• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix Anime News Thread (Evangelion, Ultraman, Cowboy Bebop etc...)

Typhares

So it seems Netflix is investing quite heavily in anime. Evangelion is big get, Saint Seiya is also quite huge, in France it's almost as well known as Dragon Ball for people growing up in the 90s.

The two titles that didn’t get trailers were the previously announced Saint Seiya: Knights of the Zodiac from Toei—an adaptation of the “Galaxy War” and “Silver Saint” arcs of Masami Kurumada’s beloved manga—due to hit Netflix worldwide in summer 2019, and GONZO’s newly revealed 7SEED, a post-apocalyptic drama following a group of specially-selected survivors in the wake of a meteorite smashing into Earth and wiping out most life, due out in April 2019.

And they are making a live action Cowboy Bebop
NTFX_NX_CowboyBebop_Announce20181121_5914_eal2ki.gif

AfricanKing

This is like the only benefit to a very competitive streaming industry ... I hate having to pay for multiple subscriptions but this is how you stay fucking competitive

nkarafo

I'm interested to see the image quality of Evangelion. Are they going to use any remaster or high-res version? It's a pretty old show.

J-Roderton

Eva? Hell yes. I'm missing a couple dvds so I can never watch the series in its entirety when I want. Excellent news.

Fbh

Wow Live action Cowboy bebop? That's pretty big news. It's going to be hard to do the original justice since it's nearly perfect (as far as accomplishing its vision goes) .
Given the current track record of live action anime adaptations on netflix I won't expect much but I REALLY hope they get it right.

I wonder what they will do with Ed. It's the one character that I don't see translating well to live action

Last edited:

Typhares

Is the live action Cowboy Bebop thing the Keanu Reeves thing or is this something else?

What's the Keanu thing? Outside of a meme I don't know what you are referencing.

Wow Live action Cowboy bebop? That's pretty big news. It's going to be hard to do the original justice since it's nearly perfect (as far as accomplishing its vision goes) .
Given the current track record of live action anime adaptations on netflix I won't expect much but I REALLY hope they get it right.

I wonder what they will do with Ed. It's the one character that I don't see translating well to live action

About cowboy bebop maybe some hope:

Fbh

What's the Keanu thing? Outside of a meme I don't know what you are referencing.

About cowboy bebop maybe some hope:

Cool. Gives me hope it will at least not be terrible.

Would also be nice if they started streaming the anime (and movie) to build up hype

petran79

Banned
Hopefully there will be parity between America, Western Europe, East Europe and the Middle East because where I live we get the short end of the stick despite paying the same

Ichabod

Banned
Pleasantly surprised at this news. I imagine Netflix will be making more big moves like this leading up to the arrival of Disney+.

Typhares

Keanu Reeves was supposed to be playing Spike in a live action film.

Looks like this is something different.

Looks like the Keanu Reeves film isn't happening now. Found this from 2009:

https://www.denofgeek.com/movies/13926/keanu-reeves-set-for-cowboy-bebop-movie

The original Variety article no longer exists.

Ah I think I vaguely remember this, thanks.

Damage control before twitter goes off with the Manga/Anime/Live Action meme? Still, surprised EVA is being shown again.

Last edited:
Really happy about Evengelion - Netflix getting anime is pretty good as they seem to have better track record on making them available globally unlike Crunchyroll where I can't watch like half of their shows without VPN.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Cowboy Bebop is one of the few anime series that even non-anime fans can like.

Its a good choice because lord knows Star Trek Discovery and Lost in Space are NOT cutting it in the sci-fi space department.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I wanted to watch Eva again but couldn’t find it reasonably priced anywhere. This is good news.

I wish I didn't have to wait til spring to see EVA again :messenger_weary: it would have been a nice holiday surprise, but this is good news none the less

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
These are extremely mainstream animes. I don't think there are many people that watch anime and haven't watched these. From all of these I recommend Cowboy Bebop, EVA is a gigantic mess and Ultraman has not aged well. (also not anime)

Top Bottom