• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Animals/Species discovered in 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not all of these were discovered in 2013, some were several years ago. And the striped bat Niumbaha superba was first collected in 1939; it's just that this year a new specimen allowed them to reclassify it as a new genus.

That's what's most interesting to me: that several of these animals are not just new species, but new genera. That means they're even more surprising, more different from previously attested animals. Besides the bat, there's the two-legged lizard Jarujinia. Also, the two-legged Sirenoscincus is only the second species in a genus first described just 9 years ago.

Looking around, it seems that the most recent higher-level taxon discovered was Concentricycloidea, in 1986--currently listed as an infraclass. So there's still plenty out there to go. Awesome stuff!

Updated with Crocidura sapaensis, a shrew.
uwhf0vC.jpg

Not all of these were discovered in 2013, some were several years ago. And the striped bat Niumbaha superba was first collected in 1939; it's just that this year a new specimen allowed them to reclassify it as a new genus.

That's what's most interesting to me: that several of these animals are not just new species, but new genera. That means they're even more surprising, more different from previously attested animals. Besides the bat, there's the two-legged lizard Jarujinia. Also, the two-legged Sirenoscincus is only the second species in a genus first described just 9 years ago.

Looking around, it seems that the most recent higher-level taxon discovered was Concentricycloidea, in 1986--currently listed as an infraclass. So there's still plenty out there to go. Awesome stuff!

):
I'm sorry. I guess I don't do good enough research ):

elwes

I like it how all these names are literal descriptions of the animal.

"Hey Dave, what should we call this new mouse looking thing?"

"Well...it's face kind of looks like a butt, and it walks sideways."

"Alright, you cool with Crab-walking Buttface Mouse?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom