• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nepal bans PUBG: "negative impact on children"

llien

Nepal yesterday moved to ban the online game PlayerUnkown's Battlegrounds, citing negative impact of the game on children and their development. Citing violent content and its effect as the primordial reason for the ban, Sandip Adhikari, deputy director at Nepal Telecommunications Authority (NTA), the nation's telecoms regulator, told Reuters that ""We have ordered the ban on PUBG because it is addictive to children and teenagers."

As part of the ban, all internet service providers, mobile operators and network service providers were instructed to block streaming of the game. Gamers might find ways to circumvent this limitation in order to still be able to play the game; or they'll simply migrate to one of the other Battle Royale games on offer, such as Fortnite or Apex Legends, instead. It's interesting to wonder whether the government of Nepal will keep on chasing the next online game fad one by one or if actual studies on the negative impact of these games are fielded by the Nepalese government.

FWrPCDSOlsnrANfY.jpg

Techpowerup

wipeout364

Are they going to ban every other vice that is supposed to be for adults as well. Last time I checked isn’t PUBG rated mature?
This is more about giving Prince Harry the middle finger then caring about the kids.

Diddy X

Conflict games are alright in the right hands, a kid playing it by himself all day long.... it could hurt the kid.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
just let them play what they want for goodness sake. they'll be OK. leave the parenting to the parents. if lil timmy ends up a pale basement dwelling 30 year old video game addict then well that's on the parents. the government shouldn't be stepping in.

Last edited:

Shifty

I feel like immediately celebrating this is encouraging the wrong precedent of "banning video games we don't like is a-okay".

That said, it is PUBG. And PUBG can suck it.

Last edited:

Fbh

Thank god.
Now that the only violent videogame in the market has been blocked the youth of Nepal is finally safe

So many people seem OK with censorship when it affects things they don't like.

Or are you trolling?

I think most are joking. But yeah, it's weird.

Sony blocks half naked anime girls (which, don't take me wrong, is stupid): "OMG Sony is literally the north Korea of gaming"

A country bans an entire game and threatens to arrest people found playing it: "That's awesome because I don't like that game because it's not for real gamers like me!!!"

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I can’t endorse this, we’ve had countries limit content before and at the end of the day it’s about control.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Booooooo!

B7fO0iP.gif

Remember when gamers in the West united against the Jack Thompsons and the busybody church moms who attempted to pull this same stuff in the 80s and 90s? Let's bring that attitude back, please. It's pathetic that a 21st century government would need to ban things "for the children!!!".

wipeout364

Seriously anybody celebrating this should think how they would feel if Trump and Congress banned first person shooters with blood or gore, GTA, Resident evil and all internet content related to them with threats of criminal charges against ISP’s and content creators. It’s ridiculous.

People would go insane here.

joe_zazen

Do people here think corporations don't make addictive products that target susceptible populations? Addictive products are by far the most profitable products. The more addictive your game, app, cigarette, drug, online service, snack food, etc. the more money you make. Thats why you see sugar in hot dogs, for example; or that 1 second pause before gmail opens.

So why the hate whenever a govt or heir to the throne mentions this fact?

Dunki

Do people here think corporations don't make addictive products that target susceptible populations? Addictive products are by far the most profitable products. The more addictive your game, app, cigarette, drug, online service, snack food, etc. the more money you make. Thats why you see sugar in hot dogs, for example; or that 1 second pause before gmail opens.

Because we do not live in Nazi Germany. NO FORM OF CENSORSHIP is OK. You do not like it? Fine do not play it? You think it is addicting to children? How about do your fucking job as parents instead. And if you child gets addicted than maybe you are just a shitty parent in the first place.

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned

I'm fine with them mentioning, I'm fine with them advising the parents, I'm not fine with them banning hames, cigarettes, or any form of food.

Also it's pretty stupid to ban 1 game out of fucking thousands. PUBG isn't even the worst offender of the "addictive" factor

lukilladog

If they think violence is addictive and is bad for children, then they should ban the animal sacrifice slaughter festivals as well, I´ve seen the pics :messenger_astonished:

Last edited:

Simply_Bry

Who cares about evidence anyway. Blaming games for all of today's problems is easy for politicians who don't like games in the first place.

DonF

Slippery slope. I know many people hate on Battle royales, but GTA could be next. Also, government controlling in this level isn't healthy.

Weilthain

Banned
How can these people be so stupid. I wonder if they know people can play other games. They probably don’t.

Last edited:

petran79

Banned
Booooooo!

B7fO0iP.gif

Remember when gamers in the West united against the Jack Thompsons and the busybody church moms who attempted to pull this same stuff in the 80s and 90s? Let's bring that attitude back, please. It's pathetic that a 21st century government would need to ban things "for the children!!!".

Parents cant control their kids anymore. In fact they are controlled by them. So the nanny state has to take care

Top Bottom