• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New 'Legacy of Kain' Game In The Works?

There's some speculation going around that there's a possibility of a new Legacy of Kain game in the works.

About a year or so ago there was a poll. asking if people did want to see a new game in the series get made and that it was a legitimate poll.

I don't know how I feel about this because of the current atmosphere of the gaming industry but I still would be excited to hear about a new game. I've been a huge fan ever since the original Blood Omen for the PlayStation. It remains one of my favorite video game franchises of all time.

Legacy Of Kain Fans Are Convinced The Next Game In The Series Is Being Secretly Tested Soon

Crystal Dynamics is having a secret playtest in May, and some fans think that it's for a new Legacy of Kain game.

By Darryn Bonthuys on April 20, 2023 at 10:16AM PDT

Crystal Dynamics is preparing to hold a secret playtest for one of its upcoming projects in May, with some fans speculating that the Tomb Raider developer will invite select players to try out a new Legacy of Kain game.

Crystal Dynamics confirmed to PCGamesN that a closed playtest is happening next month, but the studio didn't mention which game will be tried out on an invite-only basis. "I can confirm that the invitation is genuine and from us," a Crystal Dynamics' representative said to PCGamesN, "but can't give any information about what they'll be testing." What is known is that players who completed a recent Legacy of Kain survey report have received an email from Crystal Dynamics for the playtests. "Crystal Dynamics will be hosting playtests for a new game from May 3 to May 12," the invitation reportedly reads. "The playtests will be remote so you can participate from home as long as you have a PC or Mac, web camera, microphone, and the Microsoft Teams app installed." In October last year, over 100,000 people completed the Legacy of Kain survey, according to the studio, signaling that it heard fans "loudly and clearly" on their desire to see the return of the franchise. "We wanted to gain a community perspective on what players are looking for should we revisit the land of Nosgoth and our iconic IP, Legacy of Kain," Crystal Dynamics and Eidos CEO Phil Rogers said during a parent company Embracer Group's earnings call (via VGC).

The last true entry in the series, Defiance, was released 20 years ago in 2003, and since then, the series has laid dormant as Crystal Dynamics worked on other projects. The developer has a full slate currently, as it's co-developing a Perfect Dark reboot with Microsoft studio The Initiative and is working on a new Tomb Raider game, which will be published by Amazon. Its previous game, Marvel's Avengers, received its final update in March.

Last edited:
Dark Souls Gamer GIF by BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
It was kinda known cuz they did a survey a year or so ago asking fans what would they prefer in the Kain universe, remake, new, etc.

It was kinda known cuz they did a survey a year or so ago asking fans what would they prefer in the Kain universe, remake, new, etc.
Yeah I mentioned that in my post. It was a legitimate survey and most people responded saying they definitely want a new one.

But the way Western games are nowadays I'm really not sure how good this is going to turn out. Also, especially if Amy Hennig is not involved.

small_law

As much as I want a remake of soul reaver, I don't think you could release that game with the original ending it had. It was the narrative equivalent of a speeding car into a brick wall at 85 mph.

My understanding is Crystal Dynamics was out of time and out of money and had to ship. Where Soul Reaver ends is as far as they got.

Audiences wouldn't tolerate something like that anymore. We didn't really back then either, but Soul Reaver is one hell of a video game.

Romulus

I hope we return to Kain's story. Raziel was great, but after the first soul reaver, it got repetitive and old fast.

I'm actually watching Three's Company right now and this episode has Michael Bell in it.

For those who don't know, Michael Bell is the voice of Raziel.

RagnarokIV

It would be shit, either copying established AAA trends or being yet another generic "souls" ripoff. Also the dialogue would be dumbed down and the voice acting would have the same shitty new voice actors that are everywhere (eg troy baker as Raziel lmao).

For what it's worth I think there's an Enhanced Edition for Soul Reaver coming to PC to replace the original (and inferior) delisted version. Someone has told me they play tested it. I 70% believe them.

CosmicComet

It would be shit, either copying established AAA trends or being yet another generic "souls" ripoff. Also the dialogue would be dumbed down and the voice acting would have the same shitty new voice actors that are everywhere (eg troy baker as Raziel lmao).

For what it's worth I think there's an Enhanced Edition for Soul Reaver coming to PC to replace the original (and inferior) delisted version. Someone has told me they play tested it. I 70% believe them.
Omg Troy Baker I can't unhear it now.

No Simon Templeton and no Michael Bell would mean instant suckage.

RIP Tony Jay.

Also new game would have to appeal to "modern audiences" because you got to satisfy those ESG scores.

Top Bottom