• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Official Game Soundtracks of the Year 2011: Results and Archive

So little love for the best soundtrack of 3DS :( (is not even listed in the archive)
Ace Combat Assault Horizon Legacy was INCREDIBLE in the sound department.
More people need to play this game.

Jharp

Good as Bastion and Skyrim were, I totally forgot about Shadows of the Damned and Dark Souls.

2011 was good for soundtracks. Deus Ex as tits too.

Riposte

I thought the "most hype" title screen of the year would be Skyrim, but then I played Batman: Arkham City. Kind of just want to boot it up just to see it again lol.

Grisby

Great picks and a great thread. Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

I'm ok with Deus Ex being up there that high.

Diamond

A high of 105 points is depressingly low. :(

It seems the votes were more diverse this year, perhaps because there was a good overall quality but, above all, there wasn't a juggernaut like Nier in the race. Deus Ex, Zelda, Bastion and Skyrim have all individually more votes than FFXIII, the runner-up of last year. Nier had near three times more votes than Final Fantasy.

linko9

I somehow missed the voting topic... I'd have gone with Bastion personally, followed by ghost trick. Dark Souls is puzzling... it's my GOTY, but there was hardly any music to speak of.

Nert

I'd like to have Black Rock Shooter added to the archive.

Black Rock Shooter/BLACK★ROCK SHOOTER http://vgmdb.net/album/28095
Manabu Namiki http://vgmdb.net/artist/249
Battle Field "Cisco Town"
WRS the Game
after human race

I wasn't around to vote, but I think it would have been my number one.

Sure thing! I'll have that up there in a couple of minutes.

A high of 105 points is depressingly low. :(

Not to retread discussions from the voting thread, but GhaleonQ and I are taking several steps to improve participation next year. In addition to starting the 2012 voting thread earlier in December (and extending the voting period to be three weeks instead of two), we're also doing whatever we can to get feedback from everyone and to get support from the mods.

Of course, the topic will never be as populated as the game of the year thread, as game soundtracks are just a subset of what people here are interested in (and some people find them more difficult to discuss).

Bumping this for the morning.

Hi Nert, I was reading the two threads and I think you have mixed two different games as one.

Ace Combat Assault Horizon Legacy (3DS) is a completly different game than Ace Combat Assault Horizon (360, PS3), with completly different soundtracks.

That would mean that both games mentioned in the first thread would have less total votes though, well the two people that voted those games lol

I see you have in the archive Ace Combat Assault Horizon soundtrack, but not Legacy.

I leave the songs that i put in the old thread so you can add them to the archive if its not a problem:
Ace Combat Assault Horizon Legacy (3DS)

Mission 5 - Opera House
Mission 22 - Fighter's Honor
Credits - Gravity

Thanks in advance!

Oxx

I opened the thread expecting that Xenoblade would be the overwhelming victor, but reading through the list did remind me of how much I enjoyed the music in Portal 2 and Ghost Trick.

I wish I had something insightful to add to a discussion here, but I'll just say that I wholeheartedly approve of the number 1 choice.

I've listened to the soundtrack that came with the game so many times, and that's only the tip of the iceberg. The game was packed-full of amazing stuff.

Nert

Hi Nert, I was reading the two threads and I think you have mixed two different games as one.

Ace Combat Assault Horizon Legacy (3DS) is a completly different game than Ace Combat Assault Horizon (360, PS3), with completly different soundtracks.

That would mean that both games mentioned in the first thread would have less total votes though, well the two people that voted those games lol

I see you have in the archive Ace Combat Assault Horizon soundtrack, but not Legacy.

I leave the songs that i put in the old thread so you can add them to the archive if its not a problem:
Ace Combat Assault Horizon Legacy (3DS)

Mission 5 - Opera House
Mission 22 - Fighter's Honor
Credits - Gravity

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the correction. I've updated the archive to include both Ace Combat Assault Horizon soundtracks (figuring out the Japanese name for the 3DS version made it easier to find album information). Also, many other archive entries now have links to songs, although I'm not done updating yet.

For those that want to look at the full vote tally, I included a link to the spreadsheet towards the bottom of the results post.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Thanks for the spreadsheet.

Code:
Soundtrack	                          points	  votes
El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron	   9	      4
I do not regret voting for El Shaddai at all. That soundtrack was wonderful~

When Frontier Gate ever gets music links other than the samples from the KonamiStyle page, I'll suggest them for the archive too. I liked that soundtrack a lot (and my copy hasn't come in the mail yet... v_v).

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Top 6 is really pretty much perfect.

