• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new game comedy coming to G4?

ekips

--news story--

As part of an initial push into original scripted programming, G4 has signed a deal with writer-director-actor Adam de la Pena, creator and co-star of Comedy Central's "I'm With Busey," for a half-hour animated pilot set in the world of 1980s video game programmers.

The untitled project focuses on two video game programmers whose lives are turned upside down when GameAvision, the freewheeling company at which they've spent their whole careers, is purchased by a crazed Texas businessman who knows nothing about video games except that they "sell good." The duo soon find themselves getting into one office scrape and confrontation after another.

The project will be produced in Los Angeles by de la Pena's company, Monkey Wrangler Prods. De la Pena also is the co-creator of and provides voices for Adult Swim's "Minoriteam"; he wrote for and appeared on Comedy Central's "The Man Show" (which airs on G4 at 10 weeknights) and "Crank Yankers"; and wrote for ABC's "Jimmy Kimmel Live."

Neal Tiles, president of G4, which launched in 2002 as a video game-centric network but has in recent months begun broadening its focus, said the animated project fits in perfectly with the network's lineup and will appeal to its target demo of males 18-34.

"First and foremost, it's created by Adam de la Pena, who I think is perfect in terms of his track record in appealing to the young male demo," Tiles said. "No. 2, there's obviously the overlay of the video game company. ... In addition, we know that animation is a very popular genre with young males. Those three things wrapped together make this project something of big interest to us."

Tiles also said that the de la Pena project -- along with the recently announced animated series based on the film "Spaceballs," a partnership among G4, MGM Studios Inc., Brooksfilms Ltd. and Berliner Film Companie GmbH -- marks the "first big project for us in terms of getting into developing original programming." He noted that the Comcast Corp.-owned network has various other projects in the works but declined comment except that "we're looking at all our options" and "there are no plans to announce anything in terms of live-action scripted, but that doesn't mean we're not interested."

For his part, de la Pena said G4 is a good fit for his project.

"I love that G4 is always trying different things -- it's a network and an audience that really get the kind of humor I do," de La Pena said. "After careful consideration of other offers, I chose G4 because they went out of their way to make me feel like I could make the exact show I wanted to make. For me, that is the most important thing."

De la Pena is repped by UTA and manager Pamela Thomas.
http://www.monkeywranglerproductions.com/
www.bitterclown.com

Joeroll

I really dislike G4, as do many others. But, I got to say I really like this idea. I liked the Busey show(cause Busey rocks ass). And I hope this is good too. Just not good enough so that G4 gets some credibility. ;)

It's a trick! They're trying to fool us back!

Kind of weird concept to green-light given their current content shift, anyway. But I'll probably give it a shot. Hopefully the art isn't ugly and cheap.

Top Bottom