• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF’s Official Game Soundtracks of the Year 2013: Results and Archive

At last it finally arrived, that arrival being GhaleonQ's post in the voting thread, I highly recommend checking it if you haven't.
Oh and the results are nice to, fitting that on this day of MGR's victory I had the strange occurrence of being stuck at some 3 minute long traffic lights with "it has to be this way" playing since my friend just so happened to have the soundtrack on hand in his car, so that use of the music is quite the opposite to the in game experience, the musical dissonance of intense...waiting.

randomkid

I'm surprised at some of the lower entries, which I didn't think were special, but that's a worthy top 5.

SMT4 iz TOO special! (grumpy face)

I'm digging through your late-ass posts anyways, might as well crosspost em here for hot conversation when your life is more stable or whatever heh

Griss

Playing through Super Mario 3D World, the soundtrack had one major, major effect on me. What was it? Well, I've almost always hated playing through ghost houses and 'boss stages'. But the Ghost House, Boss and Bowser tracks were all so amazing that I couldn't wait to get to those stages every time in 3D World. (In addition they stayed away from the lame 'every boss stage music be lava platforming' trope.) It's amazing the effect good music can have on a game.

Still back Fire Emblem as OST of the year though.

Yuterald

...BATSHIT INSANE

Well, I wouldn't say MGR has the "worst" OST or anything like that, but I have no desire to listen to the music outside of hearing it when I actually play the game (which is sort of natural due to its dynamic nature). I sort of alluded to my thoughts on that game's OST in the other thread and while I have mad respect/appreciation for the production values and such, it just isn't the kind of rock/metal I'd listen to if it wasn't associated with a game that I liked (I'm more of a progressive rock/metal guy). I was actually going to nominate all three Platinum's titles for my honorable mentions, but I lost my writing steam after contributing to both this thread and the GOTY one. Wonderful 101 is definitely my favorite of the bunch, followed strongly by Anarchy Reigns, and then MGR.

For me, listening to video game music is usually accompanied by some other activity. I hardly ever listen to JUST to listen to it. I would generally say I'm always "working" when I've got video game tunes running. Typically, I'll listen to game music during my commute to and from work/office (which is about an hour both ways depending on traffic). Fortunately (or unfortunately) due to the nature of my job (hedge funds, reporting financial statements, in front of a computer for 8-10 hours a day) we're allowed to sit in head phones world to numb the pain. I've always got some sort of mixed playlist or an OST from a game I'm currently obsessed with in the mix. Other than that, I'll also listen to game music for inspiration when I'm working on my own project/game (let me just say I had Tokyo Overworld on repeat for hours when I was working on an RPG Maker project) or when I'm at the gym (Sakimoto for the treadmill strolls, Anarchy Reigns OST for the treadmill runs and whatever else for the weights, lol!). That's of course if I'm not listening to other "real" bands, I guess you could say.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Killer instinct pls. ;_;

Well deserved sweep by Rising, as that soundtrack is totally nuts. Great job on the thread Nert and everyone who voted!

Crayolan

Genuinely surprised to see Rayman Legends not breaking top 10 and Pokemon not breaking top 15.

Curious about how many people voted for Mario and Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympc Winter games, every one of them deserves a high-5.

NotLiquid

MGR on top. That'll do, GAF. That'll do.

I only miss Saints Row IV and TW101 from the top lists but then again I doubt a lot of people even played the latter ):

Genuinely surprised to see Rayman Legends not breaking top 10 and Pokemon not breaking top 15.

Curious about how many people voted for Mario and Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympc Winter games, every one of them deserves a high-5.

Pokemon, 26 points and 15 honorable mentions

3D World syndrome, too many HMs

(haha get it *shot*)

Neiteio

I don't feel 3D World's Ghost House theme at all.
Wow, really? The ghost house theme in 3D World is like something Joe Hisaishi would've composed for a Studio Ghibli flick. Magical stuff.

On another note, I'm glad "A Stranger I Remain" is listed under MGRR, but I wish one of the other samples was "Red Sun." Gives me goosebumps every time!

you know, I'm starting to question how accurate my tallies were after realizing I completely flubbed the original GTA V/SM3DW/FE:A/ALBW group in the GOTY thread

edit: nvm, I'm consistently getting slightly under the point totals I tallied using a quick search, which makes sense unlike going way over

NEO0MJ

Killer instinct pls. ;_;

Well deserved sweep by Rising, as that soundtrack is totally nuts. Great job on the thread Nert and everyone who voted!

If KI was played by more people it would have probably scored higher. Even on Gaf not everyone has an X1, or KI.