Great to see Xenoblade on top. Well deserved. Such a fantastically diverse JRPG soundtrack that hits every genre it can with nary a misstep. One of those all time classic RPG soundtracks.

hum i missed the voting but those links are making me happy i kinda want to buy those OSTs...
I'm happy by the final result however.

Nert

Seeing that many people missed the topic this time around, I'll reiterate that the current plan is to open this year's voting thread on December 15th, and the voting period will be about three weeks long. Hopefully this will be enough to allow everyone that's interested to participate.

I like Xenoblade's soundtrack, but I wish Shimomura had more involvement with it. I'd probably love it a lot more than I do if it did.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I honestly think the ACE+ stuff on that soundtrack is the best stuff on it. But that's the kinda stuff I like. I like hearing new composers rather than the same old people over and over. Edit: And I've admitted that I'm not too keen on Shimomura's recent and current works (with Radiant Historia and Last Ranker being the exceptions to the rule).

I thought Xenoblade was worthy of an honourable mention during the year I listened to it. My favourite soundtracks of that particular year were Sonic Colours and Nier.

Edit: Eh, I'll post my top 5 of that year:
1) Sonic Colours / Nier
2) Final Fantasy XIII
3) Etrian Odyssey III
4) Deadly Premonition
5) Ys Seven

Nert

Hi everybody! As promised, this year's voting thread will be up two days from today. I wanted to mention two specific things about the this year's topic before it goes up:

1) The voting period will be just over three weeks long, running until the end of January 6th. This should give everybody plenty of time to poke around, converse with each other, and embellish their posts.

2) Xenoblade Chronicles will not be eligible to win this year. As this thread should make clear, NeoGAF has already given that game's soundtrack its due.

randomkid

Got a feeling Hotline Miami is a lock for this year's Neogaf winner but I wonder what this year's sleeper soundtrack/discussion starter will be.

randomkid

Whoops, totally forgot about Journey, yeah that'll be the one. Less polarizing and it's also got a good shot for regular old GOTY here so that helps it out.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm holding out until the last week to vote because I'm not finished sifting through some of the soundtracks this year, but I'm pretty sure Hotline Miami might run away with it too. Dustforce's soundtrack might be in contention in terms of being a soundtrack that might start discussions, but I don't know if I've seen a soundtrack this year that could spur the discussion that Mighty Switch Force's soundtrack did last year.

I'm still not sure if I'm going to look at Sound Shapes's soundtrack. That one's kind of weird because sometimes I feel like it's licensed stuff, but I love how the soundtrack is used in that game. I haven't played Journey yet, nor have I listened to the soundtrack yet because I get the feeling that the soundtrack might be very closely linked to the gameplay.

Gravity Rush is another one of those soundtracks that I noticed was generally liked around here.

Hm. It was so much easier to pick and choose soundtracks last year for some reason. I'm kind of stuck this year to be honest with you. I feel like I've listened to a lot but I'm not sure if I remember what I've listened to.

I'm holding out until the last week to vote because I'm not finished sifting through some of the soundtracks this year, but I'm pretty sure Hotline Miami might run away with it too. Dustforce's soundtrack might be in contention in terms of being a soundtrack that might start discussions, but I don't know if I've seen a soundtrack this year that could spur the discussion that Mighty Switch Force's soundtrack did last year.

I'm still not sure if I'm going to look at Sound Shapes's soundtrack. That one's kind of weird because sometimes I feel like it's licensed stuff, but I love how the soundtrack is used in that game. I haven't played Journey yet, nor have I listened to the soundtrack yet because I get the feeling that the soundtrack might be very closely linked to the gameplay.

Gravity Rush is another one of those soundtracks that I noticed was generally liked around here.

Hm. It was so much easier to pick and choose soundtracks last year for some reason. I'm kind of stuck this year to be honest with you. I feel like I've listened to a lot but I'm not sure if I remember what I've listened to.
I feel like i'm in a similar situation, i've got a current trio in mind but for whatever reason I don't feel that satisfied with them, typically the soundtracks I vote for are from games I played, I mean that's kind of an obvious approach but a recent thread related to peoples favourite tracks this year (as well as the numerous ones sprinkled throughout the year in general) had me listening to a fair few soundtracks for games I haven't played and I feel like if I don't truly check them out i'm kind of doing them a disservice yet at the same time some soundtracks really only worm their way into my head if i'm playing the game as well.

Much like with my current run down for GotY i'm feeling that there's a lot of great stuff this year but not much that has blown me completely away from what i've played myself leaving a surplus of choice to potentially go with yet i'm not sure of what ones to back.
Yes, Soundtrack of the Year is serious business!

Top Bottom