the movement a lot

Top Bottom