Mr. RHC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dPaVk4G1jg

"Well, Kojima Productions doesn't write their own music!"

The unenlightened masses
They cannot make the judgement call
Give up free will forever their voices won't be heard at all
Display obedience
While never stepping out of line
And blindly swear allegiance
Let your country control your mind

(Let your country control your soul)

Live in ignorance
And purchase your happiness
When blood and sweat is the real cost
Thinking ceases, the truth is lost
Don't you worry
You'll be told exactly what to do
I give my people the lives they need
The righteous will succeed

The fires of greed will burn the weak
So we'll make freedom obsolete
Making whole the fabric of society
Collective consciousness controlled as you will see

MIND CONTROL

Let your country control your soul

Chunky

I'm awfully honoured you chose one of my comments and thanks for all your effort making these threads Nert!
Bit gutted Guacamelee didn't get in, but 2/3 of my choices isn't bad.

Congrats to Metal Gear Rising! Like 2011's and 2012's Soundtrack of the Year results and voting thread, 2013's threads introduced me to some great music.

On top of that, I've enjoyed reading other people's insightful comments directed at their favorite video game music. Stuff like that gives me a greater appreciation for the music. Thanks for putting these together, Nert!

Nert

Hey everyone!

To mention something that is readily apparent, the original post hasn't been updated. After attempting to set aside the time to wrap things up on a few different occasions, only to have other things pop up, I've come to the conclusion that the window of opportunity to get things fixed in a timely manner has passed by. Some self-reflection has also lead me to realize that, as much as I love video game music and discussing it with everyone, it's the right time for me to step down as a co-runner of this topic.

It's been a lot of fun to be a part of these threads over the last four years. Over time, more and more people began to participate, more composers became aware of our appreciation of their work, and the quality of many of the ballots that you've submitted is remarkable. If I believed that I had enough time and drive to carry forward with these threads, I would, but I'm no longer in a position where I feel like I can give this topic what it deserves.

If another person or persons were to volunteer and take control of this for next year, I would definitely be excited to see what they could come up with. This format that we've stumbled into over time certainly isn't the only valid way to celebrate the best game soundtracks that a year has to offer. Based on all of the great discussions I've read over the years, I know that you'll all continue to do a great job of sharing your passion for this.

Thanks again for participating throughout the years, and go listen to Risk of Rain's soundtrack you haven't already :p

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
PM'd you, Nert. I wouldn't mind contributing more to this thread for 2014, only if people would like me to.

I think you did a good job over the last four years, though. You ended up scoping out way more soundtracks, and ended up introducing a lot of dark horse soundtracks from the most unlikely places. Globulous was a good example of that in 2012. I know you'll still vote for stuff when the time comes and contribute when you feel like you can, because I know you like this stuff.

Yay for Nert! \o/

GhaleonQ

Hey everyone!

To mention something that is readily apparent, the original post hasn't been updated. After attempting to set aside the time to wrap things up on a few different occasions, only to have other things pop up, I've come to the conclusion that the window of opportunity to get things fixed in a timely manner has passed by. Some self-reflection has also lead me to realize that, as much as I love video game music and discussing it with everyone, it's the right time for me to step down as a co-runner of this topic.

It's been a lot of fun to be a part of these threads over the last four years. Over time, more and more people began to participate, more composers became aware of our appreciation of their work, and the quality of many of the ballots that you've submitted is remarkable. If I believed that I had enough time and drive to carry forward with these threads, I would, but I'm no longer in a position where I feel like I can give this topic what it deserves.

If another person or persons were to volunteer and take control of this for next year, I would definitely be excited to see what they could come up with. This format that we've stumbled into over time certainly isn't the only valid way to celebrate the best game soundtracks that a year has to offer. Based on all of the great discussions I've read over the years, I know that you'll all continue to do a great job of sharing your passion for this.

Thanks again for participating throughout the years, and go listen to Risk of Rain's soundtrack you haven't already :p

I will not publicly post my private message of heartfelt dismay to Nert. But, maaaaaan, despite the influx of some cool, new people, so many whom I like on NeoGAF are disappearing. That includes me!

For what it's worth, I felt I was just unlucky with timing this year. I am more than happy to put in the work..."work" of listening to 75 or more soundtracks per year and creating the archive post. It's Nert's brilliant organizing abilities that would really be required.

Thanks, all, for participating. Hopefully, we can keep this running smoothly. I think it's 1 of NeoGAF's best topics, easily.

Chunky

Cheers for all your hard work, Nert. I've looked forward to the GOTY OST threads ever since I joined gaf and the work you put in, that's far and away more than would be expected, is the driving cause of that. Good luck with whatever it is that's eating your time!

Top Bottom